Author Topic: Time for gravlax  (Read 3838 times)

Offline pz

Time for gravlax
« Reply #-1 on: July 23, 2014, 02:20:39 AM »
Wild sockeye is available at Costco - kind of spendy at $9.99/lb, but what the heck, you only live once, right?

Simple mixture of salt, sugar, a bit of black pepper, and dill from the Aerogarden

The second filet was placed atop the first, and then wrapped in cellophane. Then a second cookie pan placed on top with a weight and then into the fridge for a few days, turning periodically and removing the osmotically drawn liquids.  We'll see how it goes

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
Re: Time for gravlax
« on: July 23, 2014, 04:47:54 AM »
This is new to me so keep us updated... I love salmon and have a great source for it considering I'm on the southern coast.
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 06:36:19 AM »
I will be watching this one!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 07:10:12 AM »
pz I have made Lox before and it turned out excellent. Here is a link to the thread so you can see the method I used...

http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=1539.msg14414#msg14414

Will be watching this one to see how your's turns out and your method ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 08:12:48 AM »
I made some gravlax many years ago.  My setup was almost identical to yours.  When I put the second pan on top of the soon-to-be gravlax I used 2@ 5 pound weights.  When I sliced the gravlax and served it I served it with an ice encrusted bottle of Akavit.  As I recall, my Mom and Dad went bonkers over this.  Me, too.

Watching this one closely.  I will start looking for some decent salmon.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 09:02:55 AM »
Yuck..looks good, but I don't do salmon..you guys can have it all. Isn't that generous of me..lol . Enjoy.
 Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 10:44:44 AM »
Sounds delicious.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 11:34:39 AM »
That's going to be so good when it's done.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 12:08:17 PM »
Watching this - looks like it should be excellent. btw - can I have Pam's portion?
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 04:09:19 PM »
Hmmmm - I'll keep watching this one  :)
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline pz

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 11:24:20 PM »
Thanks for the comments, folks - just turned the fish again and drained the exudate.  It is starting to flatten a bit due to the weight, just as expected.  The flesh will be salt/sugar "cured" and the extracted moisture will result in intense salmon flavor accentuated by the cure and the fresh dill.  I'm already drooling in anticipation, as is my better half.  We plan to eat plain slices (will try to find Art's recommended Akvavit), and also spread thinly sliced gravlax with cream cheese, slivers of onion, and capers - rolled and then eaten as an appetizer.

pz I have made Lox before and it turned out excellent. Here is a link to the thread so you can see the method I used...

http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=1539.msg14414#msg14414

Will be watching this one to see how your's turns out and your method ;)

Thanks, muebe - sounds like an excellent method I need to try.  I like that you can use skinless - mine is best with skin on.

I made some gravlax many years ago.  My setup was almost identical to yours.  When I put the second pan on top of the soon-to-be gravlax I used 2@ 5 pound weights.  When I sliced the gravlax and served it I served it with an ice encrusted bottle of Akavit.  As I recall, my Mom and Dad went bonkers over this.  Me, too.

Watching this one closely.  I will start looking for some decent salmon.

Art

I'm using a weight too - my great great grandma's cast iron, iron (the kind you iron with).  Thanks for the tip on the Akvavit - have not tried that before, but being a Scandanavian spirit, would make the gravlax experience that much more authentic.

Watching this - looks like it should be excellent. btw - can I have Pam's portion?

Pam is very generous, and her portion is yours, David!

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 03:31:17 AM »
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 02:14:00 PM »
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 05:55:19 PM »
I will be making my own Gravlax, soon.  I bought some good looking salmon today.  Can't wait.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline pz

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2014, 12:27:19 AM »
Well, three days later, here we are - finished and ready to consume:

Before (left) and after 3 days under weight (right) - you can see the evaporated exudate on the right has precipitated the salt crystals

Cut the filet pair in half for ease of slicing - you can see the two flesh sides still in contact with salt, sugar, and dill between

Washing off the remaining salt/sugar and dill

Ready to slice - using a filet knife - the thin flexible blade is ideal for this type of slicing because it allows one to get all the meat off the skin

I keep forgetting how good home gravlax preparation is - firm yet supple flesh - intense salmon flavor but not the slightest hint of fishiness that I often find in store bought lox (the kind at Costco).  The gravlax was so tasty all by itself that we did not even place cream cheese, onion, and capers as we had planned.  One of the two filets is already consumed - next time I need to make twice as much

Here's a cheesy video of me slicing the fish - only 30 seconds long - my sweetie was the camerawoman