Author Topic: First Steak S V Video...  (Read 3430 times)

Offline Jaxon

First Steak S V Video...
« Reply #-1 on: January 16, 2015, 10:13:10 AM »
It's easier for me to post a video than to have to write the story and list all the pics individually.

I finally remembered how to get the video up.  Not the best quality, but you'll get the idea of how the cook went.  The sound level was good until the steak hit the skillet, the mic was facing the skillet, so that's what you hear.  I did this with the old Flip Video.

B T W, notice that the "edge-to-edge" effect was not compromised with a sear before and a sear after the bath.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 10:21:04 AM by Jaxon »
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
Re: First Steak S V Video...
« on: January 16, 2015, 10:32:10 AM »
Jaxon.....That is awesome, not only did the steak turn out fabulous so is the video, very nicely done. ;)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 11:47:35 AM by Las Vegan Cajun »
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 10:57:25 AM »
Great video.  Steak cook perfect jack. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 11:03:45 AM »
Excellent video, Jack. Do you think pre and post sear is the way to go? It sure does look delicious!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 11:25:40 AM »
Excellent video, Jack. Do you think pre and post sear is the way to go? It sure does look delicious!

I just put the technique out there for consideration...

I will do steaks like this every time because I liked the results.  I noticed , too, that it did change the color of the meat at the edges.  There was nothing negative about cooking it like this.  I heard a chef say that you can sear your steak a day or 2 before and put it back in the fridge till you're ready to cook.

Remember, though, I only have experience with 2 cooks.
<><

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 11:54:17 AM »

David.....I've done pre, post, and pre/post methods and they all turn out decent.  I will say that if you do pre-sear only then SV, some of the sear disappears during the water bath, I would recommend a post-sear if doing a pre-sear.
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 11:56:14 AM »

I will do steaks like this every time because I liked the results.  I noticed , too, that it did change the color of the meat at the edges.  There was nothing negative about cooking it like this.  I heard a chef say that you can sear your steak a day or 2 before and put it back in the fridge till you're ready to cook.

And you're a pro at it already, looking forward to seeing more of your cooks with it. ;)
----------------------

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 12:20:12 PM »

And you're a pro at it already, looking forward to seeing more of your cooks with it. ;)

X2!
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 01:10:33 PM »

David.....I've done pre, post, and pre/post methods and they all turn out decent.  I will say that if you do pre-sear only then SV, some of the sear disappears during the water bath, I would recommend a post-sear if doing a pre-sear.
I agree...the post-sear is more important...in fact, if you only sear once - sear last imho
<><

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 02:24:42 PM »
Thanks - an excellent starting point. I look forward to the journey!
Member #

Offline hikerman

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 03:26:40 PM »
As I have learned from Swami Muebe, the best sv cook is when you refrigerate overnight and then do your final sear. This allows most juices to re-enter the meat and this cold, juicy hunk of meat can be seared without much danger of overcooking, or going past your predetermined IT setpoint.

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2015, 03:37:25 PM »
Thanks Jack for the video....like I said before someone should hire you to do commercials.....you are a natural. The first time I seen one of your videos was on chicken wings on a Charbroil TBE.....I just thought you worked for CB. Please keep the videos coming Mr. Jack and miss Deb !!!
Oh the steaks look delicious . :P
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2015, 05:14:56 PM »
Looks great Jaxon!

Nice job on the video. Your a natural ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Pappymn

First Steak S V Video...
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2015, 05:15:15 PM »
Great video and results.  May want to stick with radio. 8)
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline hikerman

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2015, 05:27:19 PM »
Great video and results.  May want to stick with radio. 8)

:D :D :D :D :D   ???