Author Topic: Seasonings  (Read 6760 times)

Offline dane2992

Seasonings
« Reply #-1 on: May 15, 2015, 10:02:24 PM »
I don't know if there is a list of favorite seasonings. If a thread already exists please point me in the right direction. Just wanting to know some great seasonings everyone uses. Still figuring the forum out but glad to see people not getting bashed like another forum I'm on.8)

Offline GusRobin

• Test
Re: Seasonings
« on: May 15, 2015, 11:14:48 PM »
Welcome. We try to avoid bashing and if we start, someone quickly calms the situation.
I like "Gunpowder" for beef and "Jan's Rub" (developed by a member and his wife, I think it is posted somewhere here) for poultry.
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 11:17:32 PM »
We dont really have a list anywhere, but we sure have our favorites. There is no bashing round here. This is a friendly family forum. :) I am the resident rub-pusher round these parts and I could list a bunch but some of my favorites are:

Sweet Lou's Roast Rub

Savor Spices Fine Swine and Bovine

Tabbs Pig Powder

Three Little Pigs KC style Touch of Cherry
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 11:18:19 PM »
Savor spices are some of my favorites. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 11:59:56 PM »
One of my favorites is the John Henry's line. His pecan rub is fantastic.

Savor spices has a great line of rubs and spices. Fine swine, and bovine is great. And the bacon rub makes some awesome candied bacon.

And Big Poppas Smokers has excellent rubs and seasonings. Their bacon jalapeño rub is one if my favorites. Double secret steak rub is awesome. And the jalapeño seasoned salt is great too.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline dane2992

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 12:18:23 AM »
Thanks for all the favs. Will do some shopping tomorrow and hope to have the seasonings I choose before next weekend when I'll do the first cook on my Traeger junior elite

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 02:10:26 AM »
Fine Swine & Bovine is a go to seasoning / rub for me. My daughter loves Mo Rockin' Chicken. For beefier stuff, I really like Way out West (WOW) and M-3 all from Savor Spices.  I used to have a cabinet full of different spices and rubs - but SWMBO decided it was time to clean things out...  ??? ??? ??? So I now have a more limited spice cabinet. I do still sneak a spice or two under the door...  ::) 8)
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 09:10:07 AM »
Super Pig.... will always be in the cabinet
Gunpowder...  Wonderful for beef
M-3 ... works wonders for beef and venison
Fine Swine and Bovine...  So good it even make goat taste great
WOW... Try it as an injection for yardbird and turkey

Just a short list of mine,

ONE MORE Great one.... Jan's rub
•1 cup + 4 tbsp sugar
•1/4 cup Lawry’s seasoned salt
•1/4 cup garlic salt
•1/4 cup + 1 1/2 tsp celery salt
•1/4 cup onion salt
•1/2 cup paprika
•3 Tbsp chili powder
•2 Tbsp black pepper
•1 Tbsp lemon pepper
•2 tsp celery seed
•2 tsp dry ground sage
•1 tsp dry mustard
•1/2 tsp dry ground thyme
•1/2 tsp cayenne
Directions: 1.Place all ingredients in a large bowl and mix until well blended. Store in a cool area away from light in air tight jar or sealable plastic bag.

Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 12:10:19 PM »
Thanks for all the favs. Will do some shopping tomorrow and hope to have the seasonings I choose before next weekend when I'll do the first cook on my Traeger junior elite

Traeger has a bunch of their rubs. Unfortunately they are too salty.......with the exception of two: Beef Shake (citrusy and garlic) and Beef Rub (coarse cut salt-pepper-garlic) those are really nice to have around.

Bob Tallman's Ranch Rubs and Gary's Seasonings are worth trying as well................
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Pappymn

Seasonings
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2015, 05:26:37 PM »

Traeger has a bunch of their rubs. Unfortunately they are too salty.......with the exception of two: Beef Shake (citrusy and garlic) and Beef Rub (coarse cut salt-pepper-garlic) those are really nice to have around.

Bob Tallman's Ranch Rubs and Gary's Seasonings are worth trying as well................

Isn't rule number five of LTBBQ to not ask The Smoke about rubs. Like shooting fish in a barrel.

John Henry and the love that Tee makes are my favorites. And as usual unavailable in Minnesota. :(
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2015, 05:36:04 PM »

Isn't rule number five of LTBBQ to not ask The Smoke about rubs. Like shooting fish in a barrel.

John Henry and the love that Tee makes are my favorites. And as usual unavailable in Minnesota. :(

#5???    What are the first 4??   :D :D :D :D
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2015, 06:16:08 PM »

Haven't you been doing your homework, Smoke?

Pappy, I can find some of the John Henry rubs in the Cub Foods in BP - Savor I order from T2.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Pappymn

Seasonings
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2015, 07:17:24 PM »

Haven't you been doing your homework, Smoke?

Pappy, I can find some of the John Henry rubs in the Cub Foods in BP - Savor I order from T2.

Thanks. I will check my cub
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline dane2992

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2015, 10:43:41 PM »
So I ordered a few seasonings today: savor spices
Fine swine and bovine, mo rockin chicken, super pig and  three little pigs kc sweet BBQ rub. I think these will be a good start for me. Thanks everyone

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2015, 11:57:31 AM »
So I ordered a few seasonings today: savor spices
Fine swine and bovine, mo rockin chicken, super pig and  three little pigs kc sweet BBQ rub. I think these will be a good start for me. Thanks everyone

You are off to a great start. When you are hankerin for a larger size of the Savor Spices (which you will  :P :P), just send teesquare a pm and he will get you hooked up  :) :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven