Author Topic: I thought this would be a good item for sous vide owners  (Read 2175 times)

Offline jjjonz

I thought this would be a good item for sous vide owners
« Reply #-1 on: February 16, 2015, 11:29:05 AM »
I don't own a sous vide machine yet, but I seen this on HSN the other day and thought perfect for sous vide owners. Reusable bags would be great. I thought it might be a little pricey though.

see what you think...

$58.95....unit + 12 gallon and 12 quart bags....
http://www.amazon.com/Waring-PVS1000-Pistol-Professional-Vacuum/dp/B008LW73UY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424104498&sr=8-1&keywords=waring+pro+1000+hand+held+vacuum

« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 11:44:32 AM by jjjonz »
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
Re: I thought this would be a good item for sous vide owners
« on: February 16, 2015, 11:53:16 AM »
I've used another brand type like that one and it's useless, it doesn't seal as well as a FoodSaver and the bags don't hold the vacuum seal very long.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 12:02:41 PM »
I am wondering how important the actual "vacuum" is. My Food Saver bit the dust shortly before the Anova arrived. I have been using ZipLock freezer bags and the water displacement method so far. I realize the bags are much more expensive, but before buying a new sealer, just curious about the need for a true vacuum.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 12:05:15 PM »
I am wondering how important the actual "vacuum" is. My Food Saver bit the dust shortly before the Anova arrived. I have been using ZipLock freezer bags and the water displacement method so far. I realize the bags are much more expensive, but before buying a new sealer, just curious about the need for a true vacuum.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
David..ask Tee..he got one of them real cheap vacuum thingi's and tried it at the last gathering. If I remember right,,he liked it. I think it was make by Ziploc.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ. 
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 01:33:11 PM »
I am wondering how important the actual "vacuum" is.  ...just curious about the need for a true vacuum.

Any thoughts?

I think we need a fairly good vacuum for conductive heat transfer, David.  There's an insulating layer of air between the cooked item and the water if we don't have a vacuum.  Water will transfer heat to the bag and then to the cooked item better than air.

Put your hand in a 130° oven and it'll feel pretty warm but tolerable for a moment.  Put your hand into 130° water and you'll pull it out reflexively.

That's what I think.  I don't have data.  (When I was a Product Manager a VP said to me, "If you don't have data you're just another guy with an opinion.")
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline Pappymn

I thought this would be a good item for sous vide owners
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 01:37:16 PM »
Well Sous vide translates to "under vacuum" so I think it must be important.  But I went to public school so I can't tell you why???
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 09:51:56 PM »
The year before ( or maybe 2) foodsaver had a sale on these:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/FoodSaver-FreshSaver-Handheld-Vacuum-System/15777783

At the time they were selling them for about $4 or something that low( I bought 5 and gave them to my kids and other relatives). It works good with the ziplock resealable bags.
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 10:59:03 PM »

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
David..ask Tee..he got one of them real cheap vacuum thingi's and tried it at the last gathering. If I remember right,,he liked it. I think it was make by Ziploc.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

The one I picked up at a grocery store in Augusta GA - was a manual type. It worked o.k. but did not put a really good vacuum. Fine of a back up or emergency use.

I am surprised at the availability of parts for the "traditional style" Food Savers  such as this design  http://www.foodsaver.com/vacuum-sealers/foodsaver-fsfssl2461-026-manual-vacuum-sealer/FSFSSL2461-026.html#start=37&sz=12

It is one their oldest design - yet they still make it. because it works so well - and for so long. ( I just replaced the gaskets in mine, and it is 15 years old. Literally.)
You can find them used at garage sales, and Craigslist for 20-30 bucks...Just a thought.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401