Author Topic: Curiosity  (Read 6361 times)

Offline Patrick_CT

Curiosity
« Reply #-1 on: December 27, 2012, 05:33:30 PM »
Just out of curiosity, if I have already have a 55 gallon drum, a pellet grill and a couple different charcoal grills, what makes this unit different? It looks nice.. really nice, but I am trying to figure out how it is different. Hard to justify 2 drum smokers in 6 months.

There are a lot of people here that I have seen with other ones in the past and now also have these, so there must be good reasons.

Thanks

p.s. I like being convinced to buy stuff :)
Mak 2 star #400
UDS (but I do not think it is too ugly)

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
Curiosity
« on: December 27, 2012, 05:46:03 PM »
Just wait till smokeasaurus gets a hold of this ;) ;D
You gonna buy 2 of them. I never had a drum type cooker and was looking to get some type of charcoal cooker. I'm glad he posted on the PBC. I already have Bradley smoker, SRG, and Trager. :)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline sparky

• northern california
Re: Curiosity
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 05:58:15 PM »
i had 2 of the same drums you have patrick.  the pit barrel cooker just cooks differently that the 55 gallon drum.  the pbc is only 30 gallons.  easy to clean and uses less full.  the food thats hung in it always comes out better.  cooked perfectly from top to bottom.  tri's, chicken, ribs, roast all come out juicy and cooked perfect.  i had a problem w/ the drum being 20 - 40 degrees hotter in the middle.  the pbc also holds more food because you can hang he food.  8 racks a ribs at a time.  8 chicken 1/2s.  it just cooks better for me.  and alot of other ppl too.   8)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Sam3

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 06:03:45 PM »
Patrick,
Check out their website and watch the video's. The PBC produces great food, consistently. And it's so easy to use.
I use this more than my 22.5 WSM. I absolutely love it.

Sam
MAK 1 Star #385
Bradley OBS w/mods
WSM 22.5
Weber Platinum
Char Broil BEESR
La Caja China
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 07:39:49 PM »
Got a hold of it Mike!!!  8)

First off this is not a UDS type barrel smoker.

It does not cook all day at 225 degrees.

It is not even a smoker

It is a power cooker.

You can cook all day on 8 lbs of Kingsford

You don't even need wood...trust me!!!!!

You still get the "grease fog" old grandpa smokehouse pit flavor from the meat sitting directly over the coals

You get to use lighter fluid and not have any issues with lighter fluid flavor.

Barrel is only a 30 gallon and is so much easier to clean than a 55 gallon UDS. Line the bottom with foil and cleanup is under 2 minutes and you dont have to lift the drum.

No air vents to mess with. The Pit Barrel Cooker comes with one air vent pre-set to your elevation. The rebar openings on the top complete the venting.

Cook a brisket and pork butt in under 7 hours and think it was done lo and slo for hours on end.

Cook a tri tip in under 50 minutes.

Cook the best chicken you have ever had.

You get to hang your meat!!!!!!

You also get a cooking grate for items you cant hang and you can also grill on it..just keep the lid off and get grilling!!

The PBC comes ready to cook right out of the box

The lid and barrel and stand have real horse-shoes on them!!!

It just looks too cool on your patio!!

You get two bottles of free rubs and -8- hooks

100% made in the U.S.A. and you get to talk to Americans that speak English if you ever have to contact them!!

You get top notch customer service

You get to know Noah and Amber and even get to talk to them on the phone!!

Bunch of us here have em so that tells ya that ya gotta get one!!!!

Tommy might even get one some day!!!!!!

and Pit Barrel Cooker has an unofficial spokesfrog:
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 07:42:27 PM by smokeasaurus »
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Over Dunn

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 07:53:35 PM »
Well, Patrick, lets put it this way. It's a fun toy for $225!

OD -- a person with several fun toys! ;)
GMG DANIEL BOONE
GMG JIM BOWIE
CharBroil CB500X
UDS
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline Patrick_CT

Curiosity
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 08:58:27 PM »
Only 225?  Hmm. I thought it was more. My wallet may have a little left.
Mak 2 star #400

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 10:26:28 PM »
Hurry Patrick...that is a SALE price that ( I think..) expires soon. You might want to PM Amber or Noah at PBC....
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 10:29:53 PM »
Wow! I don't know what else we can say! Patrick- If you have any questions you can reach us direct at 303-249-9069 or 303-249-3422. Currently we have a promotion going, if you become a grilling.com member you will get a coupon code to use on our website to get $104.00 off your PBC!! That is only $225.00 shipped to your door. Thanks, Amber

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 09:03:20 AM »
Wow! I don't know what else we can say! Patrick- If you have any questions you can reach us direct at 303-249-9069 or 303-249-3422. Currently we have a promotion going, if you become a grilling.com member you will get a coupon code to use on our website to get $104.00 off your PBC!! That is only $225.00 shipped to your door. Thanks, Amber

and if I remember correctly there is a bag of Kingsford included as well!!
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Patrick_CT

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 12:20:04 PM »
I still find it a little strange that you do not worry about the temps... it is what it is. You just put food on after 20mins and check back a few hours later... Seems counter intuitive to me. I am sure that there is a lot of research done and it operates at the best possible temp for all around cooking. What is the target temp that it is designed to work at?

Does anyone put an extra whole in it to run a food temp probe into it?

If I put a couple wholes and rebarb through the side of my drum, isn't that almost the same?
If I did not already have my drum I would have this already on order for sure!

I am not trying to be negative, I really like the product and at the price seems great! The food in the videos also seems incredible. There are also a lot of really good BBQ'ers here that are completely on board with it and makes me want it more!
Mak 2 star #400

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
Curiosity
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 12:45:54 PM »
I still find it a little strange that you do not worry about the temps... it is what it is. You just put food on after 20mins and check back a few hours later... Seems counter intuitive to me. I am sure that there is a lot of research done and it operates at the best possible temp for all around cooking. What is the target temp that it is designed to work at?

Does anyone put an extra whole in it to run a food temp probe into it?

If I put a couple wholes and rebarb through the side of my drum, isn't that almost the same?
If I did not already have my drum I would have this already on order for sure!

I am not trying to be negative, I really like the product and at the price seems great! The food in the videos also seems incredible. There are also a lot of really good BBQ'ers here that are completely on board with it and makes me want it more!
No need to put an extra hole. I run my maverick et732 probe through one of the existing holes them I put the rebar in. The cable is so small I don't think it messes with the engineering :o
If you put an extra hole, you mighty mess up the way it cooks. My theory anyways.
Just like you've read. Light, wait 20, put animal parts in and sit back and wait till its done.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 12:47:30 PM »
The more logical the mind - the more difficult the grasp of "magic".... ;) ;D

I truly understand your dilema Patrick....If you look at my product review thread..I was so stunned at how good the 1st chicken halves I cooked came out - that I threw 2 more in there immediately...No difference.... they were just as awesome.

I would say tho - that having a good instant read thermometer, like a Thermapen ( or better yet a Maverick Pro 100 :D ) and check the chicken temp at 1-1/2 hours. I think some of the time-cook recommendations are based at a much higher altitude, and my chicken was done faster than the suggested time....I think by about 1 hour (?)

And - I have pondered drilling and grommeting a hole or two near the barrel top for my Mav. 732 probes...But, as long as I am getting results like this...Why?
Still - I refer back to where I started out this diatribe - Most of us have worked for years to learn a "knowing" method of cooking based on temps of the cooker, temp of the meat, and looking at gauges or instruments to tell us what we need to know.

The truth is - this thing is in one respect - is a return to a simpler way of cooking that many of us either forgot,  - or never learned, because those old style cookers seemed too "iffy" as to what we thought we could expect.

But - on the other hand...I think there is a use of science and technology that Noah has employed in the crafty design of this cooker. The vent - while adjustable, is set from the factory for the best range of air intake, or induction. The volatility of the internal air swirling around likely keeps the temps pretty even and stable, top to bottom, and the circumference of the drum. Even the "vent hole" area of void space around the re-bar is calculated to assure good convective, even cooking temps. by controlling air thru-put. Even temps. No dry meat.

We - as BBQ heads and outdoor cooks are often impressed  - and find it easier to take confidence in something complex and shiny, with flashing lights and pretty numbers that light up ( I know I get all giddy and starry eyed ;D ) that promises a "more controlled" method of cooking. It appeals to our logic, and need to control things so that we can adjust, customize - and have predictable results. That just makes sense.

Now comes the hard part for me to reckon with: The best designs I have ever encountered - no matter what we are referring to ( fly fishing gear, hunting, wood working, etc...) Are elegantly simple...they just work in an almost magical manner that may even defy an easy description...

THe PBC is just such a device.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 12:49:44 PM by teesquare »
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Hub

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 12:56:49 PM »
I'm intrigued by the concept of this cooker and, after thinking it through, see how it could do a decent job on chicken and ribs but have some concerns, too.  For instance, if you're cooking a brisket or butt what keeps the meat from falling off the hook once it reaches critical IT and is soft and tender?  How do you know IT levels -- assume it is okay to hang a probe inside or use something like a Maverick 732 inserted in the meat?  Has anyone tried it in competition yet (or is it too new)?

In short, how does one do precision cooking on it?  I'll freely admit I'm not comfortable with just firing it up, loading in the meat and then coming back 7 hours later to whatever may be waiting.  Somebody put me out of my misery on these concerns, please  ???

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 01:07:38 PM »
I am not an expert on it by any means Hub, but - I believe one would want to pull the brisket or butt, and foil - then finish on the grate included that sits below the re-bar. Chicken and ribs - IMHO seem to be the "naturals" for this cooker. But I am anxious to do some brisket and boston butt on it next....

That will be my next experiment, and I will document. Hopefully, others that have cooked those cuts will chime in.

T
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401