Author Topic: BB Ham Ribs, 3 beans w/Jowl Bacon and fresh Corn  (Read 1885 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
BB Ham Ribs, 3 beans w/Jowl Bacon and fresh Corn
« Reply #-1 on: July 11, 2015, 01:14:08 AM »
Jul 10 2015

I found this recipe on Saveur for ham cured ribs by Chef Chris Shepherd of Underbelly in Houston.
I had high hopes for them but they came out too salty and I even cut the salt some in the brine. I halved the recipe and used 5/8 cup instead of ¾ cup for the half gallon of water. The next time I will try 1/3 cup since that is what I use in my standard brine.

My BBribs also were not the best. I bought them at my butchers and they were double wrapped and frozen. When I got them I thought they were a little shorter than normal, but they were thick. When I thawed and unwrapped there were two short racks. One looked pretty nice but the other looked like half ribs and half back strap. I cut them in half for my brining pot. They would still do and plenty for the wife and me.

My brine mix was half gallon of water, 5/8 cups of coarse salt and a tablespoon of pink salt, insta cure #1. The ribs were in the brine for 3 days. Anyone’s thoughts on the brine and time are appreciated. After brining I rinsed well and dried, seasoned with just a little Blues Hog rub and in the fridge several hours before smoking.

I had planned on 4 ½ hours for the ribs; 2 hours at 180 deg. and the rest on 235 deg. After two hours I went to 235 deg. and my Savannah Stoker controller settled in at a steady 250 to 255 deg. at grill level.
I had read at several good BBQ sites that the ideal IT for rib was 180 to 190 deg. At 3 hours I checked the temp with my grey thermopen and it was 180 to 185 deg. I thought another 1 ½ hours they will be too done so I went back to 220 deg. I should have remembered Old Dave takes his to 208 in the wrapped stage and mine ended up being underdone.

The ribs were supposed to be glazed with a mustard and molasses sauce. My sample package of Blues Hog came today and one was their Honey Mustard sauce so I used that instead of making my own. I used it on one piece for but I used Kah’s BBQ sauce on two for the wife, she doesn’t like mustard sauces.
I left the piece that looked like back strap plain.

I sauced them with 50 minutes left and tented with foil and let rest 10 minutes before cutting up. I liked the mustard sauced one pretty good and not to mustardy tasting. I always like the Kah’s BBQ sauce.

I thought the beans were extra good, even though the wife didn’t care for them. I thought they had a nice balance of the sweet, sour and heat. I knew the Sutters corn would be good, fresh picked today and my first of the season. I steamed them in my rice cooker and we had butter, Penzey’s sandwich sprinkle and parmesan cheese on them.

Link to rib recipe http://www.saveur.com/mustard-glazed-ham-ribs-recipe
Google underbelly Houston and look at their menu's that's a place I could visit several times to taste all the goodies.

Ribs after brining

For the beans

Ready to sauce

Smokin Don

Bean recipe:

3beans w jowl bacon

3 15 oz. cans of beans, drained, I used pinto, red and cannellini
1 can Rotel tomatoes
3 to 4 tablespoons BBQ sauce
3 tablespoons molasses, I used Grandma’s
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon hot sauce, I used Cholula
1 heaping teaspoon Blues Hog Rub
Salt and pepper to taste
½ sweet onion chopped
½ bell pepper, diced
Jowl bacon diced

I chose to do mine in a Crockpot and was on low for about six hours.

I had pre-cooked the bacon some on my smoker then finished browning in a skillet, added the onions and peppers and cooked about 5 minutes. I deglazed it with some beer and added to the Crockpot.

The last hour I set it to high and cracked the lid to thicken some.

Note: All the tablespoons were heaping.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 02:07:24 AM by Smokin Don »
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
Re: BB Ham Ribs, 3 beans w/Jowl Bacon and fresh Corn
« on: July 11, 2015, 08:01:52 AM »
Don,
You're killing me with all these meals using jowl bacon.  My mouth starts watering with the mere mention of jowl bacon.  I am going to have to go by my butcher shop and see if they have any.

Everything as usual looks wonderful!!  Plate me!!

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Pappymn

BB Ham Ribs, 3 beans w/Jowl Bacon and fresh Corn
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 09:52:02 AM »
Looks great from here
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 10:13:39 AM »
I'm hungry now, and my lunch (St. Louis spares and a brisket point) won't be ready for a couple of hours.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 12:32:09 PM »
Letting Don have access to Jowl bacon is just plain magic. Your cooks just get better and better my friend.

Any houses for sale on your street?  ;)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 02:00:40 PM »
Another awesome cook Don!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 03:02:34 PM »
Wow!

I love it!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven