Author Topic: Fresh Chinook Salmon on the DC  (Read 2664 times)

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
Re: Fresh Chinook Salmon on the DC
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2014, 11:33:48 AM »
That fresh salmon looks fantastic. 

I remember back in the middle 50's my Dad was stationed in Monterey going to the Navy Post Grad school.  My Mom and Dad participated in a salmon derby they were having.  He had previously qualified by catching a 47 pounder.  They were back in before 9:00 with the fog still nice and thick.  The dock workers wanted to know if my Mother had gotten sea-sick.  She proudly announced that "No, I am not sea-sick.  We have our fish already!"  First fish in.  52 pounds!!  Had to wait all day to see if anyone would top it.  No one did.  My Dad won a small Mercury motor and a bunch of fishing gear for first prize.  Somewhere in my photo files is a picture of my Dad holding this salmon, barely off the ground.  It came up to his chin.  The really sad news was that when it was being cut up, none of the neighbors wanted any!  Free fresh salmon and no one wanted any.  I remember eating salmon often after that.

Art

Great story Art.  Our oldest Son was stationed at the Naval Post Graduate School for about 3 years.  He was the Admiral's Aide and then got his Masters Degree there.  Monterey is only a 2 hour drive from our house so we got to visit his family and our twin Grandsons often  8)  Now he's stationed in Virginia and we don't get to visit as often anymore  :(
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG