Author Topic: Next Step - SV Chicken Alfredo for Dinner  (Read 3323 times)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Next Step - SV Chicken Alfredo for Dinner
« Reply #-1 on: January 26, 2015, 06:54:17 PM »
Ok - moving from the egg to the bird... well boneless, skinless breast anyway.... Been busy with work, kids, stuff...  ;) ;D

Made some pasta and hung to dry. ANOVA bringing the spa to temp. Breasts seasoned - S&P, lemon, basil and thyme. Then in the bags (my sealer is on the fritz, so using Zip-Locs with the water displacement method. Seems to work fine.)

Into the bath at 65*C for about 2 hours (depending on when everyone gets home.) Then some homemade Alfredo and garlic bread... simple...

Will add more later.

[attachments deleted after 6 months]
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Next Step - SV Chicken Alfredo for Dinner
« on: January 26, 2015, 07:06:08 PM »
Going to be a great dinner I suspect.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 07:27:08 PM »
Lemme know about the 2 hours...
Mine needed 3 hours for the texture everyone talks about.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline RAD

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 08:51:56 PM »
Looking good.
Love to cook and eat

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 08:56:16 PM »
Jack, actually it went 2 and 3/4 hours - between gymnastics and driver's ed... well things got a bit delayed. I am seeing this as a huge bonus for the SV system!

So I boiled the pasta, baked the bread, sautéed a mix of mushrooms, and made the Alfredo sauce (very simple - but use FRESHLY ground cheese.) Put it all together and dinner is ready! I do have to say that was some of the juiciest chicken I have ever had. Even my wife commented on it (that is a big thing...  ;) ;D)

Pics attached....

[attachments deleted after 6 months]
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 09:13:35 PM »
Oh yeah. That looks killer. You steal my pan?
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 09:16:59 PM »
Lessons learned:
  • Never dump your pasta water - I needed three ladles to get the sauce and noodles loose enough.
  • Always, always, always grate your parmesan from a fresh block for the sauce - otherwise it will be gritty & stringy.
  • Add some acid at the end - I like lemon juice - keeps things brighter and looser.
Member #

Offline hikerman

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 09:18:58 PM »
Looks very tasty David! Good cook!  One of the best points about sv cooking is how forgiving it is with delays.

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 09:19:20 PM »

My De Buyers are my favorite go to pans - heavy, but killer to cook with!
I have been practicing with a crepes pan - not perfect yet, but I am getting there.
Member #

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 09:19:36 PM »
Looks great David!

One of the benefits I have experienced - perhaps the best benefit of SV cooking - is that it is difficult to overcook meats. We are cooking  with SV at the target or finished temperature for longer periods of time than other more traditional methods.Once the meat reaches that degree of doneness at that temp, the SV tends to hold the meat - rather than continue to cook it to a greater degree of doneness.
 So, if your target is 3 hours, 4 or even 5 hours will probably not change the outcome. If you left it an additional several hours - then - yes, you would find the meat texture would change - even though the color would remain the same. And - instead of it getting tough and dry as if you had over cooked it an an ambient/non-vaccumed environment, the result would be that the muscle fiber had lost some of its connective strength to adjacent fibers, and the meat would seem "mealy". Not mushy as if it had been chemical broken down  ( like pineapple juice/papain can do )
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 09:34:34 PM »

My De Buyers are my favorite go to pans - heavy, but killer to cook with!
I have been practicing with a crepes pan - not perfect yet, but I am getting there.

They really are. Made my daughter a grilled cheese tonight. The bottom is slicker than my job stick pans
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 10:09:05 PM »
Great David!

Now your getting your feet wet in the tub

Looks good!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 06:22:41 PM »
Jack, actually it went 2 and 3/4 hours - between gymnastics and driver's ed... well things got a bit delayed. I am seeing this as a huge bonus for the SV system!

So I boiled the pasta, baked the bread, sautéed a mix of mushrooms, and made the Alfredo sauce (very simple - but use FRESHLY ground cheese.) Put it all together and dinner is ready! I do have to say that was some of the juiciest chicken I have ever had. Even my wife commented on it (that is a big thing...  ;) ;D)

Pics attached....

Besides the quality of the food that SV produces that is another advantage to it, no need to babysit it and if you're late it won't hurt.  Wait until you use it to reheat previously cooked meals, that's another plus you'll be happy with.  I like to reheat my cooked to rare beef to its original rare cooked temperature.  Also when I do a batch of PBC chickens I vacuum seal all but the one we are eating, when it comes time to have another I reheat it in the SV @145F and it's just as tender and juicy as ever.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 06:47:22 PM »

Pics attached....

Besides the quality of the food that SV produces that is another advantage to it, no need to babysit it and if you're late it won't hurt.  Wait until you use it to reheat previously cooked meals, that's another plus you'll be happy with.  I like to reheat my cooked to rare beef to its original rare cooked temperature.  Also when I do a batch of PBC chickens I vacuum seal all but the one we are eating, when it comes time to have another I reheat it in the SV @145F and it's just as tender and juicy as ever.

Remember the old "boil in bag" dinners? Just kidding - sort of...

Member #

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2015, 07:02:33 PM »

Pics attached....

Remember the old "boil in bag" dinners? Just kidding - sort of...

Yes I do and I'm glad that was a short lived era in my life.  :P
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)