Author Topic: Cooking Ribs and Pork Shoulder?  (Read 5975 times)

Offline Gobble

Cooking Ribs and Pork Shoulder?
« Reply #-1 on: May 22, 2014, 10:56:44 AM »
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum, but have been lurking for a while.  Some great information on here and I've learned a lot.  Quick question.  I purchased a PBC several months ago and have had several successful cooks (ribs, chicken, tri-tip, whole sirloin).  I'm planning on cooking a pork shoulder and a couple of racks of ribs this weekend and wanted some suggestions.  I was hoping to cook them simultaneously, but it sounds like I need to foil the pork shoulder towards the end of the cook and finish it on the grill grate, thus eliminating room in the cooker for the ribs to hang.  Is there any way around this where I can cook both the ribs and shoulder at the same time?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

JR

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Cooking Ribs and Pork Shoulder?
« on: May 22, 2014, 11:50:09 AM »
1st, welcome to the forum.  How big is your piece of pork?  It is a butt I assume and not the whole shoulder...  Also, whole spares, St Louis cut or baby backs?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 11:55:40 AM by sliding_billy »
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 12:08:00 PM »
Welcome from Minnesota. I'm not the guy that can help you with this, but there are many here that can and will!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 12:45:56 PM »
Greetings from Las Vegas.  I cannot help with your question, don't have a PBC yet, but wanted to say Welcome.  I'm sure you'll get lots of help soon though.   ;)

Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Pappymn

Cooking Ribs and Pork Shoulder?
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 02:09:10 PM »
Second welcome from Minnesota. I am on double secret probation and am not allowed to answer questions. ;D
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline JGARCIA

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 02:16:50 PM »
I am not sure on how much room is between the grate and the hooks but you could cut the rib racks in half to shorten them up, then hang everything.  When it is time to wrap the butt (if you are into that) you can put the grate in for the butt and still hang the half rack of ribs.  or just finish everything on the grate.
22.5" Weber Kettle
New Braunfels Bandera
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Weber Smokey Joe

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 02:18:15 PM »
After you foil the shoulder you could use a basket to hold and suspend it. Here is a picture of my Big Easy basket being used with chicken legs...

Or maybe use a steel plate and wire.

You could also cut the racks in half so they could hang with the grill in place.

And welcome to the forum BTW ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 02:45:45 PM »
Welcome to the forum.   Wish I had an answer for you, I'm still working on the wife to let me get one of those cookers
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 03:21:51 PM »
"hey there" from middle Georgia...and welcome.

Seems to me that the ribs will be finished way yonder before the shoulder is done so you may be able to pull them off and then wrap the roast and place on the rack.  (this idea may be edited at anytime by anybody)
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline Gobble

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 04:28:23 PM »
Thank everyone for the welcomes and replies.  I'm in Dallas and have enjoyed he forum.  It's a 7lb pork shoulder and 2 racks of baby backs...dinner for 6 people.  I'm thinking that I will have to cook the ribs on a rib rack given that there wont be room for them to hang when the shoulder is on the grate.  Anyone have experience cooking ribs in a rack on top of the grate as opposed to hanging them?  Will they cook the same?   

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 04:35:55 PM »
Thank everyone for the welcomes and replies.  I'm in Dallas and have enjoyed he forum.  It's a 7lb pork shoulder and 2 racks of baby backs...dinner for 6 people.  I'm thinking that I will have to cook the ribs on a rib rack given that there wont be room for them to hang when the shoulder is on the grate.  Anyone have experience cooking ribs in a rack on top of the grate as opposed to hanging them?  Will they cook the same?   
My son just moved to Dallas for the summer to work with kids at a local church.   
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 05:05:13 PM »
Welcome Gobble.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 05:34:12 PM »

Maybe instead of hanging the ribs you can roll and skewer them like this method http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=9244.msg122951#msg122951 and place them on the grill inside the PBC along with the pork shoulder.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2014, 07:47:38 PM »
Welcome from SE Georgia!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline RAD

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2014, 06:30:19 AM »
Welcome from FL and don't forget we need to see the results.
Love to cook and eat