Author Topic: A couple of tips I ran across  (Read 13469 times)

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
A couple of tips I ran across
« Reply #-1 on: June 20, 2014, 08:32:39 AM »
Here are a few tips I ran across.

Now that fresh corn is in season, one of the things we face is how to get the silk off of it. Try this..wrap a large rubber band around your fingers and then rub it against the corn kernels.  The silk gets trapped in the rubber band leaving a clean cob around.

(As an irrevelant aside. Speaking of corn cobs, I found out there is now a game out there called "corn holing".  When I first heard that I almost swallowed my snuff.  "Corn holing" had a completely different meaning when I was a kid and we definitely did not talk about having a "corn hole  tournament as I heard advertised on the radio yesterday.)

Sometimes I've cooked bacon in the oven on some tin foil and it would stick to the foil. I guess this idea will work on the grill also.  Next time just crumble up the tin foil and uncrumble it.  Then when you cook your bacon on it all them little ridges will keep it from stickin'.

Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: A couple of tips I ran across
« on: June 20, 2014, 08:39:43 AM »
Ha Ha, he said "corn hole."  Ha Ha!
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 08:41:34 AM »
Here are a few tips I ran across.

Now that fresh corn is in season, one of the things we face is how to get the silk off of it. Try this..wrap a large rubber band around your fingers and then rub it against the corn kernels.  The silk gets trapped in the rubber band leaving a clean cob around.

(As an irrevelant aside. Speaking of corn cobs, I found out there is now a game out there called "corn holing".  When I first heard that I almost swallowed my snuff.  "Corn holing" had a completely different meaning when I was a kid and we definitely did not talk about having a "corn hole  tournament as I heard advertised on the radio yesterday.)

Sometimes I've cooked bacon in the oven on some tin foil and it would stick to the foil. I guess this idea will work on the grill also.  Next time just crumble up the tin foil and uncrumble it.  Then when you cook your bacon on it all them little ridges will keep it from stickin'.

Dee
Dee the "corn holing" comment made me laugh so hard I spit my coffee all over my desk. :o
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 09:21:18 AM »
From what I understand the game of today has a sheet of plywood with a hole about six inches in diameter in it and the object is to chunk a bean bag in it from a distance.  I think you set up sort of like horseshoes.  I'd still like to talk to the person who came up with the name.  I bet it was not an old country boy from JAWJA.

Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 09:53:05 AM »
I literally spit up my beer the first time I heard someone using that term to describe what we always called a bean bag toss. The guy said they call it "corn hole" because the bags are filled with dried corn. Really? You gonna stick to that story?
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 10:14:50 AM »
I literally spit up my beer the first time I heard someone using that term to describe what we always called a bean bag toss. The guy said they call it "corn hole" because the bags are filled with dried corn. Really? You gonna stick to that story?

It still strikes me as odd when people come into Academy Sports and want to know where the corn hole games are. I was kind of speechless one day when a very attractive young lady asked me how to play it.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 10:54:30 AM »
I can't think of anything to say here....that without having to ban myself..... So....let's be careful guys. It is hysterical tho..... :D :D :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 11:04:38 AM »
Everything you want to know about Cornhole can be found at <a href="http://www.playcornhole.org">American Cornhole Association</a>

It is a fun game to play.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 11:07:45 AM »
I prefer lawn darts, but drunk idiots managed to get them banned by getting hit in the head by them.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS