Spriited Discussions > SPIRITED DISCUSSIONS

Is anyone familiar with this?

<< < (2/4) > >>

tlg4942:
I have a business aquaintence in Moscow. I’ll see  if he will translate it for you. Or knows anything about it.

Roget:

--- Quote from: tlg4942 on October 07, 2018, 04:28:06 PM ---I have a business aquaintence in Moscow. I’ll see  if he will translate it for you. Or knows anything about it.

--- End quote ---

Appreciate that.
Like I say, I pretty much know what I have. I mainly am interested in info about that particular brand & where it is distilled.

hikerman:
Correct me if I'm wrong here but, I believe that the only place cognac can be named as such is the Cognac Region of France. Everything else is considered brandy. Which does not make it any less tasty as it's in the name only not the quality.

Roget:

--- Quote from: hikerman on October 07, 2018, 05:42:34 PM ---Correct me if I'm wrong here but, I believe that the only place cognac can be named as such is the Cognac Region of France. Everything else is considered brandy. Which does not make it any less tasty as it's in the name only not the quality.

--- End quote ---

You bring up a valid point.
If this were distilled in Russia it definitely would not technically be cognac.

"kohbrk" is pronounced "cognac" in Russian.

Is this most likely from one of the cognac houses in France, which has been packaged for distribution in Russia?
That's why I'm interested in what the brand is. With almost a hundred cognac brands it could be anything.
I might have a cheap bottle of cognac or I might have a very expensive one. (not that I care about the value, as such)

I doubt that Gorbachev drinks cheap booze, but it's possible that he pulled out the cheap stuff to give to my friend. (kinda like when your obnoxious brother in law wants a drink :D :D)
Perhaps that's why my friend gave it to me.  ??? :o :(

hikerman:

--- Quote from: Roget on October 07, 2018, 07:54:05 PM ---
--- Quote from: hikerman on October 07, 2018, 05:42:34 PM ---Correct me if I'm wrong here but, I believe that the only place cognac can be named as such is the Cognac Region of France. Everything else is considered brandy. Which does not make it any less tasty as it's in the name only not the quality.

--- End quote ---

You bring up a valid point.
If this were distilled in Russia it definitely would not technically be cognac.

"kohbrk" is pronounced "cognac" in Russian.

Is this most likely from one of the cognac houses in France, which has been packaged for distribution in Russia?
That's why I'm interested in what the brand is. With almost a hundred cognac brands it could be anything.
I might have a cheap bottle of cognac or I might have a very expensive one. (not that I care about the value, as such)

I doubt that Gorbachev drinks cheap booze, but it's possible that he pulled out the cheap stuff to give to my friend. (kinda like when your obnoxious brother in law wants a drink :D :D)
Perhaps that's why my friend gave it to me.  ??? :o :(

--- End quote ---

It's hard to say without a good translation what exactly you have. I did read that 95% of all cognac made in France is exported. Is it possible that what you have is a relabled cognac, or a brandy which culturally is called cognac? Either way a unique gift with a neat story.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version