Author Topic: Rust  (Read 5257 times)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Rust
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2012, 07:25:56 PM »
What gauge is the barrel made from?
If the rust recurs & it likely will, rather than Repaint try seasoning the bare metal areas with oil.

Good question LA!!!  I am gonna guess somewhere around 14 or 16 gauge...........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Over Dunn

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2012, 07:47:24 PM »
What gauge is the barrel made from?
If the rust recurs & it likely will, rather than Repaint try seasoning the bare metal areas with oil.

When I had my BDS (Big Drum Smoker), I was starting to get some spots after about nine months, and Rocky told me to sand them down, put a rust resistant primer on the spots, then spray paint with a high heat black grill paint. Worked like a charm. Thing looked brand new on the outside. I never cleaned the inside, except for the ashes. Cooked on that barrel for over two years, before I bought my first pellet grill in 2009. I don't know any thing about steel gauges, but Rocky's 18 inch weighed over eighty pounds.  Cooked every thing around 225 to 240 grill temp, and boy, did it get smokey food, so much so, my bride said, "Cease and desist"! And, of course, I did!!  ::) ;)

OD
GMG DANIEL BOONE
GMG JIM BOWIE
CharBroil CB500X
UDS
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline Phil LaMarche

• Member No Longer With Us
    • W9DVM
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2012, 12:54:36 PM »
I'm shocked to see my SRG rusting at the bottom of the barrell next to the stand.  Haven't had it that long.  Shame, really love using it.
Charbroil 4 burner RED
Charbroil SRG
Large Big Green Egg
Pit Barrel Cooker