Author Topic: For SPARKY...  (Read 1695 times)

Offline Jaxon

For SPARKY...
« Reply #-1 on: January 15, 2015, 03:34:11 PM »
Tryin' to help Sparky make his way into the hot tub club...

The ANOVA Precision Cooker was my choice over the ANOVA One because is adjustable.  I am sending pics from this afternoon.  I used a 2 qt saucepan to cook an egg.  Adjusted the "collar" to hold it upright even in this small pan.  Then I took it straight from that pan to the much larger container with 6 1/2 quarts of water.  Therein I am cooking a NY Strip for supper tonite (more on that later)

Now, you asked me to cook an egg, so I put one in for the "fast finish" - 167* for 15 minutes.  See pics...the yolk was good for me, but the whites didn't set well enough at that temp.  In fact, some of the white wasn't cooked enuff to come out of the shell.  I'm sure on a longer cook at a lower temp you will get the ever-elusive "perfect egg".So, this is my offering and my armpit (opinion).
Here are the pics.

[attachments deleted after 6 months]
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: For SPARKY...
« on: January 15, 2015, 03:40:12 PM »
Who'da thunk?

The instructions for steaks, pork, and others are pretty straight forward. But eggs...? Wow!

Here you go - http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/10/sous-vide-101-all-about-eggs.html

Looking forward to the journey!

You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 03:53:40 PM »
I doubt very seriously that I'll be using Suzy (my new name for her) to cook eggs for me...seems to be much faster and easier in the 2 qt pan without her.  And, face it, I'm not an egg snob - heck, I don't consider myself to be a food snob at any level.

Still just a backyard jack.

just sayin'...

<><

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 03:56:17 PM »
Looks like there's going to be a SV New York Steak cook off tonight, I got three of them in the hot tub right now.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 04:06:39 PM »
I'm watchin' you, Ralph...
<><

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 04:09:28 PM »
Looking forward to the cook off.

I agree with Jack - I am pretty good with eggs in my pan or pot - look forward to SV for other stuff!
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 04:26:02 PM »
I'm watchin' you, Ralph...

It's game on tonight.  ;D
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 04:32:51 PM »
kinda looks like poached eggs Jaxon..gonna check out egg cooking on my Suzy.  Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ. 
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 04:42:27 PM »
Well I love a perfectly poached egg myself ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 05:05:23 PM »
Everybody's reading this thread except for Sparky...
Where are you?
<><

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 06:30:02 PM »
Where are you?

Right here buddy.  Everyone has helped me out a lot.  I have pm'ed almost 20 ppl here asking all kinds of questions.  Thanks for all y'all input.  After calling a few sous vide companies today I just ordered a Nomiku sous vide unit for $200.  Should ship tomorrow from San Francisco.  Thanks for everyone's help.  Soon to be party of the bathtub crowd.   8)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2015, 06:32:58 PM »
Where are you?

Right here buddy.  Everyone has helped me out a lot.  I have pm'ed almost 20 ppl here asking all kinds of questions.  Thanks for all y'all input.  After calling a few sous vide companies today I just ordered a Nomiku sous vide unit for $200.  Should ship tomorrow from San Francisco.  Thanks for everyone's help.  Soon to be party of the bathtub crowd.   8)

WOO HOO!!!

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2015, 07:27:50 PM »
Where are you?

That's great news and you are probably the first and only one here with a Nomiku, it will be great to read your review on how this unit performs.   ;)
----------------------

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, 07:39:58 PM »
Where are you?

That's great news and you are probably the first and only one here with a Nomiku, it will be great to read your review on how this unit performs.   ;)

Looking forward to your thoughts!
Member #

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2015, 07:47:34 PM »
Where are you?

Looking forward to your thoughts!
Another can't wait to here how it does for you,,never heard of that brand, got me curious now.  Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ. 
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron