General > General Discussion

We need YOUR input........

(1/10) > >>

teesquare:
We have been talking about how much fun the Fall Gathering in Augusta is. Ask anyone that has attended. I am confident that they will tell you  - it is about as much fun as one can have and not wind up in jail :D.
Seriously, when you combine great cooking and great people - what else can you expect but a GREAT TIME!

So - thinking caps on please - we are looking for additional locations to create more events like the Gathering.  What we are looking for are locations that have facilities to accommodate people AND cooking. Campgrounds may be a nice solution to this - but we are open to suggestions from you all.

It is not all just great food - or great fellowship. We will offer classes in many topics that we can all benefit from.

SOME  of the things NEEDED:

1. Areas for camping and parking of tents/R.V.s. 

2. Shade. Having done my share of "pavement BBQ" contests - I think this is highly under-rated as an asset.

3. Showers and other "indoor" plumbing - we love the smell of food...but the cooks want to cool down occasionally. And we all need that "special little room" to be available;D

4. Family and handicap - Friendly environment -  tho we have not had any children or folks with special needs  at the F.G. thus far, I think we need to make effort to accommodate anyone that wants to attend.

5. Water, electricity, waste disposal - gotta have it just to be safe, comfortable and clean!

Now - some "wants" :

1. Really nice scenery for all to enjoy

2. Close proximity to grocers

3. playgrounds, and family entertainment centers - just in case there are families that need to give the little ones a break....

4. Hospitals or emergent care clinics - hope we never need these, but we are dealing with knives, and fire.....'nuff said? ;)

Please feel free to add in YOUR desires, and suggestions. I am sure Barry will come along and help guide the thread and give us his insight on how we can expand the fun - and make these event available to everyone. Maybe we call 'em...."Let's Talk BBQ"? or "Welcome to the Cookout!" :D :D :D

T

Merrick Bill:
If you're thinking about SoCal as a possible location, the CBBQA holds their annual Q-fest at Lake Puddingstone, East Shore RV, San Dimas, California every February.  It's a really nice place, and has all the needs that you listed.  I don't know about all the wants, but I'm pretty sure most are also available there.

bill

LostArrow:
Tenpiont & Nepas have experience organizing & both had small events in their backyards.
Get them to chime in!

nepas:
All good info for a Q.

Like at the SOTG Gathering i think a small group is better. This way we can all mingle and talk. My last smokeout was 38 people of the 50 that said were going to show up, and i just had a hard time talking to folks. Things happen and life gets in the way.

Most of the KOA's will let you reserve the rec room and areas for a gathering. However like tee said, Close to a populated area with clean facilities, grocery, fuel and libation soda/water  ;D Hotels for those who dont like to rough it.

Pam Gould:
I agree with Rick on this one..a small gathering is the best. You get a chance to meet and get to know the people. It's the people that matter. Everyone was wonderful..I met old friends again and made new ones. Like someone said.."a family reunion without the drama".
 I loved the sausage demonstration..confirming what I already knew, but picking up tricks that I didnt' know..he forgot more than I will ever know..geez..but he makes good stuff.
I remember the smoky smell, the laughing and the food. I like the facilities, but I am kinda an outdoor girl. Donna and I couldn't have been much more comfortable unless we had a maid. But we are used to camping. We can't wait until next year and are looking forward to it already. We even have our reservations in for our cabin, a year in advance. Pam .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version