Tips, Tricks & Just Good Advice! > Welcome to Outdoor Cooking!

Knife Sharpening

(1/4) > >>

deestafford:
One of the most important things we cookers have are our knives.  We have some folks here on the forum who are really experts in this area and have demonstrated their knowledge at a couple of the Gatherings.

Yesterday, I received the most recent issue of Cook's Illustrated, July & August 2015, and it has a great article on knife sharpening and knife sharpeners.  As many of you know, there are basically two degree angles of sharpening kitchen knives: the Western is 20* and the Asian is 15*.  The latter is thinner and sharper.  The majority of knives we buy have the 20* angle; however, some European manufacturers including Wusthof, Henckels, Messermeister and Mercer have launched their own 15-degree knives and sharpeners.  In fact, Wusthof and Henckels have discontinued their 20-degree knives.

From everything I read there is a tremendous difference in the sharpness of the two angles.

With this knowledge many people, including myself, want to convert our 20-degree knives to 15-degrees.  Cook's Illustrated tested nine models of knife sharpeners to evaluate.  After indepth testing, to include using MIT's high-powered laboratory microscope to see the edges in great detail, they rated various knife sharpeners.

The top manual and the top electric were both Chef's Choice:  The manual was Chef Choice's Pronto Manual Diamond Hone Asian Knife Sharpener ($49.95) and the electric was Chef's Choice Trizor XV Knife Sharpener ($149.95).  From what I read the electric is the way I want to go. There seems to be numerous advantages to the electric model if you have to  take a nick out of your knife and also converts easier from 20-degrees to 15-degrees.

I recommend going to your nearest news stand and getting this July-August issue of Cook's Illustrated if you are interested in making sure your knives are in the best shape possible.

I'm far from an expert, more of an intermediate novice, in this area.  We have some folks here who are true experts. So, take my comments from my level of knowledge and check things out for yourself.

Dee

drholly:
Great information, Dee. Most of my knives are Shun and they include free sharpening service. BUT, I have to pack them up and send them off for at least a couple weeks, plus there is the shipping cost both ways. If this sharpener can do the 15* angle, it sounds like a great investment.

Thanks!

smokeasaurus:
I am so ghetto when it comes to sharpening knives...........I just sharpen em on the bottom of a coffee mug.....it has the unglazed ring and my knives can cut the mustard so to speak.........................

Pappymn:
The most dangerous tool in the kitchen is a dull knife or The Smoke sharpening knives on a coffee mug.

I have all 20 degree knives I think. This interests me. Thanks for posting.

CDN Smoker:
I have the Henckels, they an older set. How do I confirm the correct sharpening angle?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version