Author Topic: Fried Green Tomatoes  (Read 871 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Fried Green Tomatoes
« Reply #-1 on: August 04, 2014, 02:58:32 AM »
Aug 03 2014

I was not going to take pics tonight since we were having Sandman’s broasted chicken. David, (Dr. Holly) wanted to know how I did fried green tomatoes. I made some to go with the chicken so here you are David.

It was just me and the dog home most of the day so I spent it a little lazy enjoying the nice weather. I did get the sugar water changed in my hummer feeders and I made some cornbread dressing with some cornbread that needed used up. I sautéed some onions and celery in olive oil and a half stick of butter just until soft. I added them to a casserole and crumbled in the cornbread, two slices of toasted hard crust bread, cut up, some thyme, sage, salt and pepper. I stirred in about 1 ½ cups of chicken stock and in a 350 deg. oven. A little into the baking I realized I forgot to add some egg. Oh well too late now.

I checked the dressing at 30 minutes and left in another 5 minutes. I did a taste test and was good even without the egg. When the wife got home I told her I forgot the egg in the dressing, she likes it when I goof some! We sat out for a while and at 5:00 I went in and got the green tomatoes battered and in the fridge. I think the breading stays on better if you let them set up a while.

The son was working so the daughter in law and grandson was coming for supper. Just after 6:00 my wife ordered the chicken from Sandman, 8 pieces of chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy, that’s 2 breasts, 2 thighs, 2 legs and 2 wings all for less than $10! Chicken would be ready in 30 minutes.

I had my skillet ready on my outdoor gas burner and started frying the tomatoes when my wife went after the chicken. Three or four minutes on each side then remove to a plate with a paper towel and serve.

The grandson just had chicken, taters and gravy and a dish of corn I heated for him, he tasted the tomatoes but didn’t like them. The dil had a salad she made up some dressing and ate two tomatoes. The cook got 3 tomato slices and the wife got the other two.

I overbrowned one tomato a little but I ate it. After I ate what was on my plate, I had another wing and thigh, some mashed taters with dressing and gravy over. I was plenty full!!

Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
Re: Fried Green Tomatoes
« on: August 04, 2014, 06:33:58 AM »
Very good looking tomatoes and sides Don!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 07:46:07 AM »
Simply beautiful as always.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline pz

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 07:55:20 AM »
I've never had fried green tomatoes. I need to try your recipe.  Looks delicious!

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 10:53:03 AM »
Those are some great looking fried green tomatoes, I love those things.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 03:02:01 PM »
MMM, those look great, Don!   I like the idea of using crackers for the coating!
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline Pappymn

Fried Green Tomatoes
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 03:32:58 PM »
Those look great SD.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 05:06:14 PM »
Don..I will have all the dark ones.  Pam   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 05:09:25 PM »
Perfect explanation, SD - Thanks!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #