Author Topic: Cold Brewed Coffee  (Read 3319 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Cold Brewed Coffee
« Reply #-1 on: November 08, 2014, 12:00:53 PM »
Nov 08 2014

Cold brewed coffee is something new to me. While searching cooking sites and blogs I ran across the idea. I knew I had to try it since over the years I have always looked for the better cup of coffee.

Over the years a Mr. Coffee brewer was my method for my morning coffee. Then Starbucks and other coffee houses caught on and they did make good coffee but pretty expensive. For several years I used a French press and that did make good coffee; but it was kind of a pain to boil the water every morning and wait on my coffee.  I went back to a Mr. Coffee brewer.

Then our son and wife lived in S.C. and on a visit I drank coffee from their Kuerig coffee maker. It is about 50 cents US a cup and I said I was not going to pay that much for coffee when I could brew it for about 10 cents a cup. I was hooked though and when we came home I bought a Kuerig. After trying many different brands Newman’s Own is now my favorite.

I think the cold brewing is fairly new and could not find a lot of info on it. It says the cold brew method does not extract the acid like hot brewing does and it tastes better and is easier on your stomach. If you look on Amazon you can buy cold brew systems from about $10 to $80 US.

All you really need is a jar or container to let it brew in and a way to filter it, coffee filter, cheese cloth etc. I happened to have a French press and that is what I used.

The recipe is to mix 4:1 water and ground coffee and let it set 12 hours or overnight. I used some 8 O’clock dark roast coffee and made 4 cups in my French press and pressed it after setting overnight.
I poured the concentrate in a quart jar to save.

To make a cup it said to start with a 3:1 mix of water and concentrate. That was too week for me so my next cup I mixed it 2:1. That was better but may like it best mixed 1:1. It is smooth without an acid taste.
I like it but will go back to my Kuerig and may use the cold brew next summer to make iced coffee.  I just thought maybe some of you coffee lovers might be interested especially if you like coffee but don’t need the acid.

Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Cold Brewed Coffee
« on: November 08, 2014, 04:15:25 PM »
Sounds very good.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 05:05:41 PM »
Interesting Don!

I bought some stainless re-fillable cups for Keurig. This allows me to use any kind of coffee I like and fill the cups - dump 'em, and use them over and over...SO it takes the cost per cup down to whatever your choice of coffee works to cost-wise.

Here is a link tho you can find them cheaper ( as low as 5-6 bucks if you watch Amazon )

http://www.amazon.com/Ekobrew-Stainless-Refillable-Keurig-Brewers/dp/B00859FH7O/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1415484267&sr=8-4&keywords=k+cup+refillable
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 10:16:46 PM »
I also use my reusable pods in my Keurig. Allows me to brew Starbucks or other ground coffee in my Kerurig.

Never made cold brewed coffee but I do have a French press. Might give it a try. Thanks for the info Don!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline DWard51

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 11:51:16 PM »
I've been the french press, aero press, and other routes.  I finally settled on a Bunn single serve with interchangeable drawers.  It can work with K-cups, pods, or any brand of ground coffee.  I just use the coffee holder for the type I want to brew (it came with all the drawers).    Makes up to 14 ounces at a shot (with the ground coffee drawer packed to the brim). 

On the K-cup side, I also have those refillable cups, but I usually go with the ground coffee drawer as it holds more coffee and makes the bigger cups at a good strength (14 ounces).

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 10:06:23 AM »
Thanks T for the link on the cups, the one I use does not make good coffee but these look like they may choke down the water flow to make better coffee. I still like the k-cups Newman's Own special blend and don't mind paying 40 cents a cup buying them from Sams Club. I think I am worth a good cup of coffee!  ;D 3 cups a day is about my average.

This was really about cold pressing coffee and thinking it may be the way to go for anyone who does not need the acid but likes coffee. I just had a cup of the cold press at 1:1 and that's about right for my taste. If I can remember next summer I will use the cold press for making iced coffee. Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 10:11:48 AM »
A few points/comments.

At the Gathering we used a Keurig  that someone had brought rather than the drip pot we usually use. If someone would had told me before hand making single cups for a group would  work out well, I would have doubted them.  However, it worked out great.  Especially, since the Keurig we were using had the capability to adjust to cup size.  It also allowed folks to customize their coffee to their desires either using the refills or those expensive, fancy, smancy thingys.

I don't have a French press---as a matter of fact I don't have anything French (except maybe a WWII French rifle that was never fired but dropped once when surrending ;))---so I cold brew the coffee for Carole.  The way I do it is just put the amount of coffee in a container of water and let it sit in the refrigerator over night.  It takes some experimenting to get the strength just right for your taste.  My Daddy loved iced coffee but I never have developed a taste for it.

If you are interested just google how to make ice coffee and/or go on YouTube.  I found some very interesting ways...and some very interesting folks...on YouTube on how to do iced coffee.

Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 10:33:13 AM »
Thanks Don this has been a good thread - and some good ideas on coffee in general. I will try the cold brewing. We have a french press ( Don't worry Dee ...it was made in China - like most all of our American goods are nowadays :D ) And I will try it!
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 10:55:50 AM »
Sounds interesting I may have to try it myself.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline hikerman

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 11:19:39 AM »
I was introduced to cold-brewed coffee about 30 years ago by a chef friend of mine. I loved it from the first cup I tried. He gave me the components to do it myself. The kit is a Filtron, and I'm STILL using it! I just need to order filters from time to time. It is truly the perfect cup of coffee. It can be as weak or as strong as you'd like, as you measure the syrup to taste. There is never any waste, like in the Mr. Coffee-type brewers when it cooks coffee into a bitter tasting concoction. A side benefit as Don stated is the great reduction of acidity in the coffee leaving more of a coffee taste. After 30 years I really don't want my coffee any other way!
I buy my whole beans in bulk to cut costs down to what you'd pay for grocery store coffee but in bulk you get top shelf world market beans.
Here is where I buy beans, and the Filtron site.

Cheers!

www.coffeebeandirect.com

www.filtron.com

[attachments deleted after 6 months]

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2014, 11:29:05 AM »
I think the french press is pretty popular overseas. Watching "britcoms" on PBS, I see em a bunch.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 10:43:50 AM »
Thanks Gene for your post and links! I guess cold brewing has been around a long time, just new to me! Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2014, 11:11:22 AM »
Yes - me too Gene! Thanks! I am going to try out the Filtron!
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline hikerman

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2014, 12:58:21 PM »
Yes - me too Gene! Thanks! I am going to try out the Filtron!
Tim you can't go wrong in getting one of these kits. We make the syrup once a week, using 1# of coarsely ground coffee and 2 qts. of water. This sits for 12 hours and is then drained using the filter, into a carafe. You retrieve about 56 oz. Of syrup. After this initial filtering, I add 1 qt. water to grounds and let it sit 24 hrs. to extract all that is left and get an additional 24 oz. which gets mixed with first batch.
Nothing is better on ice cream than a few oz of syrup with a bit of sugar mixed in and thickened on stove!

Also when we travel, our coffee extract/syrup goes with us. No coffee will ever taste as good as yours!

Offline hikerman

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2014, 02:12:15 PM »
Thanks Gene for your post and links! I guess cold brewing has been around a long time, just new to me! Don

You are welcome buddy!
I believe the Dutch were the first to cold-brew coffee in the 1600's, so this style of coffee truly has been around awhile!