Author Topic: Mush and Eggs for Lunch  (Read 5421 times)

Offline Jaxon

Re: Mush and Eggs for Lunch
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2015, 05:08:09 PM »
All right...when I saw the first note from Don, I thought he was referring to grits...mush is what a lot of yankees call grits.  Down here, I cook my own just about every morning to eat with eggs over light.  I cut up the egg and mix it into the grits and add a little Frank's.  It's so good I hardly ever have enough left over to put into a loaf pan.
I have eaten it prepared the way Don has it, but nobody down here buys a loaf like that.  We can make it up 15 minutes if we use real stone ground grits.  We have had left over grits from time to time and they do taste good when fried in the pan after you cook the bacon or sausage.

Imagine...I could open Backyard Jack's Mush House if I lived up nawth with y'all.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2015, 05:09:33 PM »
C'mon up, Jack! We got a room or two for you.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2015, 09:21:30 PM »
I used some pre-made polenta for my SV short rib meal recently.  Therefore, I would love a plate like you prepared.

As far as liver mush and scrapple, I'm not a terribly big fan.  My PA grandparents and my Mother used to cook up scrapple.  Never developed a taste for that.  Tried liver mush when I moved to NC.  It was okay, but won't be a regular in our household.  I did try something with liver mush quite a while ago.  I gave it a heavy smoke on my MAK with hickory pellets.  To me, it helped a lot.  Not enough to do it again anytime soon, however.

Art   

Next time, wrap the slices of liver mush in bacon - then fry it. When cool enough to handle - carefully unwrap - and throw away the liver mush. ;D

I can't lie.  I love livermush and scrapple both.  For the livermush, you've got to try in with the grape jelly.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2015, 09:53:24 PM »
There is a Liver Mush Festival in Shelby NC every year, and - you will find there are 2 factions among the liver mush lovers. One loves the grape jelly, the other loves yellow mustard on theirs.

Me...? I prefer mine on someone else's plate ;D.  Really...I do crave it once or twice a year - just to refresh my memory of why I don't like it :D :D :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2015, 10:44:03 PM »
this looks really good.   :)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline RAD

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2015, 10:45:33 PM »
so, let get this right. If I make some grits and let them set to a loft I will have mush?
Love to cook and eat

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2015, 10:53:55 PM »
There is a Liver Mush Festival in Shelby NC every year, and - you will find there are 2 factions among the liver mush lovers. One loves the grape jelly, the other loves yellow mustard on theirs.

Me...? I prefer mine on someone else's plate ;D.  Really...I do crave it once or twice a year - just to refresh my memory of why I don't like it :D :D :D

There is a testicle festival every year in Arkansas... does that make them good?
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2015, 02:56:14 AM »
I don't have a clue what y'all are talking about. I travel all the time and have never heard of such a concoction. Maybe I'm just oblivious to the obvious.

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2015, 07:11:05 AM »
so, let get this right. If I make some grits and let them set to a loft I will have mush?

RAD, I am just a backyard jack, but I think if you cook some stone ground yellow grits with a little butter until it gets a real thick consistency, then you can put it in a loaf pan and chill it.  Take it out and slice it and fry some up.
This kind of mush has no meat or meat by-products in it.
I MAY add this to the menu at Backyard Jack's BBQ.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline Hub

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2015, 08:02:39 AM »
All that needs to be absolutely perfect is a big ol' biscuit and an ample bowl of GRAVY on the side.  Your fried mush is gorgeous!

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline RAD

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2015, 05:49:46 PM »

RAD, I am just a backyard jack, but I think if you cook some stone ground yellow grits with a little butter until it gets a real thick consistency, then you can put it in a loaf pan and chill it.  Take it out and slice it and fry some up.
This kind of mush has no meat or meat by-products in it.
I MAY add this to the menu at Backyard Jack's BBQ.
Just added some to my shopping list
Love to cook and eat

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2015, 08:40:12 PM »
Don, you sure know how to make an Ohio boy hungry!

RAD, that Jaxon is pretty smart. He pretty much nailed it, only instead of grits use regular yellow cornmeal (which is a finer grind).

Here's an easy recipe: 1 Part Yellow Cornmeal, 2 Parts water, and a little salt.  Cook until thick, then chill overnight in a loaf pan. Slice and fry in butter (or for 3 X the YUM... bacon grease).

If you like grits, then you'll like cornmeal mush.

Tim when you and Art are here on a road trip (maybe for the Ohio Gathering), I'll take you to the Amish Door for the breakfast buffet.  Hub should come too, because believe it or not, here in Ohio we DO know how to make sausage gravy too!   ;D
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 08:54:02 PM by TentHunteR »
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2015, 08:42:34 PM »
Don.....another fine looking plate, nicely done. ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Tonybel

• We BBQ and Grill every chance we get.
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2015, 09:36:06 PM »
Perfect!!!!!!
18.5 WSM, 14.5 WSM, 22.5 Black OTG, 22.5 Blue Perfomer, 22.5 Old red head (patent pending), Jumbo Joe, Smokey Joe, Weber Q, Weber Genesis.
Cast Iron disc and a comal for tacos that sit on a stand and use propane burner.