Spriited Discussions > SPIRITED DISCUSSIONS

Alcohol question

(1/3) > >>

Lemonhead78:
I am 41 and never really liked to drink. I hated the taste. Unfortunately/ fortunately I finally found something I like and I wanted to make it at home. It’s called a lemon drop martini. It’s basically vodka with simple syrup and lemon juice. When I go into a nice restaurant or fancy bar for example and order one do they use real fresh squeezed lemon juice or is it from a bottle ? I want to make it taste like it did from the restaurant the other night it was amazing

GusRobin:
most likely it is lemon juice rather than fresh squeezed.

UWFSAE:
Freshly squeezed makes all the difference; the "RealLemon" in the bottles is no where as bright and clean as fresh.  Also, you can do a lemon twist for doing a sugar rim on the glass with the same lemon.  One thing I learned in my bartender days is to make a citrus sugar; this is pretty much the method I was taught:  https://addapinch.com/lemon-sugar-recipe/ for rimming the glass.

You might also enjoy making your own limoncello ... you can buy it in the stores but is incredible when making homemade with Meyer lemons.

Lemonhead78:

--- Quote from: UWFSAE on March 24, 2019, 04:34:05 PM ---Freshly squeezed makes all the difference; the "RealLemon" in the bottles is no where as bright and clean as fresh.  Also, you can do a lemon twist for doing a sugar rim on the glass with the same lemon.  One thing I learned in my bartender days is to make a citrus sugar; this is pretty much the method I was taught:  https://addapinch.com/lemon-sugar-recipe/ for rimming the glass.

You might also enjoy making your own limoncello ... you can buy it in the stores but is incredible when making homemade with Meyer lemons.

--- End quote ---
That lemon sugar loooks good. Thanks for posting.  When you were a bartender i want to know if you used fresh squeezed or bottled lemon ? Because I realize that fresh is better but when I’m out enjoying a cocktail if their using bottled I don’t seem to mind

Ka Honu:

--- Quote from: Lemonhead78 on March 24, 2019, 05:57:19 PM ---... fresh squeezed or bottled lemon?
--- End quote ---

Pretty much depends on the bar. If they're upscale and/or serve bespoke cocktails they're more likely to use fresh fruit & juices. On the other hand, if they're a bit closer to "dive bars" and make their money on beer and a shot (and serve 1-3 mixed drinks a month), they're likely to use bottled juices (if they have any at all).

You have to ask (or watch the bartender) to find out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version