Author Topic: Brussels Sprout Kimchi  (Read 1377 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Brussels Sprout Kimchi
« Reply #-1 on: August 06, 2014, 09:13:12 AM »
Aug 05 2014

Today was a lazy day for me, kind of hot out, a good day for light work. We were having leftovers for supper so I didn’t have to cook. I made a batch of marinated tomato, cucumber and onion salad this morning. After lunch I cleaned the Brussels sprouts and got them in the salt water to soak for 4 hours.

I love kimchi and love Brussels sprouts so decided to try a batch of this. I have had the recipe for a long time from Epicurious. I am not sure they really knew the ingredient gochujang they said it was ground Korean chili flakes. Gochujang is a Korean condiment made from fermenting soy products, bean curd and Korean red pepper flakes. I cannot find it locally so I just used coarse Korean red pepper flakes that I use to make Napa kimchi. All the recipes I have seen for making Napa kimchi use the Korean pepper flakes so not sure why they would use gochujang for Brussels sprout kimchi. In place of sriracha I used Cholula hot sauce.

I got in a little power nap and then watered my tomatoes and flowers. About 5:00 I made up the sauce to add to the Brussels sprouts. I drained and rinsed the sprouts; mixed it all up and got it in two quart jars. It said to let set at room temperature for 3 to 5 days and then store in the fridge. I will go the 4 or 5 days and then in the fridge 4 to 5 days before sampling. I am not sure how it will turn out and will come back and update after I have tasted it.

I got my kitchen cleaned up and then the wife and I had some leftover Bulgogi beef and veggies over rice and some of my marinated salad for our supper.

Smokin Don

Recipe:
Brussels Sprout Kimchi
Adapted from a recipe from Epicurious

•   3.5 ounces plus .7 ounces kosher salt ( 5 tablespoons and 1 tablespoon)
•   2 pounds small Brussels sprouts, trimmed, halved
•   1/2 small onion, coarsely chopped
•   2 scallions, sliced
•   4 garlic cloves
•   1/4 cup coarse Korean red pepper flakes
•   2 tablespoons fish or oyster sauce
•   1 tablespoon hot sauce or sriracha
•   ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
•   1 tablespoon soy sauce
•   2 teaspoons coriander seeds, crushed
•   2 teaspoons fennel seeds, crushed
preparation
Combine 3.5 ounces salt and 2 quarts warm water in a large bowl, whisking to dissolve salt. Add Brussels sprouts and top with a plate to keep Brussels sprouts submerged. Let sit at room temperature 4 hours; drain. Rinse, drain, and place in a large bowl.

Pulse onion, scallions, garlic, fish sauce, Sriracha, ginger, soy sauce, and coriander and fennel seeds in a food processor until smooth. Add the ¼ cup of red pepper flakes to the sauce and mix well. Add to bowl with Brussels sprouts and toss. Transfer to two 32-ounce canning jars, packing down to eliminate air gaps.

Combine remaining .7 ounce salt and 1 quart warm water in a large bowl, whisking to dissolve salt. Add pickling liquid to jars to cover Brussels sprouts, leaving at least 1" headspace. Cover jars with lids. Let sit out of direct sunlight at room temperature until kimchi tastes tangy and releases bubbles when stirred, 3-5 days. Chill.

Note: Do not use your wife’s good Tupper Ware bowl; the red pepper flakes will stain it. Use a glass or stainless steel bowl. I have a Tupper Ware bowl I only use for making kimchi and my Cajun smoked crackers.
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Brussels Sprout Kimchi
« on: August 06, 2014, 09:16:31 AM »
If I were going to eat kimchi, it would be this one.  :D
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 09:30:58 AM »
Don't care for Brussel Sprouts but I love Kimchi!

I wonder if this method would be a way for me to enjoy those little devil balls ::)

Never thought that was possible! I would give them a try 8)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline N. Ontario Smoker

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 10:15:27 AM »
Bookmarked
"Vegetarian" is an old Indian word for bad hunter.

Fred

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 10:40:57 AM »
That looks really good, bet it taste great too.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 11:30:16 AM »
I love kimchi, never thought of Brussels Sprouts, but it makes sense. I've printed this one to try. Thanks!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 10:57:13 AM »
This is the 5th day my Brussels kimchi has sit at room temp. I have been taking the lids off twice a day to let the gas escape and to stir it up some. I placed the jars in the fridge and will let sit there at least 5 days. I have been tasting it since day 3.

Right now for me the Brussels sprouts are a little tough, they may crisp up after some time in the fridge. Taste wise I like the heat level, I would say a little over medium, not sure I am liking the fennel taste. See you in 5 more days. Don

Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline RAD

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 11:54:15 AM »
just came across this and very interested.
Love to cook and eat

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 04:28:49 PM »
Very cool. Might have to go buy some brussel sprouts. Thanks for sharing Don.