Author Topic: KILLER DEAL- 1 DAY SOUS VIDE - $55  (Read 13117 times)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
Re: KILLER DEAL- 1 DAY SOUS VIDE - $55
« on: May 30, 2018, 09:57:16 AM »
 I was just about to post this too.  Looks a pretty good deal...
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 10:07:38 AM »
Just wish I could nice price!
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Agustine

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 10:54:10 AM »
It looks just big enough for a steak, I would want something a little deeper myself. I also wonder just how accurate the sous vide temp is. Most of these things cycle power on and off to control temp. With out some kind of PID control there is no fine tuning it.
Let us know how it works out.

Lots of reviews on how inaccurate it is for temp. Something you do not want for sous vide.

Just of of many reviews
"It's too soon to tell about results of the food, but I'm a little disappointed with the initial impression. I just unboxed this, filled it with water, and ran the temp up to 160 degrees F and let it stay there for 30 minutes. I then inserted three different instant read thermometers out of my kitchen in the bath, and they all read 143 degrees +/- 1 degree. Stirring the water and retesting, testing in different quadrants, high and low in the water column....none of that helped. Has anyone else had the same problem?"
It is only when a mosquito lands on your testicle that you realize that violence is never the answer.

Offline DWard51

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 07:53:05 PM »
If I did not already have a full sized Anova with a Nano coming in a week or so I might jump on this.   Looks to be a decent unit, but in looking at the manual, I don't think it has water circulation so it looks like a PID controlled cooker/roaster.  Not a bad thing, just an observation.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 09:35:38 PM »
Wellll...it's $55 bucks. So, a low risk. As for "circulation....I still use  - quite often - Geek Foods Sous Vide controller - that merely allows you to plug an analog controlled crock pot or turkey roaster. And...there is no pump for circulation. But, funny thing....physics works! ;) :D :D :D

Heat rises...convective currents strive to equalize temperatures. It is why we have volatility in the air as well....heat rises folks. And the temps are always very consistent. It is easy to get caught up in the gadgetology aspect of things...I am the President of that club 8) ::).

So, I would not be concerned about the lack of another moving part - which could fail at some point and render the product useless ( knowing this I also own several other "circulator" types, including Anova  ;D)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401