Author Topic: Cooking surfaces for Anova Sous Vide Devices  (Read 4032 times)

Offline Chief Mac

Cooking surfaces for Anova Sous Vide Devices
« Reply #-1 on: June 26, 2015, 08:53:37 AM »
Now that I have my Anova  Sous device and ready to get into some serious experimenting, I stumbled across a few articles one in the Anova users manual about cooking surfaces. The articles recommend that the cooking vessels not be placed on a marble or Corian surfaces and did not consider a stove top of any kind safe for extended cooking times. Well using a metal pot I can understand the heat transfer and not recommending stoves  because of water, electricity, flames and high heat from cooking other foods. So what do you Anova and other Souse devices users recommend as an insulating device for the water vessels? I was thinking along the lines of a bamboo or polypropylene cutting board a 1/2" thick would help insulate the vessel from the counter top. Any ideas would be appreciated.  :)  :)
Chief Mac

Weber Genesis E-320
Charbroil - CB600X Gas Smoker
Landmann Smoky Mountain Electric Smoker
PBC
14" Kingsford Charcoal Take Anywhere Grill
A Maz N Tube Smoker 6" & 12"
GrillGrates
Anova--Sous Vide Device

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
Re: Cooking surfaces for Anova Sous Vide Devices
« on: June 26, 2015, 09:00:53 AM »
I'd think something as simple as a thick bath towel folded and placed under your vessel would make a huge difference.  Another idea would be to buy a set of insulated pot holders and lay them underneath your vessel.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 09:14:43 AM »
My main Anova cooking container is a Calphalon 12qt stock pot. I use a metal trivet under the base (mine is actually the anodized version - was half this price) - stable and protects my countertop.

[attachment deleted by admin]

You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 09:24:55 AM »
I use a silicone mat with bumps on the top of it.  works great for me. I do most stuff in the 140º range so it doesn't get that hot. I have cast iron grates on my stove so not had any problems.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline hikerman

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 09:25:21 AM »
I cut a piece of Celotex insulated board a few inches longer and wider than the footprint of my cambro tub. It is foil-covered styrofoam used in home building. Works great.
My "small" tub is an enamelware canning pot that I made a coozy for by using Reflectix on the sides and bottom. It can be removed for cleaning.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 11:14:01 AM by hikerman »

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 11:04:40 AM »
I personally don't think that normal range SV temps will cause any damage. Well over 200F would be required. But if a snafu happens with the controller things could get hot real fast.

I think just simply using towels like Cliff stated would be fine. Or some pot mats or holders.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline hikerman

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 11:16:33 AM »
I agree about the temps not being hot enough to cause any damage Mike. But insulation allows my Anova to work a bit easier by maintaining temps longer than if uninsulated.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 02:53:28 PM »
I agree about the temps not being hot enough to cause any damage Mike. But insulation allows my Anova to work a bit easier by maintaining temps longer than if uninsulated.

You know me Gene I always live on the dangerous side. I plan on bucking the system and keeping my containers un-insulated :P

Especially the cool new clear Cambro container I just ordered :)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Chief Mac

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 03:24:11 PM »
All
Thanks for your input and ideas. At this moment I have the Anova running in a 8 qt. pot and I am at 160 deg which I will run for 60 min. I have a silicone mats, like a trivet  under the pan to see how the counter top temps might be affected.  Well the hour is over and I had the Kitchen Commander take a look and feel and she was not convinced that a long cook of over 2-4 Hrs is safe for the counter top. So I will do a little more testing to convince her that the heat can be deflected or dissipated by the material between the pot and counter top. 
We had an incident with the glass top range this week that may or may not have been caused by me. So I will need to make sure that I can build up her confidence that counter top can stay cooler than what she felt. So again  thanks, and I will run some of your ideas and see what makes works the best.

Thanks
CM
Weber Genesis E-320
PBC
GrillGrates
Anova--Sous Vide Device

Offline Pappymn

Cooking surfaces for Anova Sous Vide Devices
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 03:49:38 PM »

You know me Gene I always live on the dangerous side. I plan on bucking the system and keeping my containers un-insulated :P

Especially the cool new clear Cambro container I just ordered :)

That cambro is great for brining turkey too
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Chief Mac

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 05:19:35 PM »
I cut a piece of Celotex insulated board a few inches longer and wider than the footprint of my cambro tub. It is foil-covered styrofoam used in home building. Works great.
My "small" tub is an enamelware canning pot that I made a coozy for by using Reflectix on the sides and bottom. It can be removed for cleaning.
Hikerman
I am familiar with Celotex but can you tell me what is Reflectix?
Thanks
 CM
Weber Genesis E-320
PBC
GrillGrates
Anova--Sous Vide Device

Offline hikerman

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2015, 05:42:01 PM »
Hikerman
I am familiar with Celotex but can you tell me what is Reflectix?
Thanks
 CM

Sure. Reflectix is a type of radiant-barrier insulation. It's used to wrap ductwork amongst other things. Easy to work with.  Comes in many sizes and lengths. I used the 12" X 25'. I used it for my Cambro top and tub and then made this coozy for a canning pot. I got it at Menard's.

Offline Chief Mac

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2015, 08:20:36 PM »
Thanks for the info Hikerman. I will look at those 2 items once I decide what container I will use. But I like the idea you got working.   8)
Thanks
CM
Weber Genesis E-320
PBC
GrillGrates
Anova--Sous Vide Device

Offline DWard51

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2015, 10:29:32 PM »
I've got a couple of these coming that should make great SV containers.  Stainless lined cambro like beverage dispensers.

http://www.unclesamsretailoutlet.com/Beverage-Container-3-Gallon-p/6206.htm

Offline Chief Mac

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2015, 11:19:35 AM »
I've got a couple of these coming that should make great SV containers.  Stainless lined cambro like beverage dispensers.

http://www.unclesamsretailoutlet.com/Beverage-Container-3-Gallon-p/6206.htm
This is a good idea DWard a little pricey but they are energy efficient, insulated and will last forever.  8)  8)
CM
Weber Genesis E-320
PBC
GrillGrates
Anova--Sous Vide Device