Other Cooking Equipment > Cast Iron & Campfire Cooking

Latest thoughts on my Cast Iron Cookware

<< < (6/7) > >>

Savannahsmoker:
Thanks and I will check it out tomorrow.

pmillen:

--- Quote from: Las Vegan Cajun on February 14, 2015, 01:58:34 PM ---You might want to look into enameled cast iron for cookware with a smooth flat bottom.  ;)

--- End quote ---

I'm growing too lazy to properly care for my cast iron frying pans.  I've been looking at the LeCreuset Cookware (or whatever the spelling) 'cause it might be easier to care for non-stick cast iron.  Do any of you use them? 

The interior is black enamel.  Are they non-stick? 

Are users restricted to wood or plastic utensils? 

Do they brown as well as cast iron? 

Store clerks don't know from Shinola.

Smokin Don:

--- Quote from: pmillen on February 14, 2015, 09:48:47 PM ---
--- Quote from: Las Vegan Cajun on February 14, 2015, 01:58:34 PM ---You might want to look into enameled cast iron for cookware with a smooth flat bottom.  ;)

--- End quote ---

I'm growing too lazy to properly care for my cast iron frying pans.  I've been looking at the LeCreuset Cookware (or whatever the spelling) 'cause it might be easier to care for non-stick cast iron.  Do any of you use them? 

The interior is black enamel.  Are they non-stick? 

Are users restricted to wood or plastic utensils? 

Do they brown as well as cast iron? 

Store clerks don't know from Shinola.

--- End quote ---

I had a good enamled  skillet and to me was harder to care for than cast iron. I gave it away. Now wish I had saved it, they are good for cooking tomato based dishes. Don

drholly:
I have a large and small enameled CI Dutch oven and a braising pan. No skillets. These are my every day pots for stews, chili's, etc. Easy to use (still VERY heavy and hold heat well.) I would not say they are non-stick in the sense of Teflon or even a well seasoned CI pan. But they are pretty slick not requiring a lot of fat. On the other hand when building a stew or chili or braise, non-stick is not a big issue.

They are dishwasher safe, although I tend to hand clean them - but I find them in the dishwasher sometimes when I get home.... I find them low maintenance other than the effort it takes to get them into and out of the bottom cabinet. I can't imagine trading them for anything else for use at home. Utensils - I typically use bamboo for almost everything so, no worries.

pmillen:

--- Quote from: Smokin Don on February 14, 2015, 10:31:50 PM ---I had a good enamled  skillet and to me was harder to care for than cast iron. I gave it away. Now wish I had saved it, they are good for cooking tomato based dishes. Don

--- End quote ---

Harder to care for?  In what way?  I thought that I could use the dishwasher most often and scour the heck out of them if necessary without worrying about damaging the non-stick interior.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version