FORUM SPONSORS > Savannah Stoker Pellet Grill Control System

First cook

(1/2) > >>

PAR-TEE:
Hi I'm going to try my first cook tomorrow with the ssv3 and I'm looking for any advice, tips, tricks anyone has that might make it the best ribs I've ever made.

The menu is St. Louis cut ribs and beans in the cast iron dutch oven.

I think I'm going to set it at 225 with the fan on medium and just let the smoke roll for about 5 hrs but if there is another setting that may work better I'm open to trying something new.

Thanks
Happy Memorial Day.

Hub:
I think the best thing to do for the first cook with the SS is to just let it do its thing.  You have lots of control with it but it is pretty smart by itself.  Use this cook as a baseline and move in the direction you want it to go (if any different) later.

Hub

PAR-TEE:
Thanks Hub, I think that sounds like a good plan. I don't know why I just have a constant urge to tinker with stuff, but I suppose its best to have a solid baseline to work with.

Thanks
Have a good Memorial Day.

IR2dum:
PAR-TEE, hope your first cook with the ssv3 turns into a success. Please give us a quick review how it worked for you and your likes and dislikes. I have been thinking about getting that controller and your input will help me decide.

Hub, please give your thoughts on the ssv3 if you don't mind.

Anybody else have and use this controller, please chime in.

Hub:

--- Quote from: IR2dum on May 25, 2015, 07:19:37 PM ---

Hub, please give your thoughts on the ssv3 if you don't mind.

--- End quote ---

It is a bit early for me to say much about mine, but all directions are positive.  I had the old 225 "out of controller" prior to the SS and the difference is pretty dramatic.  I still get temp swings but they are small enough to be irrelevant.  The flexibility and range of control is likely way beyond my needs.  I use my NOS American Traeger Texas to cook ribs in competition in addition to home cooking and the SS is a big improvement.

One very minor problem was some minor contact with the fan on the auger motor.  This was solved by clipping the blades since the fan serves no useful function, anyway.

Disclaimer:  The inventor and maker of the controller is my cooking team partner, Billy Merrill.  He installed it for me since I'm currently having an arthritis problem in my hands, but installation is straightforward and I would otherwise install it myself.  The instructions that come with it are very clear and there's even a "quick start" section for the impatient.  This controller is a good value proposition and I'd say that anyway, even if it didn't have a connection to the manufacturer.  If you have a Traeger and don't have a Savannah Stoker, you need to get one.

Hub

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version