Author Topic: Nutrition Science  (Read 1855 times)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Nutrition Science
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 12:36:14 AM »
Sorry don't agree with you about the doctors Spuds. Sure there are some bad doctors out there. There are also bad cops too. But I don't label them all bad and appreciate they are there. My wife is a trauma nurse and knows many doctors who really care and take their job seriously. If you completed 10 years of medical schooling then you deserve the Ferrari and big home IMHO. They can spend working a 20 hour shift taking care of sick patients then get three hours sleep and then back at it for another 20 hours.  There are people who make 10 times as much as a doctor and work no where near as hard.

When I was attacked by my dog a few months ago I had to go to the ER. He tore me up pretty good. The doctor treated me well and I very much appreciated his and the nurses help. They tended to my wounds and gave me advice. I was sure glad they were there to help me and could not thank them enough.

Second opinions are good. Not only with doctors but when you get your car repaired or a contractor is doing work on your home. A second opinion is always a good idea. No "good" doctor will blame you for wanting a second opinion.

And I don't believe that my examples are an anomaly. You have many people who can eat everything in the world and never gain weight and the others who gain weight very easily. There are people who are allergic to things while others are not. There are many examples of different things than what we believe is normal. We are all so different genetically that it is impossible there not be such differences. Do you have a higher risk of getting cancer when smoking for example. Sure. Do I know people who do not smoke or drink who got cancer. Yes. Do I know people who have smoked and drank all their lives and don't have cancer. Yes. I am surrounded by anomalies then.

Are prescription drugs over prescribed? Absolutely! The problem is they have created so many names for different ailments. When I was a kid my brother was hyper active. Some kids are. He grew up to be fine. If he was growing up today they would have diagnosed him with ADHD and put him on meds. But people need an answer for EVERYTHING wrong with them! They have this insanity that there needs to be a drug to fix everything.

Insurance companies charge higher to people who smoke because of higher risk. They will profit regardless. They are providing a service that you pay for but hope to never use. And they have millions of customers paying them for this service. They do run the numbers but there is also some risk on their part.

And who is keeping these statistics? The people who are smoking, drinking and don't get cancer are not running to the nearest "statistics" office to report the good news. The ones that get cancer are their numbers. And they are higher then people who don't smoke, drink etc but those people I speak of are in the shadows living their daily lives and not in this statistics number. I know what I see around me and it blows me away. People who have been very healthy all their lives getting cancer or some disease.

And you mentioned the uncalled for tests. Well the problem is that everyone is looking to sue the hospitals and that is why they have to run all these extra tests to protect themselves from litigation because they did not do everything necessary otherwise. So you can blame all the lawyers on that one!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
Re: Nutrition Science
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2014, 12:36:03 PM »
Sorry don't agree with you about the doctors Spuds. Sure there are some bad doctors out there. There are also bad cops too. But I don't label them all bad and appreciate they are there. My wife is a trauma nurse and knows many doctors who really care and take their job seriously. If you completed 10 years of medical schooling then you deserve the Ferrari and big home IMHO. They can spend working a 20 hour shift taking care of sick patients then get three hours sleep and then back at it for another 20 hours.  There are people who make 10 times as much as a doctor and work no where near as hard.

When I was attacked by my dog a few months ago I had to go to the ER. He tore me up pretty good. The doctor treated me well and I very much appreciated his and the nurses help. They tended to my wounds and gave me advice. I was sure glad they were there to help me and could not thank them enough.

Second opinions are good. Not only with doctors but when you get your car repaired or a contractor is doing work on your home. A second opinion is always a good idea. No "good" doctor will blame you for wanting a second opinion.

And I don't believe that my examples are an anomaly. You have many people who can eat everything in the world and never gain weight and the others who gain weight very easily. There are people who are allergic to things while others are not. There are many examples of different things than what we believe is normal. We are all so different genetically that it is impossible there not be such differences. Do you have a higher risk of getting cancer when smoking for example. Sure. Do I know people who do not smoke or drink who got cancer. Yes. Do I know people who have smoked and drank all their lives and don't have cancer. Yes. I am surrounded by anomalies then.

Are prescription drugs over prescribed? Absolutely! The problem is they have created so many names for different ailments. When I was a kid my brother was hyper active. Some kids are. He grew up to be fine. If he was growing up today they would have diagnosed him with ADHD and put him on meds. But people need an answer for EVERYTHING wrong with them! They have this insanity that there needs to be a drug to fix everything.

Insurance companies charge higher to people who smoke because of higher risk. They will profit regardless. They are providing a service that you pay for but hope to never use. And they have millions of customers paying them for this service. They do run the numbers but there is also some risk on their part.

And who is keeping these statistics? The people who are smoking, drinking and don't get cancer are not running to the nearest "statistics" office to report the good news. The ones that get cancer are their numbers. And they are higher then people who don't smoke, drink etc but those people I speak of are in the shadows living their daily lives and not in this statistics number. I know what I see around me and it blows me away. People who have been very healthy all their lives getting cancer or some disease.

And you mentioned the uncalled for tests. Well the problem is that everyone is looking to sue the hospitals and that is why they have to run all these extra tests to protect themselves from litigation because they did not do everything necessary otherwise. So you can blame all the lawyers on that one!
Not all bad,but many many many are,so do your own homework and dont take it on blind faith.Thats my point,in this case its your life,not un needed car repairs,or cheated on a loan,or take endless examples where if you arent in the field they can cheat you.

Un needed test,oh yeah,come in for diabetes or whatever,your Primary Dr is a cardiologist,you NEED a heart cath,at approx 10,000 dollars,see it all the time, as an example.When its the Drs' family that just doesnt happen,nor the endless consults,its total BS. And you,I and everyone else pays for it.And not just in dollars.

There is honest money,and there is cheating the system,and far to many cheat.Or open heart surgeries on clean hearts,that happened.BIG money made on that.Bought a new sigmoidoscope,how many heart attacks got scoped,everyone that jerk could cheat.Because people trusted a thief who get this,was paying for a Rolls Royce.Honest money and dishonest money,medicine has both.

I'll bet everyone who had  open heart surg there thought the Drs involved were super,a second opinion elsewhere would have prevented that,ie EDUCATED pt. who can make a truly informed decision is in your interests.They prey on the uninformed,dont let that be you or yours.

BTW,nurse education is part of our job,and pt advocacy is  part of our job description,so we get passionate about protecting you,and we do,as far as we can within constraints,like Dr tells you you need a test,I know darn well has nothing to do with your condition and he runs same very lucrative test on EVERYONE regardless of diagnosis....I cant tell you that in the hospital.I have to say,thats between you and your Dr. But outside I CAN sound the alarm so you dont get cheated or hurt,and education is the key,not blind faith and taking anything you are told as gospel,do you do that elsewhere in your life,blind faith? Then dont do it with your life on the line.

Do you believe everything a loan officer or mechanic tells you? Then keep your eyes open around Drs too.Marcus Welby isnt real, in the real world you also have charlatans,frauds,incompetents, and thieves.Keep your eyes open.

Last comment on subject,I wont  in future try to let folks know what happens in hospitals.And to educate ourselves.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 12:58:29 PM by spuds »
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.