Author Topic: Shrimp, Andouille over Cheesy Grits  (Read 2161 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Shrimp, Andouille over Cheesy Grits
« Reply #-1 on: March 24, 2015, 01:02:17 AM »
Mar 23 2015

I have loved grits and shrimp for a long time; but it was only about 10 years ago I first had Shrimp and Grits. Our kids were living in S.C. just south of Charleston N.C.  They took us to a place called the Flying Biscuit and said you have to try their Shrimp and Cheesy Grits. I did and wished I had known of this dish ages ago!

I have made this a lot of different ways since then; with water, milk, or chicken broth to cook the grits in and with cheese and without, with just shrimp and with shrimp and sausage, it’s all good! I had some Aidelles andouille sausage and a 10 oz. bag of wild caught gulf shrimp and my peasant bread would be good with it.

I followed a recipe I will give a link too but I changed it some. I did a ½ cup of stone ground grits that were half yellow and half white and cooked in chicken broth. It took about a half hour to get cooked down and thick. I added the ¼ cup of cream cheese and about a cup of shredded sharp cheddar. I placed a lid on the pan and in a 200 deg. oven to hold while I cooked the shrimp and sausage.

My wife did not want the sausage so I just sliced up one link to brown for mine. I browned the sausage in a skillet a couple minutes on each side and sautéed the shrimp with Cajun seasoning in a little butter and olive oil for about 5 minutes. I had heated some BBQ sauce for in mine too.

You will note I didn’t spend much time on the presentation of my wife’s bowl! For mine I ladled in some of the grits, a couple Tbs. of the BBQ sauce, topped with the sausage and the shrimp.

That was a good supper, I think I prefer my grits a little less cheesy but the wife thought they were great!  The BBQ sauce was lemony with some heat. We had a salad on the side & bread and butter.

Shrimp

Andouille

Grits

Wife's bowl

My bowl

My supper

Smokin Don

Link to recipe http://honestcooking.com/andouille-sausage-jerk-shrimp-grits/
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Shrimp, Andouille over Cheesy Grits
« on: March 24, 2015, 03:12:19 AM »
Now that's what I'm looking for right there.  Excellent!
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Wing Commander

• Visit my BBQ-Blog!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 03:20:45 AM »
That looks awesome, Don!

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 07:55:07 AM »
I'm sitting here hungry, and really wish I hadn't looked at this, because now I'm ravenous!

Don, you need to plan to cook something like this, or maybe one of your S.C. Bogs while you're at the Ohio gathering. It will be a hit! I'll even make and bring some Andouille.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 08:00:32 AM »
Oh my! That is just everything good you can have on one plate, and a good beer too!
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 08:01:53 AM »
Oh my! That is just everything good you can have on one plate, and a good beer too!

X 2!!

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 08:20:20 AM »
That looks amazingly good Don!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 08:57:05 AM »
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline hikerman

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 11:28:49 AM »
Oh this got me so hungry!  Very nice Don!
I love shrimp and grits,  have for many many years. Before Mrs Hikerman and I got hooked up, I had her over for dinner one evening. You know, trying to impress her with a great meal. It was one of our first dates. Well I got ahold of a bad recipe or at least a recipe with a typo error! Everything was going great until I came to adding cayenne. Recipe called for 4 tsp of cayenne, (looking back prob meant 1/4 tsp) I thought it was a lot but recipe was from a good source, so in went 4 tsp cayenne.  When we started eating it appeared she didn't like the meal. When asked she said it was good but she was not hungry, about this time the back of my head blew off from the heat! Lol  We ended up just drinking wine. Whenever I make this dish there STILL is skeptisism! ::)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 12:39:40 PM »
I love shrimp and grits,  have for many many years. Before Mrs Hikerman and I got hooked up, I had her over for dinner one evening. You know, trying to impress her with a great meal. It was one of our first dates. Well I got ahold of a bad recipe or at least a recipe with a typo error! Everything was going great until I came to adding cayenne. Recipe called for 4 tsp of cayenne, (looking back prob meant 1/4 tsp) I thought it was a lot but recipe was from a good source, so in went 4 tsp cayenne.  When we started eating it appeared she didn't like the meal. When asked she said it was good but she was not hungry, about this time the back of my head blew off from the heat! Lol  We ended up just drinking wine. Whenever I make this dish there STILL is skeptisism! ::)

But still wine????;) ;D ;D ;D
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 12:57:31 PM »
Now that looks fittin....I love shrimp and cheese grits...looks like you laid the cheese on,but bet it was still good.
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline hikerman

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 01:13:51 PM »

But still wine????;) ;D ;D ;D

Yeah just in case! That was hot and still in distinct memory!

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 01:32:55 PM »
Don, that looks incredible!!    I now have an Alaskan-sized hankering for grits!!!
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline Pappymn

Shrimp, Andouille over Cheesy Grits
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 05:21:33 PM »
Looks really good!
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 07:57:49 PM »
This really with scallops also. I like the small bay scallops instead of the Big sea scallops

Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware