Other Cooking Equipment > SOUS VIDE COOKING

Cold Smoking Prior to Sous-Vide Cooking - What are the risks?

<< < (4/4)

Pam Gould:
Dumb question here...What if you partially froze the meat before cold smoking? Like half and hour to an hour, depending on size  and thickness of meat. just sayin.  Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

TentHunteR:

--- Quote from: Pam Gould on September 11, 2014, 10:06:41 AM ---Dumb question here...What if you partially froze the meat before cold smoking? Like half and hour to an hour, depending on size  and thickness of meat. just sayin.  Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

--- End quote ---

I would think, that anything that helps to keep the surface temperature of whole cuts of meat below 43° has got to help reduce the risk. How well smoke will stick to a partially frozen piece of meat, I can't say.

Also keep in mind that freezing will NOT destroy C. Botulinum spores; they simply remain dormant until the right temperature & conditions are met.  So even if frozen, I'd still limit cold-smoking to around 30 minutes or so, just to err on the side of safety, and I'd still sear it off before serving.

Jaxon:
Thanks for the information.  This backyard jack needs all the help he can get to keep from makin' folks sick.

I think we would be remiss if we DIDN'T have this little talk.

Good to know y'all are lookin' out for us.

Pam Gould:
It's a balmy 10º right now..it's time to cold smoke something..like meat, cheeses etc.  Pam  GO BUCKS  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version