Author Topic: OK so now I have to try this  (Read 3155 times)

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
OK so now I have to try this
« Reply #-1 on: October 08, 2014, 12:40:26 PM »
Going to see what all the fuss is about. Made up my redneck sous vide cooker.

Using my PIS controller to control the temp. Using a air pump to circulate to water.

Plan is to leave the two steaks in there for 6 hours @ 130 F and than leave in fridge over night to suck up the juices. Tomorrow I will sear it on the grill grates. If I like the results I just might get into this type of cooking.  ;)

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: OK so now I have to try this
« on: October 08, 2014, 03:14:02 PM »
Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 06:06:07 PM »
Great....looking forward to seeing it finished.  ;)

When I SV meat and put it back in the fridge I reheat it in the SV at the same temp that it was originally SV'ed at and then sear it.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 01:01:29 PM »
Watching and waiting...
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 06:18:57 PM »
Hmmm, I'm still not convinced about this type of cooking. Had my steak tonight. Seared it for 2 minutes each side on the upside down grill grates. It was tender but I have cooked tender steaks on the gas grill too. Maybe I will try something that is a tough piece of meat and see how that turns out.

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 08:15:44 PM »
I think if you have a good piece of steak, I haven't notice much difference between SV and grilling.
Where I prefer it is things like tri-tip; chuck, short ribs, and skirt steak.
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 12:50:37 AM »
Sous Vide makes a big difference with tougher cuts of meat. A cut of meat that is already tender like a rib eye will turn out better Sous Vide IMHO but not enough to "wow" you.

Now try a London Broil that is fork tender at medium rare and tastes like a fine rib eye... That is when it will "wow" you.

Sous Vide takes a 1.29 cut of meat and turns it into a 8.99 cut of meat.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 12:38:38 PM »
Sous Vide makes a big difference with tougher cuts of meat. A cut of meat that is already tender like a rib eye will turn out better Sous Vide IMHO but not enough to "wow" you.

Now try a London Broil that is fork tender at medium rare and tastes like a fine rib eye... That is when it will "wow" you.

Sous Vide takes a 1.29 cut of meat and turns it into a 8.99 cut of meat.

That's what I'm talking about.  I'm in the process of doing another whole New York loin that I got at Costco for $5.76/lb.  SV the whole loin for 8 hours at 120F, place in fridge overnight, slice into 1" steaks, vacuum seal for later.  These things turn out USDA Prime tender that would cost $20/lb at the Prime Meat market.
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 12:59:43 PM »
Thanks for all the input. Will let you all know whats cooking next. Just way to many things to make  :D

I just might buy one of those dork thingees just for the hot water bath for sausage making. Seems like a good price even here in Canada.

Offline pz

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 01:06:54 PM »
Like most cooking methods, I've found sous vide to be simply another method to accomplish a desired end product.  As has been mentioned, the advantage sous vide offers is transforming a poor beef cut into a taste treat that no one would believe could be so tender, but the rewards are likely not as great when you start with a good cut to begin with.  With that said, there is no better method to cook chicken breast to keep it juicy.

The bottom line for me is that I would use sous vide just for fun, or to transform typically difficult cuts into something special.

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 01:26:27 PM »
For me it would be a different way of planning a meal. I am not used to having something cook so long before you eat it. I will play with this some time down the road and look at some recipes that catch my eye.

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2014, 01:33:14 PM »
Like most cooking methods, I've found sous vide to be simply another method to accomplish a desired end product.  As has been mentioned, the advantage sous vide offers is transforming a poor beef cut into a taste treat that no one would believe could be so tender, but the rewards are likely not as great when you start with a good cut to begin with.  With that said, there is no better method to cook chicken breast to keep it juicy.

The bottom line for me is that I would use sous vide just for fun, or to transform typically difficult cuts into something special.

I agree, I've never had chicken breast come out as tender and as juicy as it does from a SV bath.  Then heat some butter in a CI skillet until it just starts to turn brown, add the SV chicken breasts to brown them.   And that fits in a low-carb diet plan too. ;)
----------------------

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2014, 04:15:57 AM »
Sitting on the sidelines and watching ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.