Author Topic: Sous Vide Chops and Cob  (Read 3146 times)

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
Sous Vide Chops and Cob
« Reply #-1 on: June 17, 2015, 08:53:36 PM »
I took advantage of the Amazon deal of the day and got the new model Anova for $119.00.  I didn’t really think
I would be needing 2 Sous Vide controllers after I sold my Dorkfood one to another member. BUT, I like to do
veggies Sous Vide and if I am cooking something else at a lower temp than that ran into a problem.  Here I am
testing it out with some Pork Chops seasoned with Top Secret #2 and the temperature was set for138 degrees
for 4 hours.

Here is some corn in the cob at 182 degrees for 1 hour in the Sous Vide Demi.  Corn was seasoned with Penzeys
Sandwich Sprinkle and I added 1 tablespoon of butter per ear to the bag.

Here is my plate with some yellow rice.

Dinner was excellent! I am going to really like this Anova. Not only is it accurate on temps, it is portable and I can
use it with just about any pot with the adjustable clamp.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline hikerman

Re: Sous Vide Chops and Cob
« on: June 17, 2015, 08:59:36 PM »
Looks very nice Mike! I have yet to make corn via sv. It sure looks like I have to get going on that pronto!

Offline Chief Mac

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 09:45:37 PM »
Looks like a very fine plate there, I could enjoy that. I also got into a $119 offer this past week and thanks to my wife I should be receiving my Inova  tomarrow or Friday.
I am curious about the capabilities of the Inova. If I pull an item like left over brisket or even uncooked meat out of the freezer can you just toss it in the water and begin defrosting then adjust the temp to start cooking? Or, just leave it at 1 set temperature and extend the soaking time? Do you open the bag during the process to insure the item is defrosted and in fact starting to cook? I have read quite a few post here about cooking times but do not recall defrosting and cooking during the same cycle or cooking session?   ???
CM
Weber Genesis E-320
Charbroil - CB600X Gas Smoker
Landmann Smoky Mountain Electric Smoker
PBC
14" Kingsford Charcoal Take Anywhere Grill
A Maz N Tube Smoker 6" & 12"
GrillGrates
Anova--Sous Vide Device

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 09:48:36 PM »
Looks like a very fine plate there, I could enjoy that. I also got into a $119 offer this past week and thanks to my wife I should be receiving my Inova  tomarrow or Friday.
I am curious about the capabilities of the Inova. If I pull an item like left over brisket or even uncooked meat out of the freezer can you just toss it in the water and begin defrosting then adjust the temp to start cooking? Or, just leave it at 1 set temperature and extend the soaking time? Do you open the bag during the process to insure the item is defrosted and in fact starting to cook? I have read quite a few post here about cooking times but do not recall defrosting and cooking during the same cycle or cooking session?   ???
CM

What I do with frozen items is put them in the bath as the water is heating.  I will usually allow an extra hour in the tub. Never needed to open the bag to check if defrosted.
I use it also when I want to reheat some frozen pulled pork, etc. Just put it in while heating and allow some extra time.  Hope this helps.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 10:03:47 PM »
I love my Anova. Like HOS, I usually put the bag in while the water (hot from my tap) heats. I allow about 30 minutes to an hour extra time (depending on the thickness of the food.) One nice thing is chances are you won't "over cook" it... I also have never felt the need to open the bag while cooking. I think one of the best things about sous vide is that it is a rather gentle way of cooking, and allows a fair amount of "leeway."
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Chief Mac

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 10:40:42 PM »
Well, I think I got it. The meat or item cooking duration is determined by the water temperature and the weight of the item unfrozen. So, if it is frozen add and extra hour to the cooking time? If the frozen item is a 6 or 7 lbs roast would an hour extra in the bath be sufficient? I do not want to get into particular scenarios yet, but just a general idea.   ???  ???  ???
CM
Weber Genesis E-320
PBC
GrillGrates
Anova--Sous Vide Device

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 10:51:57 PM »
The rule of thumb I go by is 1 hourminimum per inch of thickness @ the desired finished temperature of the item being cooked. I use thickness - not weight.
 Example: 2 inch thick steaks - I want them medium rare. I set the temp to 130F, and cook for at least 2 hours.  Actually - I will double the cook times because I don't worry about over-cooking the meat. We are cooking AT the finished temp for IT using Sous Vide.

Hope that helps!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 10:57:39 PM »
Nice Mike, really nice!!

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Chief Mac

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 11:00:41 PM »
Tee
Yes, that does make more sense to me, Thanks.  :)
CM
Weber Genesis E-320
PBC
GrillGrates
Anova--Sous Vide Device

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 11:04:19 PM »
One of the most confusing things for me when I started to cook with sous vide was temperature and time (ok 2 things...) It is a very different way of thinking. As Tim says, we are cooking at the FINISHED temp - so higher tempos are not needed. Now it becomes time. Both to get the food to the taste we want and make it safe. There are some excellent charts out there, and on this forum, that will help you with that. If starting from cold or frozen, more time may be needed. But as many folks have pointed out, in most cases this is not a problem - an extra hour or more is usually not a problem. You will find all sorts of advice on the net - I suggest you start with one of the charts and work from there. It seems there are no hard and fast rules, but the method is so forgiving, you can go longer if you are concerned and will likely be ok.
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Chief Mac

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 11:08:58 PM »
Thanks, DR I will start looking for the charts also.   :)
CM
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 11:18:06 PM by Chief Mac »
Weber Genesis E-320
PBC
GrillGrates
Anova--Sous Vide Device

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 11:11:24 PM »
Member #

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2015, 02:19:09 AM »
Looks good! I was a day late on the amazon deal,need to check in more. :-\
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2015, 04:31:28 AM »
Excellent looking meal.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2015, 06:50:01 AM »
I took advantage of the $99 deal on the Anova One. Still have not had a chance to play with mine. I do have a DSV already.

Mike great job on the chops and corn!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven