Author Topic: Crispy Shrimp Toes  (Read 3792 times)

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
Crispy Shrimp Toes
« Reply #-1 on: December 15, 2014, 06:07:18 PM »
This is a bit of an unusual snack, but I figured where better to let your culinary freak flag fly!? 

Since we were kids, my parents would take the shrimp tails from our meal, and crisp them in the toaster oven, and serve it as a little bonus treat after dinner.   

So now anytime I make dishes with shrimp, I buy the easy peel shrimp and save the shell and tails for a little treat for myself, and call it Crispy Shrimp Toes. 

Just pan fry them with a little butter and some Tony C's seasoning, and it's a nice crispy salty snack! 

[attachments deleted after 6 months]
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Crispy Shrimp Toes
« on: December 15, 2014, 06:11:05 PM »
I so need to try this.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 06:18:49 PM »
Seriously?   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 08:59:06 PM »
In many Asian cultures - shrimp are de-headed, then fried in oil and spices - and eaten with shell.
When the shell is done thoroughly,  it has a nice  - almost potato chip like quality that does not detract from the shrimp IMHO.

Like this idea! Thanks Kat.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 09:57:57 PM »
I've heard of them being fried whole, until crispy, like Tee mentioned, but have never tried it myself. Maybe I need to.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline hikerman

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 10:24:55 PM »
Sounds real good Kat!

I used to make a shrimp dish I learned from the Frugal Gourmet on PBS. It was made in a wok with shell-on shrimp, garlic, fresh ginger, green onion, and gin.
Everything is eaten, and it's mighty tasty!

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 10:28:15 PM »
Never thought you could eat the shrimp shells and tails...

I would try them!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 12:42:05 AM »
I pretty much always eat the shell & tail along with the shrimp itself (but, then again, I'm a frugal and usually hungry turtle). Never thought of saving them for later though. Interesting idea.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 01:28:37 AM »
In many Asian cultures - shrimp are de-headed, then fried in oil and spices - and eaten with shell.
When the shell is done thoroughly,  it has a nice  - almost potato chip like quality that does not detract from the shrimp IMHO.

There's a sushi place nearby that serves fried shrimp heads, I order them every time I go there, they are great.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 04:49:03 AM »

There's a sushi place nearby that serves fried shrimp heads, I order them every time I go there, they are great.
Do the eyeballs pop when you bite  into them?   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 10:21:52 AM »
Seriously?   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

With no shrimp meat ?

Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 01:45:24 PM »
Yes, Ahron, it's just the shells of the shrimp. 

Like Turtle, I eat the whole shrimp, shell and all.   Since I know most people don't do this, when I make a dish with shrimp, I just peel and save all the shells ahead of time, rather than watching them get thrown out while people eat.   That way the crispy treats don't just get tossed out and I can enjoy my bizarre snack on my own!  :) 

I've only run into one other person (in Louisiana) that did the same, with a similar story of parents teaching them it was a special treat.  :)   Remember that-- you can get your kids to eat really weird crap if you just make it sound like it's extra special bonus!!   My dad grew up eating the skin off of cow tongue for that same reason--  his mom made it his super special treat for helping her in the kitchen when she cooked cow and moose tongue for dinners.   

MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2014, 04:17:56 PM »

Like Turtle, I eat the whole shrimp, shell and all.   Since I know most people don't do this, when I make a dish with shrimp, I just peel and save all the shells ahead of time, rather than watching them get thrown out while people eat.   That way the crispy treats don't just get tossed out and I can enjoy my bizarre snack on my own!  :) 

I've only run into one other person (in Louisiana) that did the same, with a similar story of parents teaching them it was a special treat.  :)   Remember that-- you can get your kids to eat really weird crap if you just make it sound like it's extra special bonus!!  My dad grew up eating the skin off of cow tongue for that same reason--  his mom made it his super special treat for helping her in the kitchen when she cooked cow and moose tongue for dinners.

That's how some parents got their kids to eat peas.  :P
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2014, 05:30:23 PM »
Gonna have to give this a try.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2014, 05:37:09 PM »

I've only run into one other person (in Louisiana) that did the same, with a similar story of parents teaching them it was a special treat.  :)   Remember that-- you can get your kids to eat really weird crap if you just make it sound like it's extra special bonus!!  My dad grew up eating the skin off of cow tongue for that same reason--  his mom made it his super special treat for helping her in the kitchen when she cooked cow and moose tongue for dinners.

That's how some parents got their kids to eat peas.  :P

Also our Louisiana parents used that tactic to get us to suck crawfish heads and slurp down raw oysters. ;)
----------------------