Author Topic: Spuds' smoked and dried salmon  (Read 1165 times)

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
Spuds' smoked and dried salmon
« Reply #-1 on: July 23, 2014, 11:51:40 PM »
I thought I posted this here,but here it is....The trick that made it so good was the drying time in the oven,it got rid of the more fishy taste and was as good as the best smoked salmon Ive ever purchased

Something totally new to us,bought a smoker......I smoked it with the amazen smoker,Ive done hickory,hickory/cherry mix,and just cherry.This batch was hickory.

Girl approves...

Made a rub of 4 cups brown sugar,one cup non iodized pickling salt,2 teaspoon garlic

This is the Canadian Salmon,5.99/lb,skin on.I sliced off the bottom thin part...

Next I scored the flesh to the skin in 1.5 inch cuts,then cut it into sections of three pieces each

Now I hand packed it all over and between slices with rub

And start stacking in a Tupperware thing,a little rub on bottom first,stacked them flesh side to flesh,skin side to skin,just because I read someone did that...

All packed up,10 lbs used all the rub.I sprinkled a little on each layer too.Then I tucked in some saran wrap on top to keep moist,and put on the lid,and into refrigerator overnight...

More to follow as I go along....
================
Next they went onto smoker at 200F....This is after about 1.5 hours....

Make sure you have a Snookie to guard your smoker....

Got the thin pieces out early and turned them into a spread,YUMM!

After three hours and internal temp about 155F,+/- 5 degrees I took them out and got these,very pretty!

Now here's the rub,they have 2 cooking times on the web....3 hours to 150F internal temp and 6 hours.

I found the 3 hour was too moist for my taste,and since it was now late evening I finished them up in oven at 170F for 2-3 hours more to get them drier. I like a dry smoked fish so that worked for me.

I then wrapped each 1.5 inch piece in saran wrap and into a giant ziplock bag and into freezer,they turned out very good indeed!

Gave some to elderly neighbor,said it brought back memories of first time he ever went fishing,that good.

Gave some to a friend who grew up in Alaska,hates salmon,doesnt like smoked salmon etc etc etc.He finally agreed to take some for wife,calls me later,says its the best smoked salmon he's ever tasted,EXCELLENT!

Gotta say,Im impressed too,this was an exceptional gem.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 11:59:44 PM by spuds »
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Spuds' smoked and dried salmon
« on: July 24, 2014, 04:50:15 AM »
Thanks for posting.  That sounds delicious.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline pz

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 12:27:59 PM »
Looks good,  Spuds! How did you make the spread?

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 01:41:59 PM »
Cream cheese,green onion,pimento,salt pepper and fresh minced garlic.Salmon.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline pz

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 02:00:32 PM »

Sounds fantastic - I'm going to try that with some salmon candy!

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 10:13:09 AM »

That sounds wonderful, I'll have to try that.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)