Author Topic: Cheesy Corn Casserole  (Read 2032 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Cheesy Corn Casserole
« Reply #-1 on: March 28, 2015, 05:51:30 PM »
Mar 27 2015

I had seen this recipe before and wanted to try it. It is from the Smokestack restaurant in Kansas City and I believe it is now called Jack Stacks BBQ.

I had some leftover braised beef and had some baby Dutch potatoes that would make good mashed potatoes. The corn recipe would be good with this.

I made a loaf of my Bread in 5 peasant bread after lunch to give to our daughter-in-law.

I heated up the beef and made mashed potatoes. I did a half recipe of the corn and used 10 oz. of frozen extra sweet yellow corn and a 10 oz. can of white shoe peg. The recipe called for paprika to be mixed in but I used smoked paprika and sprinkled on top. I didn’t get many pics but the corn dish is pretty easy to do, like just frying the bacon, making a white sauce and adding the ingredients then baking at 370 deg. about 40 minutes.

I did my corn at 360 deg. for 45 minutes. My wife, dil, and me all loved the corn; it had great flavor. My dish was getting brown around the edges but to me it was a little runny. Next time I may try adding cracker crumbs to the dish. On the side I had some of my peasant bread with butter and garlic salt toasted under the broiler.

I want to try this dish with some fresh corn cut from the cob and it would go great with some ribs!

My bread

Corn ready to bake

My Supper

Smokin Don

Recipe

Smokestacks cheesy corn casserole

SERVES 12
INGREDIENTS                                                                  ½ Recipe
4 slices bacon, finely chopped                                              2 slices
6 tbsp. unsalted butter, cubed                                              3 Tbs.
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped                                              2 cloves
½ cup flour                                                                         1/4 cup
3 cups milk                                                                         1 ½ cups
4 oz. cream cheese, cubed                                                   2 oz.
2 oz. Velveeta, cubed                                                           1 oz.
2 cups grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese                             1 cup
1 tsp. paprika                                                                      ½ tsp
3 lb. fresh or frozen corn kernels                                          1 ½ lbs.
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

INSTRUCTIONS
Heat oven to 375°. Heat bacon in a 6-qt. saucepan over medium heat, and cook, stirring, until browned, about 8 minutes. Add butter and garlic, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add flour, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Whisk in milk, and bring to a boil; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Add cream cheese, Velveeta, cheddar, and paprika, and cook until smooth. Remove from heat and stir in corn; season with salt and pepper. Transfer mixture to a 9″ × 13″ baking dish and bake until top is golden brown and bubbling, about 40 minutes. Let cool before serving.
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
Re: Cheesy Corn Casserole
« on: March 28, 2015, 06:08:28 PM »
Don..looks good to me..love corn any way..you can also add some cornmeal to tighten it up a lil bit too.  just sayin.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline hikerman

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 06:43:48 PM »
Oh that looks awfully good Don!  Plate me. ...please!  :P

Offline Pappymn

Cheesy Corn Casserole
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 07:06:16 PM »
Nice lookin vittles
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 07:42:02 PM »
Man that looks really good, Don.  Book marked!

P.S.  Speaking of corn recipes...  earlier today I looked up the Corn Bake/Pudding you posted last year that we made a variation of.  It was so good, I plan to do it again for Easter Dinner again this year.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 07:57:11 PM »
I look at whatever you make and instantly want a plate.  Thinking I need to come for a visit one of these days.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 05:05:17 AM »
As always SD a very good looking plate ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 08:25:03 AM »
I like everything about that plate.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 09:27:45 AM »
Absolutely delicious looking plate of food Don! Bookmarked!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 11:15:43 AM »
What a wonderful looking plate. The corn sounds delicious and your bread looks fantastic!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 11:54:09 AM »
Very nice Don!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven