Author Topic: A little experiment with pizza dough  (Read 2217 times)

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
A little experiment with pizza dough
« Reply #-1 on: August 03, 2014, 07:56:23 PM »
So I make pizza dough and freeze it. Just take out how much I think I will need the day I will be making pizza. I can't throw the dough up in the air and make it round like some of you to save my life. I have tried flouring the counter top and rolling it out to the size I want and that works but you add a lot of flour to your dough.
Well I have some of those non-stick black plastic/rubber things that a few of us had bought a few months ago. (good to 500 F)
I said hey Einstein here's a thought. What if those non-stick mats would work with the dough

And yes they work perfectly, dropped the dough on the sheet and took my wood rolling pin and squirted it with virgin olive oil so the dough would not stick to it and rolled it out like nothing. I like to pre-cook my dough so the sheet went into a 400 F oven for 6 minutes. Now it goes into the freezer till I need it.

After I rolled it out

Top side after cooking

Bottom side after cooking

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: A little experiment with pizza dough
« on: August 03, 2014, 08:17:53 PM »
Good idea Devo!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 08:54:08 PM »
Great idea!!

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 08:56:19 PM »
I saw them mats the other day, I think I will get some at Walgreen's.

Offline N. Ontario Smoker

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 10:51:51 PM »
If you want to make great pizza crust, then search for Craftsy's Food and Cooking Classes. Look for free mini-classes on the left, (Make great pizza at home.) You have to sign up but you won't get spammed. You can watch the lessons over and over again for free. I tried it and it comes out looking and tasting like an expensive artesian pizza. The only e-mail I've ever got from them was a welcome to the class.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 09:47:54 AM by N. Ontario Smoker »
"Vegetarian" is an old Indian word for bad hunter.

Fred

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 12:07:19 PM »
If you want to make great pizza crust, then search for Craftsy's Food and Cooking Classes. Look for free mini-classes on the left, (Make great pizza at home.) You have to sign up but you won't get spammed. You can watch the lessons over and over again for free. I tried it and it comes out looking and tasting like an expensive artesian pizza. The only e-mail I've ever got from them was a welcome to the class.
Great tip. I signed up and watched a few minutes to get a feel for the class. Very well done! Thank you for the suggestion and link!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 01:20:42 PM »
That's a great experiment, thanks for sharing Mr. Einstein.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 01:30:14 PM »
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.