Author Topic: 2nd cook not a success - cook's fault this time  (Read 2331 times)

Offline getguinness

2nd cook not a success - cook's fault this time
« Reply #-1 on: April 25, 2014, 04:09:16 PM »
Hey guys, I just got around to my second cook on my PBC, and I'm sad to say it was a flop.  Credit for the fail goes to the cook, not the Cooker, though.  My sister in law and her kids are visiting this week, so Wed we decided to invite my folks over for dinner and grill some burgers.  I decided at the last minute that I need to fire up the PBC since I didn't get a chance over the weekend, so I picked up some chicken wings on the way home.  Everything went as planned, right up until the end.  I checked the temp in a couple of the wings and decided they were done, and then instead of taking them off immediately like I should have, I turned to check the burgers that were cooking on the kettle, which were also done.  That was my mistake. I got distracted and left the wings on the cooker for a few minutes with the lid off and wound up scorching the bottom.  The sauce on the side facing the fire was burnt to a blackened mess.   What was even sadder was that the top side looked wonderful, so the disappointment when I turned them over and saw that they looked like charcoal briquettes on the bottom was even greater. 

So, two lessons learned...
1. when you leave the lid off the PBC, that sucker gets hot
2. I need to work on my multitasking skills

Can't wait to try another cook, I need to redeem myself.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: 2nd cook not a success - cook's fault this time
« on: April 25, 2014, 04:15:28 PM »
You can grill burgers on the PBC with the lid off and the grate in place. Just wear some high temp gloves when flipping them :o

And yes all that additional air to the charcoal really heats things up ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline getguinness

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 04:36:09 PM »
yep, and the bad thing is I knew it would happen, so when I saw what I had done I had no one to blame but myself.   

At least the burgers were good, or we would have been ordering take-out.   

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 04:47:50 PM »
It's all good Guinness-- we've all been there!!  (Well, maybe there are one or two on here blessed with impeccable multi-tasking abilities and perfect luck, but the great majority of us sure have!!) 

Maybe we should have a "FLOP" section on the forum too so we can all post our less-than-stellar cooks!   I find having a good laugh with friends at my  dorkier moments tends to dissipate the embarrassment.   

At least you learned a bit about your cooker, and still had some tasty burgers to fend off grumbling bellies for the evening! :)
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline Pappymn

2nd cook not a success - cook's fault this time
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 05:00:14 PM »
Sorry partner. Happens to all of us.

You should see how Muebe hangs his burgers on the PBC ???
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 05:39:39 PM »
We learn from our mistakes, and we make chili with them (when they are brisket).
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 06:28:25 PM »
That was my life when I first started smoking and did not find sites like this, I'm a little better now ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Kora Smoker

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 12:02:07 AM »
Live and learn. It happens at one point or another so don't get discouraged.
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber 26 kettle
Rec Tec 680
Gabby's Grill Santa Maria add on for weber kettle 26 inch
Gateway Drum Smoker

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 06:53:25 PM »
Live and learn. It happens at one point or another so don't get discouraged.

Agree... Someday I can tell you about the "briquettes" (wings) I made in my SRG... yikes!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 06:57:35 PM »
I'm one that has never burned, over cooked, under cooked, over salted, spiced heavily or served bland anything that I have ever cooked.  And if y'all believe that I got ocean front property in Arizona for sale to the highest bidder.  :P

Mistakes are the best teachers, I have made so many of them in the past and will no doubt make plenty more. ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline tekn50

• tekn50
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 10:19:20 PM »
It happens to the best of us all.  I have torched food on more than one occasion.  It took me for ever to figure out how to grill a steak.  I still mess that up once in awhile.  That barrel will get real hot, I pulled some stuff off it and left the lid off.  Came back out to finishing cleaning up the deck and close the grill.  My thermometer was a little over 400'.   
Dave
Weber Kettle x1 now
PBC
Traeger Jr. Elite