Author Topic: Newbie question...Chimney starter?  (Read 3491 times)

Offline Eatin Smoke

Re: Newbie question...Chimney starter?
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2014, 07:59:57 PM »
I've used both methods to light my barrel but.......1) Hate using Lighter Fluid 2)Chimney method is a pain to try and pour lit coals into basket without them bouncing out or burning yourself.

My go to method for lighting all my smokers is this:

http://www.amazon.com/Bernzomatic-19425-Self-Igniting-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B00008ZA0F/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398556483&sr=8-1&keywords=bernzomatic+20%2C000+btu

Just light the coals in @ 8 different spots around basket and wait 15 min.

Offline Ken H

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2014, 10:51:59 PM »
I quit using lighter fluid several years ago. I've used an electric element in the past, but usually use a chimney nowadays. With the PBC, I've been rather ham-fisted and slopped some coals when dumping them, so I bought a compact Weber chimney which is shorter and easier (for me) to pour. It holds about the right quantity, so that's a plus.

Having said that, I've also been using fluid again on occasion (like when I have company and want to make sure the coals start predictably). I haven't noticed any smell - like Myron Mixon said in one of his books, "follow the d@mn instructions!" As far as smell, I think the odor of burning newsprint is uber rancid. I guess I don't see a problem using fluid, although the "purist" in me prefers the chimney. Bottom line: There's no right or wrong answer. Go with what works for you.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2014, 11:53:34 PM »
My tasters may not be too good. I have to say, if I use Kingsford lighter fluid and let the charcoal burn down, I don't taste it. Or maybe, I have learned to like the taste? But if I use one of the generics - yuk. So, the taste buds are not completely gone...  ;) But I have no problem using the fluid on my PBC. I use the propane starter on my Weber Performer. But, I guess you could argue this adds propane "flavor." And on my pit - it's just some wood and kindling.

Cheers,

D
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #