Author Topic: Italian Gravy for Meatballs and Fried Ravioli  (Read 2573 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Italian Gravy for Meatballs and Fried Ravioli
« Reply #-1 on: January 25, 2015, 03:17:03 PM »
Jan 24 2015

It has been ages since I made some Italian gravy. The recipe is from the Frugal Gourmet. I used to watch his show and have most of his cookbooks. I liked the guy until I found out he liked little boys. I made a batch early so it was ready to use for supper. It makes a large batch and will keep about a week. I will freeze some of mine too. The gravy would be great with any BBQ meats too.

I had bought some Italian meatballs at Krogers that looked good, Margharita brand. I got the idea of fried ravioli from the Mississippi Current cookbook and followed a recipe by Giada of food network for using frozen cheese ravioli.

Toasted or fried ravioli comes from the Italians in St. Louis. When I hear St. Louis I think of ribs and BBQ but the fried ravioli is another favorite food there.

I breaded the ravioli ahead; dipping in buttermilk then coating with Italian seasoned breadcrumbs. I shallow fried them in a skillet with ½ inch of olive oil at 325-350 deg. about 1 ½ minutes per side. The meatballs I placed in a skillet and in my convection oven at 375 deg. for 20 minutes turning half way. I then poured the grease off and wiped out the skillet, put the meatballs back in and poured some Italian gravy over and heated up while I did the ravioli.

The grandson was here since his Mom had to go in for work and his Dad was working. I served the meatballs in a bowl with some of the gravy to dip the ravioli in too. I warmed up some of the Red Lobster biscuits to have too. The wife and I liked the ravioli but the grandson wasn’t crazy about them. He ended up eating 5 meatballs though!

The daughter in law didn’t get here until 7:00. I had 3 ravioli left so heated up the oil and fried them for her. She made a salad and had a biscuit. She liked the ravioli.  The ravioli would make a great appetizer or part snack too. It is usually served with marinara sauce and I think ranch or blue cheese dressing would be good too.

Ingredients for the gravy

For supper

Smokin Don

Recipe for gravy:

FG Italian Gravy

2 28 oz. cans crushed tomatoes
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
1 quart chicken or beef stock
2 cups dry red wine
¼ cup olive oil
2 onions, minced
6 large garlic cloves, chopped
2 ribs celery, with leaves, minced
1 carrot grated
½ cup chopped parsley
½ pound fresh mushrooms, chopped (optional)
½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1 tbs. crushed oregano
1 tsp. dried rosemary
2 bay leaves
1 tbs. dried basil
½ tbs. fresh ground pepper
1 tbs. salt or to taste
1 tsp. sugar
1 pound of pork neck bones or chicken backs and necks

In a large pot place the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, chicken or beef stock, and wine. Heat a large frying pan and add the olive oil. Sautee the onions, garlic, celery, and carrots until they start to brown. Add to the pot with the rest of the ingredients. Bring to a boil then turn down the heat and simmer for two hours partly covered, stirring often. Remove the bones and discard; skim the fat from the top. Store in the fridge, in a glass, plastic, or stainless steel container. It will keep for a week. Good for anything you would use tomato sauce on. This freezes well.

Note: I use just one cup of red wine, but it is not as good without the wine. I use chicken broth and any chicken bones I have saved. I sometimes pick any meat from the bones and add back to the pot. I think it’s the best tomato gravy, sauce, I have had.
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Pappymn

Italian Gravy for Meatballs and Fried Ravioli
« on: January 25, 2015, 03:42:00 PM »
Ah......the Frugal Gourmet. He was a big influence of me getting into cooking. I had his books too. First dish I made of his was chicken cooked under a brick. Then he turned into scum.

Looks great SD!
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline hikerman

Re: Italian Gravy for Meatballs and Fried Ravioli
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 03:56:58 PM »
Looks good Don. I grew up having Italian Gravy, we called it Sunday Gravy, nearly every Sunday. It is always a great memory! I can smell those wonderful smells coming out of grandma's kitchen even now!

Similar experience with Frugal Gourmet. He taught me a lot from his PBS Show. Too bad he was not as good of a human as he was a cook!

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 05:18:00 PM »
I love fried ravioli. Your gravy recipe sounds excellent - will give it a try.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 05:49:21 PM »
Oh boy!  I am hungry.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 06:14:54 PM »
I've got his books, too.  There are some really good recipes in all of them.  I am bookmarking this one.  Love meatballs.  Haven't tried fried ravioli, yet.  Thanks for posting.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 08:02:28 PM »
Looks real tasty Don!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 09:12:38 AM »
Great looking eats Don!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Hub

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 11:59:00 AM »
You had me reeled in after the second word in the title  ::)

Jeff Smith died in 2004 of heart disease.  He was charged with sexual misconduct but was never convicted.  There were civil cases settled out of court, however.  Thus, what besmirched his reputation may or may not have been true.  Like Paula Deen, he was a frequent "whipping boy" of the New York food establishment which considered him a rube and his approach illegitimate.  I too, liked his show and have one of his cookbooks. 

Hub
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 12:07:21 PM by Hub »
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 12:50:08 PM »
Fried ravioli?  I would love to try that, how interesting!! The meatballs look delicious, too, I bet that gravy was divine! 

Frugal Gourmet, what a blast from the past!!!   We lived in Seattle during the 80's, and all us kids were brought up watching his PBS shows.  My little brother called him "Mr. Cooker", and will still ask about recipes he remembers watching Mr. Cooker make.   

Thanks for sharing, Don!
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 02:01:17 PM »
You had me reeled in after the second word in the title  ::)

Jeff Smith died in 2004 of heart disease.  He was charged with sexual misconduct but was never convicted.  There were civil cases settled out of court, however.  Thus, what besmirched his reputation may or may not have been true.  Like Paula Deen, he was a frequent "whipping boy" of the New York food establishment which considered him a rube and his approach illegitimate.  I too, liked his show and have one of his cookbooks. 

Hub

Thank you for the reminder, Hub.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 05:13:41 PM »
Hey Don, that looks a lot like my grandmother's gravy except that she never used carrots or celery and I don't think she used stock.  I had thought about posting my version of it but never got around to it.  Those are definitely good looking meatballs for store-bought.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC