Author Topic: Curiosity  (Read 6363 times)

Offline Sam3

Re: Curiosity
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2012, 01:17:37 PM »
I am not an expert on it by any means Hub, but - I believe one would want to pull the brisket or butt, and foil - then finish on the grate included that sits below the re-bar. Chicken and ribs - IMHO seem to be the "naturals" for this cooker. But I am anxious to do some brisket and boston butt on it next....

That will be my next experiment, and I will document. Hopefully, others that have cooked those cuts will chime in.

T

I've done three butts in my PBC already.

Brought the IT to 160, removed and foiled and finished on the cooking grate. No issues with any of them, and the flavor was off the charts.

Again, I'm really pleased on how simple this cooker is and the food it produces.
MAK 1 Star #385
Bradley OBS w/mods
WSM 22.5
Weber Platinum
Char Broil BEESR
La Caja China
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline Hub

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2012, 02:16:21 PM »
I've done three butts in my PBC already.

Brought the IT to 160, removed and foiled and finished on the cooking grate. No issues with any of them, and the flavor was off the charts.

Again, I'm really pleased on how simple this cooker is and the food it produces.

Thanks, Sam3 -- what size were the butts?  I usually do 8-9 pounders.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Sam3

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2012, 02:23:10 PM »
Hub,

They were 7.75lb, 8.41lb and 9.25lb.

I have threads of the cooks in the PBC forum on here, if you want to check them out.
MAK 1 Star #385
Bradley OBS w/mods
WSM 22.5
Weber Platinum
Char Broil BEESR
La Caja China
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2012, 02:31:33 PM »
I still find it a little strange that you do not worry about the temps... it is what it is. You just put food on after 20mins and check back a few hours later... Seems counter intuitive to me. I am sure that there is a lot of research done and it operates at the best possible temp for all around cooking. What is the target temp that it is designed to work at?

Does anyone put an extra whole in it to run a food temp probe into it?

If I put a couple wholes and rebarb through the side of my drum, isn't that almost the same?
If I did not already have my drum I would have this already on order for sure!

I am not trying to be negative, I really like the product and at the price seems great! The food in the videos also seems incredible. There are also a lot of really good BBQ'ers here that are completely on board with it and makes me want it more!
No need to put an extra hole. I run my maverick et732 probe through one of the existing holes them I put the rebar in. The cable is so small I don't think it messes with the engineering :o
If you put an extra hole, you mighty mess up the way it cooks. My theory anyways.
Just like you've read. Light, wait 20, put animal parts in and sit back and wait till its done.

no mods no drilling  The PBC is dialed in to work with the bottom vent pre-set and the re-bar inserted. No monitoring of temps needed...just something you got to get used too...........

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Hub

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2012, 02:38:09 PM »
Hub,

They were 7.75lb, 8.41lb and 9.25lb.

I have threads of the cooks in the PBC forum on here, if you want to check them out.

I'll do that . . . Thanks again, Sam3
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
Weber Performer
PBC

Offline Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2012, 02:50:36 PM »
I'm intrigued by the concept of this cooker and, after thinking it through, see how it could do a decent job on chicken and ribs but have some concerns, too.  For instance, if you're cooking a brisket or butt what keeps the meat from falling off the hook once it reaches critical IT and is soft and tender?  How do you know IT levels -- assume it is okay to hang a probe inside or use something like a Maverick 732 inserted in the meat?  Has anyone tried it in competition yet (or is it too new)?

In short, how does one do precision cooking on it?  I'll freely admit I'm not comfortable with just firing it up, loading in the meat and then coming back 7 hours later to whatever may be waiting.  Somebody put me out of my misery on these concerns, please  ???

Hub

Hub- Please check out our videos, FAQ's and also notice that we have done really well with using the PBC at competitions, in fact we beat Johnny Trig in ribs :) These are all posted on our website www.pitbarrelcooker.com, and you can always reach us directly anytime at 303-249-9069. Thanks!!

Offline Hub

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2012, 04:30:06 PM »

Hub- Please check out our videos, FAQ's and also notice that we have done really well with using the PBC at competitions, in fact we beat Johnny Trig in ribs :) These are all posted on our website www.pitbarrelcooker.com, and you can always reach us directly anytime at 303-249-9069. Thanks!!

Thanks!  I'm more print oriented so I haven't looked at the videos, but I did read the FAQ's.  I'm going to order one and then start dinking around with my recipes/approaches for the four KCBS catagories.  Cooking in the 300 degree range will be significantly different than my old standard 230-250 and I'll want just a touch of smoke (no creosote belcher am I) so I'll have to play with that too.  This will be fun  ;D

Hub
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
Weber Performer
PBC

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
Curiosity
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2012, 04:46:03 PM »

Thanks!  I'm more print oriented so I haven't looked at the videos, but I did read the FAQ's.  I'm going to order one and then start dinking around with my recipes/approaches for the four KCBS catagories.  Cooking in the 300 degree range will be significantly different than my old standard 230-250 and I'll want just a touch of smoke (no creosote belcher am I) so I'll have to play with that too.  This will be fun  ;D

Hub
The thing I like about the PBC is that it doesn't overpower the meat with smoke but you can definitely tell that you were cooking with charcoal.
I did this full bird and didn't hang it, I put it on a beer can holder with an empty can of I believe it was ravioli :o. The
Bird literally fell apart when I went to cut it. It was like pulled chicken.

MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline Pappymn

Curiosity
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2012, 05:09:29 PM »

Hub
The thing I like about the PBC is that it doesn't overpower the meat with smoke but you can definitely tell that you were cooking with charcoal.
I did this full bird and didn't hang it, I put it on a beer can holder with an empty can of I believe it was ravioli :o. The
Bird literally fell apart when I went to cut it. It was like pulled chicken.

Chef Boyardee chicken?
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2012, 05:48:20 PM »
Here are my PBC threads...

http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=2026.msg20436#msg20436

http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=2114.msg21541#msg21541

http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=2129.msg21724#msg21724

The first time I used it I did not follow directions and had my two chickens fall into the coals during the final minutes of them cooking. I used a single hook through the back. They got so tender toward the end that they just slipped right from the hook. I was able to pull them out quickly and they were still fantastic after their trip into hell. The chicken comes out so moist and tender it is ridiculous!

The second chicken cook I did two whole chickens that were split like the first ones but used two hooks under each wing in each chicken. They held fine the entire cook without a problem. Even used the basket from me Big Easy to cook some taters.

My iGrill graphs show consistent temps in this cooker between 260F to 310F. I just move the cables into the cooker through the reed bar holes.

This thing is a no brainer that anyone can use and produces excellent results. If you are on the fence about getting one well... Don't be ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2012, 07:06:54 PM »

Hub

Just think, you can get a good night sleep and start your cook the morning of turn ins!! You won't be tired to lug the trophy when you get called!!  ;)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32