Author Topic: Spuds 2015 Garden  (Read 55387 times)

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
Spuds 2015 Garden
« Reply #-1 on: June 03, 2015, 04:39:34 PM »
On my genetic dwarf peach and nectarine,3 foot tall trees have 15 and 25 fruits setting,huge winners.Went to buy more but not out yet.Imagine if I had 10 of em,instead of three,serious full sized fruit production in tiny space,wow!!

Now a question.This is my elephant garlic...how far am I from harvesting,do I let the green die totally back?The tubing keeps Tina the chicken from scratching.

LOTS of grapes so far!

Swiss chard and rhubarb,another winner up here,can make jam this year!

The trees really growing well so far,trunks showing more girth growth too

Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Spuds 2015 Garden
« on: June 03, 2015, 06:30:57 PM »
Fantastic! They all look good. I have the same question re: the garlic.

Just got my second batch of tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers and carrots in... between some (should have expected cold nights) and rabbits - well, kinda starting over.

Looking forward to watching the progress of your plantation!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline spuds

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 07:54:36 PM »
Sounds good!  :)
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline hikerman

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 10:47:26 PM »
Hey Spuds! That's a sweet fruit crop on the horizon!
I have not grown elephant garlic but the strains we grow in Illinois are planted in the fall and harvested in mid to late Summer. You want the strands to dry but you want a few green ones still before you harvest. If the strands are all dry....it's too late.
Everything is looking great!

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 12:04:26 AM »
All your plants look great Spuds!!! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 06:58:32 AM »
Awesome looking garden Spuds!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline spuds

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 12:44:59 PM »
Hey Spuds! That's a sweet fruit crop on the horizon!
I have not grown elephant garlic but the strains we grow in Illinois are planted in the fall and harvested in mid to late Summer. You want the strands to dry but you want a few green ones still before you harvest. If the strands are all dry....it's too late.
Everything is looking great!
Thanks for the answer Gene! We tried like 3 years running and wouldnt grow in ground,last fall into pots and WOW,we have garlic.Going to greatly expand next year.

Ive been trying since about 2000 to get this mtn gardening to work,sure wish I had had a mentor but seems folks up here dont garden,a few apple trees,and the ubiquitous berries,thats it.Only other thing we see is tons of flower bulbs,man alive they do well here.

Thanks for looking and commenting,much appreciated.When/if  we get fruit production will post.

OH! I tried 2 pomegranates last year,low temp types,and both came thru with flying colors,So I trimmed them back to tree form.Man alive would it be nice to have a couple pomegranates,pom juice,yumm,and boy do they have beautiful red flowers too when in bloom,how nice is that? 8)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 12:59:55 PM by spuds »

Offline hikerman

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 01:08:52 PM »
Spuds, I don't know how this affects your aqua-culture,  but garlic likes to have a chilled period before growth. That explains why the Fall planting so the bulbs over-winter in soil, but you can plant in Spring. You just need to put your garlic cloves in refrigeration for a few weeks before planting. And a tip, the larger the cloves you plant the larger the heads will be at harvest.

Offline spuds

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 03:14:11 PM »
Spuds, I don't know how this affects your aqua-culture,  but garlic likes to have a chilled period before growth. That explains why the Fall planting so the bulbs over-winter in soil, but you can plant in Spring. You just need to put your garlic cloves in refrigeration for a few weeks before planting. And a tip, the larger the cloves you plant the larger the heads will be at harvest.
Thanks Gene for the pointers.They are planted in pots outdoors over winter,then pots transferred  into hoop house to get going in spring,then when weather stable back into yard.No aquaculture involved with them.I will be sure to use my best cloves,thanks.Going to plant a LOT next year.

Had some neighbors over yesterday that were hugely impressed by the genetic dwarfs,they have limited space too and are going to plant a bunch of them.Cool,now we have 2 people out spreading the word that these trees work well up here.

Offline hikerman

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 05:51:20 PM »
Thanks Gene for the pointers.They are planted in pots outdoors over winter,then pots transferred  into hoop house to get going in spring,then when weather stable back into yard.No aquaculture involved with them.I will be sure to use my best cloves,thanks.Going to plant a LOT next year.

Had some neighbors over yesterday that were hugely impressed by the genetic dwarfs,they have limited space too and are going to plant a bunch of them.Cool,now we have 2 people out spreading the word that these trees work well up here.

Good news for spreading fruit trees. You'll soon be known as Spudsie Peach Seed!  :D

Offline spuds

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 09:11:27 PM »
3 pints of rhubarb jam,waterbathed with Tattler reusable lids.Jury still out on lids,one band is already bad,so not sure just how good the system is?But they dont rust,thats a real advantage.Jam is prime,its a winner! Our first ever rhubarb jam.Going to be a lot more of that going forward.

Offline spuds

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 09:54:47 PM »
Picked up 5 more genetic dwarf trees,Necta-zee and Bonanza peach.They are beauties,55 dollars each,and transplanted well,from 30 gallon containers.Very good deal.Mrs repainted her birds and put on new legs,cool!I moved two rhubarb to in front of the Flamingos,they transplanted well enough,going to add more of them to that bed when i find some.

Offline spuds

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 07:48:22 PM »
From my Dave Wilson genetic dwarf peach tree planted last fall.First pick.Planted 8 more this year liked the three so well.

This tree is about 18 inches tall,made 6 fruits,rather small this year but will produce full size fruits.Mrs saw one that 'was loaded with fruit' in a yard.Wanted dogs for perspective but as usual,Snookie wont cooperate,but Girl is happy to oblige.

:)

Offline spuds

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2015, 07:58:31 PM »
Putting the yard to bed,these are some of the new genetic dwarf planted this year,they did fair,going to mulch em real good with chicken mulch when the go dormant

The rhubarb transplant bed did well,2 small ones missing,hope they show next season.More of the dwarf trees,peaches and nectarines

Citrus experiment not going well.Very healthy but they are only now blooming.May go back in pots and into greenhouse over winter next year?

Apples pears and plums no fruit,but trees grew and it was a very good rooting year

Really like the rockwork and steps Mrs put in,very hard work and looks real nice,she is going to expand on that

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2015, 10:45:28 PM »
I like your garden area.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66