Author Topic: Swai Filets dinner-400 calories  (Read 1967 times)

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
Swai Filets dinner-400 calories
« Reply #-1 on: June 04, 2014, 02:45:11 PM »
Another fast easy low cal dinner.Serves 2

2 14oz Swai Filets-500 calories
Zucchini,Mexican squash combo 1.4 lbs-88 cals
1 Canned green beans-85 cals
Butter 0.7 oz-140 cals
Sliced onion and lemon,not enough cals to count,what 10?
------------------------
Make medallions of squash,steam until el dante,salt,pepper.Heat the greenbeans

Put fish in baking pan,salt,pepper and fresh cilantro,the cilantro is fine tasting,about 6-8 leafs per fish.Divide the tiny amt butter onto both,slice onions and lemon on top.Cover dish top with tin foil and Bake at 300F for about 15 minutes.

Serve it up,about 410 calories per plate.Enough food that a third of squash wasnt eaten,still in pan.Of course you could have grilled fish and veggies too.A little Olive oil spray wouldnt affect cals but for a miniscule amt.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 02:51:08 PM by spuds »
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Smokerjunky

Re: Swai Filets dinner-400 calories
« on: June 04, 2014, 02:56:01 PM »
Another fast easy low cal dinner.Serves 2

2 14oz Swai Filets-500 calories
Zucchini,Mexican squash combo 1.4 lbs-88 cals
1 Canned green beans-85 cals
Butter 0.7 oz-140 cals
Sliced onion and lemon,not enough cals to count,what 10?
------------------------
Make medallions of squash,steam until el dante,salt,pepper.Heat the greenbeans

Put fish in baking pan,salt,pepper and fresh cilantro,the cilantro is fine tasting,about 6-8 leafs per fish.Divide the tiny amt butter onto both,slice onions and lemon on top.Cover dish top with tin foil and Bake at 300F for about 15 minutes.

Serve it up,about 410 calories per plate.Enough food that a third of squash wasnt eaten,still in pan.Of course you could have grilled fish and veggies too.A little Olive oil spray wouldnt affect cals but for a miniscule amt.

Looks great Spuds - what is a Swai?  That is new to me.  Thanks
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline spuds

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 03:03:19 PM »
Its like Talapia.Comes from the fast flowing waters of Mekong Delta in VN,so should be pretty clean.We buy it by the frozen box (30 lbs or so?),and packing if any indication its really done right.Just a light white fish.And cheap,can get on sale as low as 1.59/1.99 lb (hence we buy the frozen box),usually around 2.99/3.99 a lb.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 03:06:57 PM »
The dinner looks great Spuds, and not to scare you or anyone.

Tilapia is not the same fish as Swai

I think I would be careful....Fish used to be healthy for us, but now we need to pay attention to the source of the fish. What are "farmed" fish" Where are the farms? What assurance of reasonable regulations for conditions are there?
Your food safety is largely up to you anymore...

Scary......
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline spuds

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 03:20:34 PM »
Ive looked into the safety,a LOT of propaganda is involved in the reporting to demonize the imported fish.Our take is if done large scale by reputable companies(Yes,they DO exist) and not some dirt poor starving farmer its good fish.a LOT of dirty reporting done ,and paid for,by domestic producers to keep it off the market here.The catfish story would blow you away its such dirty politics.

Believe me,that farmer in the video isnt having his fish processed by major companies in huge amts in world class processing facilities for USA market consumption on huge scale,there is no economy in scale involved there.Thats VN peasant food for the the subsistence farmer. The major producers,their outfits are strictly world class in scope and products,designed with huge money for the world market.

So as you say,DO YOUR RESEARCH! Critical. Thats my take on Swai,and I did do a lot of research,you should know I research any topic that interests me in depth.And fish is one  of those topics.

Where we have problems is in fish and seaweed products now being wrecked havoc upon by the continuing meltdown in Fukushima that continues unabated and will continue for decades as there is nothing that they can do about it.So we will just have the controlled media ignore it and pretend its gone away,it hasnt!Those products(Pacific region) are off the menu here,such a shame.Japanese seaweed used to be among the best in the world,wouldnt touch it now.

No,only like talapia in that its a light fleshed fish.Swai is Swai,Talapia is Talapia. But the recipes,BTW,are interchangeable.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 03:33:02 PM by spuds »

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 03:31:40 PM »
Good info Spuds. I had a feeling that the information in the video was not necessarily "objective".....

So - it sounds like we should get to know where our fish comes from before we buy it. Any additional tips, and methods you can help us out with?
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 03:35:21 PM »
Good looking plate spuds.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline spuds

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 03:40:27 PM »
Good info Spuds. I had a feeling that the information in the video was not necessarily "objective".....

So - it sounds like we should get to know where our fish comes from before we buy it. Any additional tips, and methods you can help us out with?
Not really offhand,but you made the critical point I agree with,we really have to know whats in our food nowadays,and how its produced.I could eat a lot healthier for sure,but I sure cant afford organic produce  except for what I can produce,and organic and grass fed meats,put the nutritional value vrs big farmed here to shame,not like its even the same animal.

I was just reading how dairy products,and eggs,organic free range grass fed,are like they are from different planets in nutritional value vrs feed lot cattle,or hay fed or grain fed cattle or battery chickens on health aspects.

Last trip to health store, organic potatoes 4 to 5 dollars a lb,out of my league.

Drinking a juice right now with organic golden beets,3 for 1.59,man is it good! WOW!Sure wish I knew a farmer or someone with a big garden I could barter with.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 03:50:38 PM by spuds »

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 03:44:13 PM »
Most ocean caught fish will test for something bad nowadays. Heck we have a whole circle of trash in the middle of the ocean. They find license plates in sharks stomachs and such. The world has been and continues to pollute our natural resources.

So unless you caught the fish yourself in some isolated lake that is untouched by man then you can be sure that fish is not "clean"

Thanks for the clarification Spuds. I am really not a Talapia or Swai fan but my wife does eat them.

Seems almost anything today can be twisted to fit someone's agenda. After all if it is on the Internet then it has to be true >:(
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline spuds

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 03:51:51 PM »
Most ocean caught fish will test for something bad nowadays. Heck we have a whole circle of trash in the middle of the ocean. They find license plates in sharks stomachs and such. The world has been and continues to pollute our natural resources.

So unless you caught the fish yourself in some isolated lake that is untouched by man then you can be sure that fish is not "clean"

Thanks for the clarification Spuds. I am really not a Talapia or Swai fan but my wife does eat them.

Seems almost anything today can be twisted to fit someone's agenda. After all if it is on the Internet then it has to be true >:(
Spot on Mike,we can only do our best as we can.Hee hee!,never knew a plate of fish could be so controversial,LOL!I dont particularly care for talapia either.Mrs doesnt really like fish period,she liked this OK.

Say,talk about OT,smoked salmon is good,dry it a bit in 150F degree oven for an hour or 2 or so after smoking and its REALLY good,knocks the oily fishy taste way down.Gourmet yumm!I have a friend who HATES smoked salmon,he and wife LOVED this.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 03:59:43 PM by spuds »

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 03:59:09 PM »
True...

Unless you own the dirt that grows the plants, that produce the crops, etc....I agree to a point. I just try to procure the best quality foods that I can when I am aware that they are from categories of foods that we know are more in jeopardy due to any number of reasons. Not panic driven, or paranoid. Just thinking that when we can - we are all better off when we know the history of where our food come from, and the potential conditions it is grown in.
Does it matter?...I tend to think this way: If you put gas in your car that you know has water and debris in it...you might be o.k. to travel. Or you might find that you have earned yourself a repair bill....
And - rather than just shrug and say "so what - I can't do anything about it"..I would like to think that we can. By asking questions, and by making choices with your wallet.

Even Wal-Mart has been seeing the need for offering more organically grown foods due to customer demand.

Sorry for the un-intended hijack Spuds.  I like the cook!  ;D
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline spuds

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 04:02:58 PM »
Hey,any info and comments,I welcome,I see conversation,not hijack,and learning comes about by sharing our experiences,Hijack away! 'Food' for thought,LOL! Ok,bad pun,bad pun. ;D

I so agree with the comments,all so valid.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 04:05:33 PM »
You have a real neighborly outlook Spuds. You get the gold star today! ;D ;D ;D
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline spuds

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 04:19:57 PM »
Lets go waaaay OT.Mexican Produce. With the improvements in the Mexican highway system,moving produce has gotten easier.HUGE expansion in their farms.

Friend says MEXICO,YUCK! But,look at Mexican farms,cant tell the difference from from ours,same equipment,same methods,same roads,same tractors and Semi's...looks like central California when you drive by.I mean REALLY looks the same.

Only possible gripe I have,is do they use banned pesticides? And if they do,does that mean OUR pesticides are somehow better,or just havent gone thru the eventual cycle that bans all organophosphate pesticides eventually?

How about those picking the crops,are they sanitary 'down there' What?,like they come HERE to harvest our crops,are they suddenly stupid when they do it at home?Or that Mexican farmers have some desire to produce contaminated harvests?

So I eat Mexican produce as well as US.Mass produced is pretty much mass produced,here or there.My local store is LOADED with products from everywhere,only total blacklist is China,those guys are nuts,kill you for pennies it seems,and not care.Would you like melamine with that product?

Again,we pick our comfort levels.

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2014, 04:20:53 PM »
Great looking plate spuds and the additional reading material provided by you and T was very informative, thanks to both of y'all.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)