Author Topic: SV corned beef  (Read 2857 times)

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
SV corned beef
« Reply #-1 on: March 13, 2015, 12:20:16 AM »
Just a quick unicorn story as I didnt see much here for SV corned beef.Super simple,no preps at all.

I took a frozen 2.5 lb corned beef in the butchers pre seasoned cryo package and just stuck it in the hot tub for 48 hours at 134F.From Stater Bros,2.99/lb.

Got a perfectly tender,easily sliced CB just with that simple cook.Color and texture are superb.It eats tender yet the meat doesnt fall apart like a boiled or pressure cooked CB.Cant deli slice,but darn close.

This will make crazy good pastrami or Ruben sandwiches.As always,SV never ceases to amaze,especially with the tough cuts,its as good a CB as Ive ever had,cooked wise.....
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 01:04:21 AM by spuds »
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline spuds

Re: SV corned beef
« on: March 13, 2015, 12:58:29 AM »
Here,needs pics,this I just dropped in water after peeling off label

Never made one I could slice this thin,a little salty,I would probably season a bit less if I spiced it

Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 05:48:03 AM »
Looks excellent to me..love CB sammiches, hubby doesn't like it, go figure..I think he was adopted somewhere, long time ago.
I took a frozen 2.5 lb corned beef in the butchers pre seasoned cryo package and just stuck it in the hot tub for 48 hours at 134F. Gonna do it..thanks for the recipe and timing.  Pam .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 07:25:05 AM »
Spuds you can soak it in water for a few hours to remove some of the saltiness then re-bag and SV.

Looks great!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 08:31:40 AM »
Good looking CB.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline cookiecdcmk

• Always looking for new ways to improve my food.
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 07:28:05 PM »
I saw this post about corned beef and sous vide, and I thought of a method to make pastrami.  Hub's EZ pastrami is a winner and makes a good recipe.  But I am always trying some new things so wanted to know what everyone would think about:

1. soaking the corned beef in water to minimize the salt taste
2. smoking the meat after being rubbed for Hub's time
then finishing off the meat in a sous vide bath for time of ?? at around 132 degrees

This would be similar to Hub's method but using sous vide instead of using the oven at 250 for 5 hours.  I have also heard of others steaming at the end, but it would seem that sous vide would accomplish the same thing holding in all the flavor?

Offline spuds

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 12:09:48 PM »
Soaking first and repackaging would probably be better,then again,while salty....if you like salty its good.

Here's what I did to serve.Sliced,into a warm water bath about 15 minutes to heat and soak a bit of salt out.
Sour dough toast,homemade mustard from here,a little horseradish cream spread,swiss cheese,and a homemade pickle sliced.

Now we are talking GOOD!Mellowed the salt (and remember,yours and mine may be different in how prepared at butchers) And fast and easy,gotta love it.SV on the pastrami I bet is excellent meld of old and new,Hubs I think would be prime,I'm going to do that at some point,I have other brining bacon projects going,and more SV corned beef to do,bought 6,going back for 6 more this is sooooo good.Ya'll are going to be blown away by the texture SV gives this meat.Firm,yet tender as all get out.Not stringy.

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 12:17:02 PM »
I finally found a CB point that I intend to take for a swim in the SV pool.  I will soak mine to reduce the salt before I vacuum seal it.  Seeing yours has made me hungry for CB.  I'll post my results later.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 03:39:28 PM »
Looks excellent Spuds! Will have to try this SV too.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 04:19:39 PM »
Me too, gonna sv likeyou said and taste, if too salty will do the soak in hot water trick. It's on now.  Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline spuds

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 12:36:09 AM »
Hope ya'lls is as good as mine was,going to feel like a snook if they arent.

Offline spuds

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 11:06:15 AM »
Went to store and picked up 7 more on last day of sale.I figure it wont be any cheaper getting rid of overstock,as it didnt look like there would be any overstock.They were defrosted ones,points.I see I paid 1.99 last year,2.99 this year.

Offline spuds

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2015, 10:22:36 PM »
Todays batch.45 minute soak in water in refrigerator after cook.Did slices,the plate..... 9 o'clock is thin like Carl Budding (10 on gauge),the 3 o'clock are 15 on the gauge.12 and 6 are the end cuts at 20 on gauge.

Nice way to get a corned beef that slices,had sandwiches for dinner.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 10:30:44 PM by spuds »