Author Topic: Pork shoulder vs. Boston Butt  (Read 2906 times)

Offline PongGod

Pork shoulder vs. Boston Butt
« Reply #-1 on: May 24, 2014, 05:05:45 PM »
I've cooked a Boston Butt a couple of times on the PBC and the time required to cook seems to roughly parallel that of a brisket. Tomorrow, however, I'll be trying a whole pork shoulder which is about double the size of the Boston Butts I've dealt with previously. Based on that, should I expect the cook time to be substantially longer? I'd like to hear of others' experiences doing a pork shoulder so I can prepare accordingly.
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber Smokey Joe

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
Re: Pork shoulder vs. Boston Butt
« on: May 24, 2014, 07:21:29 PM »
If you're leaving it whole, then yes it will add some time, but not too much; maybe 10 - 15 % more time, depending on how you cook it (at least that's been my experience on the cookers I use).

Be sure to check it with a probe in the middle. When that probe slides in with almost no resistance, like it's warm butter, you know it's done.

Whole shoulders have a lot of "Wow" factor.  People love seeing that big chunk of meat come off the grill.

Be absolutely sure to get some pics to share with us! ;)
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 09:52:00 PM »
I will DEFINITELY be interested in the pictures of the whole shoulder.

Try to give some helpful tips, too. I'm just a backyard jack and need all the help I can get.

Just sayin'..
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 12:52:31 AM »

Absolutely agree with pics to share with us.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 01:13:22 AM »

Absolutely agree with pics to share with us.  ;)

X3 and your learning from the cook. I have a PBC and this sounds interesting.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 11:45:57 PM »
Sounds interesting - please poet some pics
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline PongGod

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 12:39:08 AM »
As requested...

[attachment deleted by admin]
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber Smokey Joe

Offline PongGod

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 12:55:16 AM »
Sorry that I'm such a n00b, but I couldn't figure out how to attach photos inline along with related commentary so I'm providing the commentary in this follow-up.

Started with about a 10# piece of meat. (My neighbor bought it and did all of the seasoning; my job was to cook it.) At about 2:45 into the cook, it still hadn't reached 120 degrees, so I cracked the lid about 1/2". This did the trick as the temperature then began to rise quite rapidly. By the 4-hour mark, I had reached 160, so I pulled it off and brought it inside to be wrapped in foil along with some additional liquids. In the meantime, I put the grate in and proceeded to grill up a couple of skirt steaks I had in waiting (I'll have pics in another post about this).

Returned the pork to the PBC and put lid back on. After about a half hour, the internal temperature hadn't done much so once again I cracked the lid a bit and then went out to run several errands. When I returned, it has already reached 199 (this was about 2-1/2 hours after I had put it back in). I wrapped the foiled bundle in some large towels and stuck it into my cooler to let it rest. It smelled amazing, by the way.

My neighbor returns and announces that they've had a change of plans; they wanted to go over to his sister-in-law's place about 30 miles away and since he didn't want to wait, I told him he could just take the whole cooler with him and by the time he got there it should be ready for consumption. Of course, I insisted that he save some for me!

Much to my dismay, I got a text from him a few hours later stating that it "had no taste". This is was most surprising since we had used the same marinade injection the last time with the Boston Butt and the taste was phenomenal. (I think the only difference was that he cut way back on the salt for the rub since the last time it was a bit on the salty side.) He also indicated that it seemed a bit dry, perhaps overcooked. Since we were aiming to pull it out of the PBC at 195 (per the instructional video), I don't think we missed it by enough to make that much of a difference. In any case, I'm still anxious to try it for myself. Even if it is a bit dry, it doesn't sound like something a little BBQ sauce won't fix.
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber Smokey Joe

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 01:14:53 AM »
Guess its just a learning experience. I will soon be in that boat,thanks for posting and let us know what you think on flavor.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.