Author Topic: First cook on my ANOVA  (Read 3295 times)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
First cook on my ANOVA
« Reply #-1 on: January 23, 2015, 07:04:12 PM »
Which came first?.... Well for me .... the egg....

Family is away today so I am trying some eggs. I love a perfectly (can never find) poached egg. My wife and kids like them hard - yuk! So, this is my chance. Everything I've read leads me to a 75* (C) egg at 13 minutes... tried that one first. The yolk is perfect, but the whites are a bit too loose for me. At 15 minutes it is close to the ultimate. Next time I will try 14 minutes - it appears the difference of a minute or two are critical. But even at 15 minutes this is the absolute best egg I have ever had.

As you look at the pictures, realize my normal breakfast would include some bacon and some sausage gravy (yes, Hub there would be gravy!) But for this experiment, I just wanted to see how the egg would turn out. Oh my goodness it is good! I could almost skip the rest of the breakfast!

The 15 minute egg had a nice white that slipped out of the shell with no "leavings." The yolk while not as runny as I like was smooth and custardy - perfect on the toast.

Emma has a sleepover tonight with 3 friends - planning to make poached eggs with toast and sausage gravy for breakfast. Already loving this thing!

[attachments deleted after 6 months]
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
Re: First cook on my ANOVA
« on: January 23, 2015, 07:19:43 PM »
So David..you cooked the egg in the shell? no vacu sealing? I make a really good poached egg.don't knwo if I wanna go thru all that,I use water with soem vinegar and go for it.   Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 07:46:49 PM »
So David..you cooked the egg in the shell? no vacu sealing? I make a really good poached egg.don't knwo if I wanna go thru all that,I use water with soem vinegar and go for it.   Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

Yes, I did - just the eggs in the water after it preheated..

I have made poached eggs for years (every Christmas morning and a few dozen days through the year.) - water, vinegar, etc. Sometime they were great sometimes not. They always had these octopus trailings... The folks liked them because it was Christmas morning or whatever, but I never really felt good about them. Just too much variation.

This time, perfect, nicely cooked whites, perfect yolks, no "trailings." Just knowing that every time I put an egg in the bath it will come out right is a life saver when I am making dozens. Would I buy this just to make eggs? No. But the benefit of this device is I CAN make perfect eggs on Christmas morning.
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 07:49:23 PM »
Pam, Actually thinking about "all that..." This is SOOOOO much easier than poaching an egg. Hook up the ANOVA set the temp. When it is right, lay in the eggs.. 15 minutes later, take them out and crack the top - slide 'em out - there you go. Honestly, it is so much easier than regular poaching.

This gives me more time to spend playing with my gravy...  ;) ;D ;D ;D ;)
Member #

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 07:51:59 PM »
Those eggs look great David, nicely done.   I've done eggs with mine too and it's great the way the come out and slide out of the shell so easily. 
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Pappymn

First cook on my ANOVA
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 07:57:34 PM »
Nice cook partner. Wife loves poached eggs. Gonna try this.
Remember we do F here and not C. 8)
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 07:59:37 PM »
Nice and "safe" trial, David...I only did one or two eggs and they came out like your first one so I quit with the eggs.
I can try 75 C for 14 minutes to see what happens...I don't like leaving whites in the shell.

Ain't it great when a plan comes together?  I think between you and Meube, I might get some pretty good food out of the bath.

Looking forward to your first steak...
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 08:02:07 PM »

Remember we do F here and not C. 8)

The neat thing about this cooker is that it converts to both modes...so if the recipe calls for 76 C, you can dial it in with no guess work - if you're in "real" temps, you change it to F's.  No problem...
<><

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 08:12:07 PM »
Oh, David, one more thing with those eggs...

There's no need to use a huge pot for 3 or 4 eggs.  With the adjustable collar, you can use a 2 qt sauce pan which means you use less water which means it heats up faster and uses less energy.

Just sayin'...
<><

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 10:25:44 PM »
Jack, You are right, I didn't give any thought to "real temps." It said 75*C so that's what I dialed - worked great. Who knows I might become a "world guy." Yeah, I know I don't need the big pot and it took a bit longer to heat up, but first I wanted to see how long it took to heat up - not too long - and second I am planning for the next cook - grown up chicken - so figured what the heck, get my wife used to seeing a pot on the counter. Yeah like that will play...  8)

Jack, I will say try an egg at 14 or 15 minutes - oh my goodness it is excellent. Maybe I can poach an egg in a few less minutes, but as hard as I have tried I have never made one so nice. It slipped out of the shell with no trailing whites, and the yolk was custardy, soft and perfect. I would like to have this on a biscuit any morning. A perfect way to break in my new cooker!
Member #

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 10:30:46 PM »
Fantastic David! Great to see your first SV cook!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2015, 10:38:03 PM »
Goofy as it might be - it is fun!
Member #

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2015, 11:19:20 PM »
Oh for cryin' out loud, DR.  I am actually salivating.  It's 10:15 PM and I was thinking about popcorn.  Now I'm thinking about poaching some eggs.

BTW, are they cold, right out of the refrigerator, when they take the bath?
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2015, 11:33:37 PM »
Oh for cryin' out loud, DR.  I am actually salivating.  It's 10:15 PM and I was thinking about popcorn.  Now I'm thinking about poaching some eggs.

BTW, are they cold, right out of the refrigerator, when they take the bath?

Right out of the fridge,

Member #

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2015, 12:53:54 AM »
Goofy as it might be - it is fun!

Just wait until you get into the long cook stuff, that's were it really gets to be fun. ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)