Author Topic: Tom Yum Thai Soup (And YUM it was!)  (Read 2909 times)

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
Tom Yum Thai Soup (And YUM it was!)
« Reply #-1 on: October 13, 2015, 12:12:13 PM »
I was searching around online for a good Pho soup base, and found some that had a good rating.  The company also makes a Tom Yum soup base, so I nabbed a jar of that while I was at it.  Last night was a bit chilly, so I thought it would be a nice evening to try it!   You use 1 teaspoon of base mix per cup of water. 

Tom Yum soup is an amazing combination of salty, spicy, sweet, and sour flavors, and James and I almost always get it when we go out for Thai food.  Our favorite place usually includes mushrooms, tomatoes, thinly sliced chicken, and onion.

I wanted to add some ginger flavor to the mix as well, so I sliced a bit up and used a tea strainer so I didn't have to fish ginger chunks out of the soup later.

Sauteed up some mushrooms in butter, then did the same with some onions and a few huge tomatoes from our garden.

I added everything into the pot, got it good and simmering, then put in some small chunks of white fish I had kicking around in the freezer.

Brought the soup up to a boil, stirring it with my ginger strainer ball, then served it with some basil and green onions on top.

I have to say, for being just a soup base mix, it was DANG good.  James said he couldn't tell the different between it and what we get at the restaurant.  I'm excited to try their Pho soup mix now too!  Nice to have a shortcut, since we don't have any good Asian markets nearby that carry things like ox tail, galangal and kaffir lime leaves. 
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline Smokerjunky

Re: Tom Yum Thai Soup (And YUM it was!)
« on: October 13, 2015, 12:21:02 PM »
Oh man that looks good.  Perfect time of year for soup!
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 01:05:53 PM »
It's soup time here too and that looks good!!! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 01:13:33 PM »
I will have to be on the lookout for that and give it a whirl if I ever find a good thai place.  That looks good, soup weather soon here!
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 01:38:27 PM »
I love Thai soups, but hate going out too often - this looks great. I will look for it at my local Asian market. Thanks!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 02:20:29 PM »
Still too hot here to consider it soup weather, but I'd still eat it.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Pappymn

Tom Yum Thai Soup (And YUM it was!)
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 03:29:55 PM »
That looks awesome. Great idea on the ginger
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 04:20:28 PM »
Sure looks yummy Kat.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 04:31:02 PM »
Still too hot here to consider it soup weather, but I'd still eat it.

X2!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 04:56:59 PM »
Thanks for this post Kat - I will look for the soup base!

I love Thai soups, but hate going out too often - this looks great. I will look for it at my local Asian market. Thanks!

You and Pappy have the BEST Asian market that I have ever been to - there in the Twin Cities.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 04:58:45 PM »
Thanks for this post Kat - I will look for the soup base!

You and Pappy have the BEST Asian market that I have ever been to - there in the Twin Cities.

Yes, we do. I love the fresh veggies & herbs as well as the seafood, oh and all the other stuff... dang, we are spoiled!
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2015, 05:37:50 PM »
I am Jealous!!!! I used to live less than a mile from a GREAT market that had just a mind boggling array of veggies, fish, meats and all sorts of other treasures.   We used to get conch for ceviche, crawdad meat for etouffee, squid for fresh calamari....   

Of course the meat section was always eye opening-- gallon jugs of ox blood, pig uterus, pig snouts, pig bung... still haven't had the stomach to look up exactly what kind of recipes call for using those particular part of the pig...  Although I do enjoy envisioning myself standing over a pot of something, taking a spoon taste, and being able to say "Hmmmm.... needs just a tad more bung."  :D

I think that store is probably one of the only things I miss about living in the city!! :) 

MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2015, 05:48:17 PM »
I am Jealous!!!! I used to live less than a mile from a GREAT market that had just a mind boggling array of veggies, fish, meats and all sorts of other treasures.   We used to get conch for ceviche, crawdad meat for etouffee, squid for fresh calamari....   

Of course the meat section was always eye opening-- gallon jugs of ox blood, pig uterus, pig snouts, pig bung... still haven't had the stomach to look up exactly what kind of recipes call for using those particular part of the pig...  Although I do enjoy envisioning myself standing over a pot of something, taking a spoon taste, and being able to say "Hmmmm.... needs just a tad more bung."  :D

I think that store is probably one of the only things I miss about living in the city!! :)
We even have raw Durian fruit!
Member #