Author Topic: "Country Music"  (Read 954 times)

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
"Country Music"
« Reply #-1 on: January 09, 2015, 08:39:45 AM »
Some of you may have seen this since it is flowing around FB.  This mashup is the most horrible thing I have heard in a long time.  I typically do not use the term "Country Music" for this reason exactly.

http://dangerousminds.net/comments/video_demonstrates_how_mind-numbingly_formulaic_and_shitty_country_pop_musi
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Jaxon

Re: "Country Music"
« on: January 09, 2015, 08:45:30 AM »
That's why you have buttons on your radio.

Just sayin'...
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline Sailor1

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 09:33:18 AM »
I grew up on Country and I could not tell you who the current country stars are now let alone any of the songs.  I listen to Pandora and have the old country songs from the early 20's to the 70's programed in.  Give me the Sons of the Pioneers any old day.  Cool clear water  ;D

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 09:42:58 AM »
When I was growing up my Dad listened to two types of music - Big Band and Country (interesting combination...) I remember listening to Hank Williams, Lefty Frizzel, Johnny Horton, etc. Still enjoy them But, pretty much anything past the Statler Brothers leaves me cold.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 01:22:31 PM »
It all sounds like country rap to me. I never thought I would hear the term "baby-girl" in a country song.

This song is fitting for this topic.........and the answer is Straight and Jackson......not seeing many others..................

Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 01:25:42 PM »
now you got ols smoke riled up

Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Sailor1

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 05:24:08 PM »
It all sounds like country rap to me. I never thought I would hear the term "baby-girl" in a country song.

This song is fitting for this topic.........and the answer is Straight and Jackson......not seeing many others..................

Thanks for the memory!  Saw this video a long time ago and forgot about it. 

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 06:09:21 PM »
When I was growing up my Dad listened to two types of music - Big Band and Country (interesting combination...) I remember listening to Hank Williams, Lefty Frizzel, Johnny Horton, etc. Still enjoy them But, pretty much anything past the Statler Brothers leaves me cold.

"It don't matter who's in Nashville...Bob Wills is still the King". ;)

"Texas Swing" is a true Texas  stylized form of swing music - and still has a sting following in Texas dance halls - and C/W dance halls everywhere. Timeless...Like all good art.
It is a sounds for Native Sons of the Republic that harkens the smell of sage in bloom, and dust in the air - and a wind that always blows. Gently, - on occasion... ;D

Tommy Duncan's vocals - are a hallmark of the sound. Faded Love:

Or - Take me back to Tulsa:

Of course...San Antonio Rose:

AND...Deep in the Heart of Texas!

And... :-[ the one my Mom use dot sing to me.... ;D

But, my all time favorite make vocalist is Ray Price. A few years ago, when interviewed for a major monthly magazine ( I think it was Playboy, GQ or one of those...?) - the question was asked of Tony Bennett: "Who is the best singer of all time?". Without a pause - Bennet said: Ray Price. It shocked the reporter - who was not very familiar with Price. Listen to this:

And this one....
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ray+price+for+the+good+times&spfreload=1
And....
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 06:25:53 PM by teesquare »
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401