Author Topic: Sous Vide Flat Iron Steaks with Cheesy Bacon Bombs  (Read 3251 times)

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
Sous Vide Flat Iron Steaks with Cheesy Bacon Bombs
« Reply #-1 on: April 24, 2015, 06:57:05 PM »
2 Flat Iron steaks, one seasoned with BPS Double Secret Steak and one was seasoned with
Tone's Tuscan Garlic.  In the bath at 128 degrees for 8 hours.  Seared for 2 minutes per side
on the SRG.  I had seen the that Smokeasaurus posted about the Cheesy Bacon
Bombs the other day and had the ingredients on hand.  They were deep fried until golden
brown. 

My plate! No need for any other sides tonight!  ;)

Flat Iron was delicious! I had part of the Tuscan Garlic and I highly recommend it. I saw it at Sam's
Club the other day and decided to try it out. Sure glad I did! The Cheesy Bacon Bombs were awesome.
I am sure glad that I have a full supply of my cholesterol medicine on hand!  8) :P
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Sous Vide Flat Iron Steaks with Cheesy Bacon Bombs
« on: April 24, 2015, 07:05:01 PM »
Everything after flat iron was icing!
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 11:36:46 PM »
Looks great Mike!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 02:39:25 AM »
Mike, that looks so delicious. I want to try the cheesy bacon bombs.

Offline Chief Mac

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 11:39:17 AM »
HOS
First let me say that is one good looking plate!  :P
2ND: I just finished reading an article on Sous Vide or I should say mock Sous Vide steak cooking. The author, J. Kenji Lopez-Alt explains how to use a beer cooler as a Sous Vide. (http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/06/video-how-to-cook-your-steak-sous-vide-in-a-cooler.html) So, I read the article and watched the video and it had me scratching my head how a steak can be cooked at 135 -140 deg. in 45 minutes. I can remember reading on the this forum how people cook food in the Sous for many hours and even days. So, I came back to this web site and I find your post. I see you have cooked your steaks  for 8 hours at 128 degrees.
 So, my question would be if you or anyone else might have the time to explain the time differences.
Should I assume that long cooking or soak times are due to defrosting and cooking all at the same time at predetermined time and temperatures. Is 128 degrees to get the steaks close to 130 or 140 degrees for eating,  but not exceeding your preferred eating temp (doneness) after you finish browning the steaks?   :-\ :o ::)
Chief Mac
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 02:23:59 PM by Chief Mac »
Weber Genesis E-320
Charbroil - CB600X Gas Smoker
Landmann Smoky Mountain Electric Smoker
PBC
14" Kingsford Charcoal Take Anywhere Grill
A Maz N Tube Smoker 6" & 12"
GrillGrates
Anova--Sous Vide Device

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 02:09:20 PM »
Chief Sous Vide cooking goes against the normal thinking of how we cook.

And to answer your question a steak can be done in Sous Vide in 45 minutes. It can also stay in there for 8 hours and not be over cooked because it will never reach a temperature above the water bath temp. The idea behind Sous Vide is to cook at the serving temperature of the meat or the desired doneness. You can cook at lower temps for longer periods safely because the meat is in a vacuum sealed bag that is making direct thermal contact with liquid. The thermal transfer rate is huge in liquid compared to air.

A simple example of this. Imagine putting your hand in a 210 degree oven. You could probably hold it in there for 15 seconds and no major burns to your hand. Now stick your hand into 210F water. How long could you hold it in there before your skin starts to burn? This is an example of how much quicker thermal transfer is in water than air.

It will however change the texture of the meat over long periods. It will really breakdown the meat until it becomes mushy or mealy.

Thicker, larger cuts take longer to breakdown. All cooking times and temps are based on the type of protein, thickness/weight, and how much you want it done.

And Mike can answer this with his reason but going at a slightly lower target temp allows you to finish sear the steak and not go over your target finished temp or doneness you wanted.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 03:06:12 PM »
Hi Chief Mac
I am also confused with the article .
here are my Thoughts .
1.if i take a 1/2 inch stake straight from the fridge it will take 42 minutes to get 128 f for a rare stake but it does not takes into consideration the listeria bacteria and the salmonella .
this is on the health side . safety zone is 2 :30 hours .
2. If you use this method of 45 minutes you need to use a good prime cut . if you use a long Cooking you can use a lower grade as the long cooking  will break the connective tissue brakes down . collagen begins to dissolve to gelatin.
 the time of will not change the readiness of the meat only the tenderness .
This is my view only .
hope it helped .
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 04:13:02 PM »
This is a great meal looks really yummy .
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 04:59:05 PM »
Chief Sous Vide cooking goes against the normal thinking of how we cook.

And to answer your question a steak can be done in Sous Vide in 45 minutes. It can also stay in there for 8 hours and not be over cooked because it will never reach a temperature above the water bath temp. The idea behind Sous Vide is to cook at the serving temperature of the meat or the desired doneness. You can cook at lower temps for longer periods safely because the meat is in a vacuum sealed bag that is making direct thermal contact with liquid. The thermal transfer rate is huge in liquid compared to air.

A simple example of this. Imagine putting your hand in a 210 degree oven. You could probably hold it in there for 15 seconds and no major burns to your hand. Now stick your hand into 210F water. How long could you hold it in there before your skin starts to burn? This is an example of how much quicker thermal transfer is in water than air.

It will however change the texture of the meat over long periods. It will really breakdown the meat until it becomes mushy or mealy.

Thicker, larger cuts take longer to breakdown. All cooking times and temps are based on the type of protein, thickness/weight, and how much you want it done.

And Mike can answer this with his reason but going at a slightly lower target temp allows you to finish sear the steak and not go over your target finished temp or doneness you wanted.

Chief, Muebe is correct. It took me awhile to get it through my head but the meat is safe. I normally will do steaks at a lower temperature like 128 as I tend to over sear.  This way I have
some leeway to work with. These were just a tad bit rarer then I like, but my wife likes them this way so I cook them this way!  ;)
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 06:52:41 PM »
An incredible looking meal.  I have got to try some of those Cheesy Bacon Bombs.  I may just do some this evening.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 07:11:44 PM »
Great looking meal - you are right - why spoil it with other sides - this is just right!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2015, 07:52:17 PM »
An incredible looking meal.  I have got to try some of those Cheesy Bacon Bombs.  I may just do some this evening.
Nailed that one Mike!Another perfect cook.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.