Author Topic: Kraut for New Year's Day 2015  (Read 1658 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Kraut for New Year's Day 2015
« Reply #-1 on: November 06, 2014, 01:14:59 AM »
Nov 05 2014

A while back I had bought a Perfect Pickler kit for wide mouth jars. It came with an air lock, their special hold down cup, a video on how to use it and a lid that fit wide mouth jars. I had thought if I wanted to ferment some other veggies I could use my quart wide mouth jars or a half gallon jar I have.

I wanted to use my 5 liter crock to make kraut but with my back I didn’t feel like messing with the heavy weight. I ordered some ceramic weights to use in quart and gallon jars and they came Monday. I will make the kraut in a half gallon jar and that will be plenty for my New Year’s Day good luck pork and kraut meal with some left over.

Tuesday I made a trip to Krogers, 9 miles away, to get some organic cabbage if it looked good to use for the kraut. Perfect Pickler said I needed 4 ½ pounds of cabbage for a half gallon. I bought two heads at 6 pounds. I cleaned it and shredded 4 ½ lbs. I layered in the 2 Tbs. of sea salt and stomped it in batches. The cabbage was nice and was giving up its water. I stomped and massaged it with my hands. I was using a tupper ware bowl and covered it to sit overnight to begin fermenting.

Today I stomped it some more and packed in the gallon jar. I liked the new 1 ½ diameter stomper I bought. It worked well in the bowl and to pack in the jar. I made a quart of brine, filtered water and 2 Tbs. sea salt to top off the kraut. I packed the jar to 3 inches from the top added the ceramic weights, topped with some brine, about 1 cup and the hold down cup. I put the lid with air lock on and in 28 days I should have some good kraut.

If you are like me you don’t like the posts that say come back in one or two months but I will get back and update this post. The kraut will be done just before my back operation so will have it in the fridge to mellow out and should be good for my New Year’s Day Meal.

Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Kraut for New Year's Day 2015
« on: November 06, 2014, 02:56:19 AM »
See you in a few months.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 03:16:11 AM »
Looking good Don..I started 2 gallon jars on the 11-4-14..can't wait for it to be done..almost out of kraut. I like your weights tho..mine are too small for the gallon jars that I have. I used the water in a ziploc bag method. I may have to order the bigger weights.  Pam    .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 11:57:53 AM »
Looking good, off to a good start.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 03:02:08 AM »
Update:
Nov 12 2014

Well it’s back to day one for my kraut. I had the stone weights in place and the perfect pickler hold down cup acted as a spacer keeping all the cabbage down and under the brine. I checked it after day 3 to make sure I had the ¼ to ½ inches of air space. I used the cup to take out some of the brine and then resealed with the lid and air lock. It looked good through day 6 but when I took the lid off to check it; it didn’t smell great and when I looked at the cup there was some brown goo in the bottom and noted some on the plastic lid. I didn’t want to take a chance on it so I threw it all out.

I got some new organic cabbage and started over. I just have enough time before my back operation to let the cabbage ferment 28 days and get it sealed and in the fridge. I should still be able to have some good sauerkraut for New Year’s Day.

When I first bought the perfect pickler their system using a small stainless steel cup to hold the vegetables under the brine looked good to me. I read the instructions over and I had followed good practices. It said to check for a little air space and it was possible for the brine to enter the air lock and to just remove some of the brine.

This was the first time I had a problem and I think it is about the sixth batch I have made. I had used glass weights in a gallon jar and stone weights in my 5 liter fermenting crock. Even with the weights my cabbage has always wanted to rise up for at least 5 days. Once I added a plastic bag filled with water to keep it down in my gallon jar.  A glass jar is nice since you can watch it, with my fermenting jar I check it every two days and if it is coming up use a tablespoon to push it back down.

I will report back in about 30 days. Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline Pam Gould

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 08:18:39 AM »
Don..my last 2 batches end up like that too..not sure what happened..I even contacted the company and they said I did everything right..just gotta go on. I have a new batch, 2 gallons worth going now..It looks fine..at day 3 the cabbage turned whitish and all is fine now..they told me to NOT open the jar..Air is your enemy. So I'm gonna wait to try it till later. I started on 11/14 so I have time. Good luck with yours. I did order the bigger weights, waiting for them to show up any time now. Good luck.  Pam    .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 08:34:41 AM »
I'll bet that kraut will be fantastic. 

Good luck on your back operation.  You and your family are in our prayers.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 11:42:02 AM »
Don..my last 2 batches end up like that too..not sure what happened..I even contacted the company and they said I did everything right..just gotta go on. I have a new batch, 2 gallons worth going now..It looks fine..at day 3 the cabbage turned whitish and all is fine now..they told me to NOT open the jar..Air is your enemy. So I'm gonna wait to try it till later. I started on 11/14 so I have time. Good luck with yours. I did order the bigger weights, waiting for them to show up any time now. Good luck.  Pam    .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
I am done using the cup at least for kraut. I read over their book and no where do they say do not open until done. All I have read and seen about making kraut is it actually creates a 1/2 inch layer of some gas on top of the brine that helps keep out the oxygen. I am ready to place my new batch in the jar and will just use the ceramic weights.  The ceramic weights I bought are 4 inch and just right for the ball half gallon jar. For quarts you would need the 3 inch. Hope both our krauts turn out good! Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline Pam Gould

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 12:09:51 PM »
I am done using the cup at least for kraut. I read over their book and no where do they say do not open until done. All I have read and seen about making kraut is it actually creates a 1/2 inch layer of some gas on top of the brine that helps keep out the oxygen. I am ready to place my new batch in the jar and will just use the ceramic weights.  The ceramic weights I bought are 4 inch and just right for the ball half gallon jar. For quarts you would need the 3 inch. Hope both our krauts turn out good! Don
Don..I am using the gallon jugs, 2 of them..I ordered some bigger weights from Williams Sonoma..really cheap and free shipping on them..thought I did real good..waiting for my fed-ex guy, he loves me. We should be fine..hate to waste sauerkraut, I eat mine straight from the jar and cold pack the rest.  Pam    .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron