Spriited Discussions > SPIRITED DISCUSSIONS

Clear Ice for my Old Fashioned

<< < (4/4)

MJSBBQ:
The clear ice cube is really a "cool" factor when friends come over. I have heard it doesn't have any different taste.

A single big fat cube instead of multiple small cubes does make a big difference with the dilution. For good stuff. I use one big cube. I gave up on making the clear stuff, and simply bought a rubber form from Bed and Bath for $10, It makes 6 big square cubes that easily come out when needed.

Of course if someone brings real good stuff, no cubes!

bamabob:

--- Quote from: ronman451 on July 28, 2020, 10:12:35 PM ---The bourbon... This was a store-pick bottle of single-barrel Eagle Rare. It's a nice bottle, but not a lot of character. I prefer Four Roses single barrel or I.W. Harper, but now you are starting to spend too much money for a mixer bourbon. Wild Turkey 101 makes a decent mixer in my opinion. My ideal price point for a mixer bourbon is $25 and below. I found a couple of bottles of Weller Special Reserve the other day for about $20. Kind of hard to find in these parts. I know lots of folks love this bourbon, but it didn't do anything special for me. I'll use it as a mixer all day long, though!

Don't get me started talking about whiskey, I'll never shut up!! Bottom line, drink what you want, the way you want it!

Cheers!

--- End quote ---

You ever try Benchmark?  It's made by Buffalo Trace and around here sells for around $20 a handle.  I attended a blind taste test between it and two other bourbons and it tied for first.  Tied with Buffalo Trace and beat Woodford Reserve.  Now I have noticed that the taste can vary a little from batch to batch but I think that is true of all bourbons these days as they are rushed to market due to high demand.  I use it as a mixer and a sipper.

ClimberDave:

--- Quote from: ronman451 on July 28, 2020, 10:12:35 PM ---So to answer a few questions, the ice didn't taste cleaner or better. I'm happy with the neutral taste of my water here (it's city water that is filtered thru the fridge, and I keep the filters pretty fresh). I think it made the drink more enjoyable because the big chunk of clear ice melted slower and didn't water down the cocktail too quickly. I'm a believer that your cocktail goes through stages as time goes by. My goal is to make it near-perfect and let it evolve into the perfect amount of water to alcohol blend a few minutes after serving.

As for my favorite Old Fashioned recipe? I honestly don't have one yet, but I am having fun trying different bourbon, bitters and sugar combinations. For this batch I used a simple syrup I made from brown sugar and Fee Brothers Old Fashioned bitters (my first time), and it was quite tasty. Lots of cinnamon and wood-bark notes. There is a local NM company from Santa Fe called The Bitter End that makes some outstanding bitters. I like Angostura orange bitters too. The bourbon... This was a store-pick bottle of single-barrel Eagle Rare. It's a nice bottle, but not a lot of character. I prefer Four Roses single barrel or I.W. Harper, but now you are starting to spend too much money for a mixer bourbon. Wild Turkey 101 makes a decent mixer in my opinion. My ideal price point for a mixer bourbon is $25 and below. I found a couple of bottles of Weller Special Reserve the other day for about $20. Kind of hard to find in these parts. I know lots of folks love this bourbon, but it didn't do anything special for me. I'll use it as a mixer all day long, though!

Don't get me started talking about whiskey, I'll never shut up!! Bottom line, drink what you want, the way you want it!

Cheers!

--- End quote ---

Thats a great price for Weller SR,  I got some a few months ago  for  $28   its  almost impossible to get around here and if you find it  they are selling for more that  $100

Eagle Rare does make a tasty cocktail.   
For mixing I like Buffalo Trace which i can usually get in a  1.75 liter bottle.  It makes an excellent  OF  as  does   Wild Turkey 101  is good too and easy to find.

My recipe  for any interested is;

2oz bourbon
scant 1/4oz gum (gomme) syrup, if avail  if not  rich simple syrup
Bitters  usually Angostura, but I have others  including Fee Bros and more.  4-5 dashes
2 dashes  orange bitters  ( I like my bitters!!)
Stirred on ice and served on a single large cube if available
Garnish that with an orange peel that you expressed the oil over the glass and a fancy cherry!

1/4 of the simple syrup can be a tad sweet  so i used just shy of that.   Regardless if  fun to experiment  with different ratios, whiskys and bitters!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version