Author Topic: Lacto fermented green tomato pickles  (Read 65971 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Lacto fermented green tomato pickles
« Reply #-1 on: September 06, 2014, 01:13:37 PM »
Sep 06 2014

It was not a good year for my tomatoes. July and August was way too cool. The last week of August and the first week of Sept. we are just now getting hot summer weather and the tomatoes I had out came on all at once. I had six plants out, a beef steak, two early girl, two better boys and a plum.

I picked all the ripe ones yesterday and picked enough green ones to do some green tomato pickles. My recipe was for 2 lbs. of small green tomatoes. I had about 1 ½ lbs. and just right for my 1.5 liter Fido jar. Fido jars have a rubber gasket and a clamp lid. They are popular for fermenting; the gasket is supposed to let gas out but not air in.

The recipe was:
2 pounds of small green tomatoes (around cherry tomato size)
• 1 tablespoon coriander or dill seed
• 4 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
• 1 jalapeño, or other hot pepper, halved
• 2 tablespoons sea salt
• Approximately 3 cups water, more if necessary.
Makes 2 quarts

Instructions
1. Prepare brine by warming up 2 cups of water, adding salt and stirring to dissolve, then adding 1 cup of cold water to bring brine to room temperature.

2. In a quart jar add coriander or dill seed, garlic cloves, and hot pepper. Fill jar with green tomatoes, leaving about 1-1/2 inches of headspace. Pour brine over all, just covering the tomatoes and leaving the headspace.
3. Cover jar with lid and airlock, if using. Allow to ferment in a room temperature space for 3 to 12 days. If you are not using an airlock, be sure to burp your jar regularly for the first few days of fermentation.
Once tomatoes are fermented, move them to cold storage.

Note: I just used about a half of a jalapeno and two large cloves of smashed garlic. I used about half dill seeds and half coriander seeds. I also added two fresh dill fronds.

After fermenting they should keep at least 3 to 4 months in the fridge. If you want to store longer you will have to use canning jars and do a water bath after they ferment but you will lose the benefits of the natural lacto acid.  With canning jars you will also have to burp them, loosen the lids to let the gas escape, the first few days of fermenting.

Smokin Don

Update Sep 16 2014
I tried my tomatoes after fermenting for 8 days and they were good. I ate some of the small ones that were crisp. I put them in the fridge for two days and then I cut up the rest and made a salsa from them. I like the dilly taste for something diff. If fermenting larger tomatoes I think I would cut them and remove the seeds and water for more crisp ones. A couple of the larger tomatoes I cut up were a little soft. Don
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 11:06:00 PM by Smokin Don »
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Lacto fermented green tomato pickles
« on: September 06, 2014, 02:04:50 PM »
Sounds really interesting.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 02:12:32 PM »
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 02:15:14 PM »
Green tomato pickles sounds interesting, I've had plenty of fried green tomatoes.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 04:23:25 PM »
We had some weird tomatoes this year too and lots of green ones still. I may have to try that recipe with the Heirlooms or early girls.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 09:17:26 PM by Keymaster »

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 04:32:22 PM »
Question for the Northern folks. Is there a way to grow tomatoes indoors over the winter? You just can't beat garden tomatoes. I know it's a silly question :(
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 05:06:44 PM »
Question for the Northern folks. Is there a way to grow tomatoes indoors over the winter? You just can't beat garden tomatoes. I know it's a silly question :(
I had one of these but the wife hated the light on all the time so she took it back. I know muebe has one too but did not follow his results when he used his.

http://www.aerogarden.com/?cid=ppc_m

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 06:52:49 PM »
Yup,another bookmark,thanks for sharing
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 08:49:27 PM »
Did it :)

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 09:57:12 PM »
I bet those are going to be good Don!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 12:05:56 AM »
Yours look good KM!!! I think I will let mine ferment at least 7 days before the fridge. Don
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 09:42:22 AM by Smokin Don »
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2014, 08:32:21 AM »
Yours look good KM!!! I think I will let mine ferment at least 7 days before the frodge. Don
I used some medium sized Tomato's so I will probably go at least ten days before the fridge.

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2014, 12:23:33 PM »
My green tomato pickles like usual when fermenting; they didn’t want to stay under the brine. I do not like to use a plastic bag filled with water. My fermenting crock has split heavy weights that cover most and work well. Cultures for Health http://www.culturesforhealth.com/small-ceramic-fermentation-weight.html has the split weights that work with the standard wide mouth jar and I need to get some.

This does not help me right now. I ask my wife if she had something glass that might work. She remembered a glass object she bought at a sale. It looks like a paper weight 1.5 inches thick, and round but has holes in it. I think they used them to make flower arrangements. It looked like it would work. I washed it with soap and water then boiled to sterilize. It worked great.

Smokin Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2014, 04:13:02 PM »
Great job Don.
keep some for me .
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2014, 09:20:34 PM »
A few asked for the recipe so I posted this link on Facebook instead of giving your recipe out to the world :)