Author Topic: Gyro meat Recipe  (Read 37233 times)

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
Gyro meat Recipe
« Reply #-1 on: October 14, 2015, 02:33:40 AM »
A request for post of recipe section for the gyro meat kabobs I made the other day.

Before I get started I would like to point out, I don't really measure anything out when I am cooking so I am always tasting as I go until I like the flavoring, and salt I use is kosher salt unless otherwise noted. In my kitchen I have a container of salt and pepper mixture I make that I use for seasoning (2/3 salt, 1/3 pepper).

When I make anything with ground meat I usually like to make sure it is icy cold and even semi frozen to keep the ground texture intact.  When the meat warms during the mixing process the fats in the meat melts, making the mixture homogeneous, and as my exec. chefs says, spongy. Really this is personal preference so that step is really up to your application. 

Ingredients:
Lamb
Onion
Garlic
Oregeno (fresh is prefered, mainly for appearance)
Cumin
Ground Coriander
Lemon
Salt and pepper

To get started, finely mince and chop garlic and onion and add to a mixing bowl.  The onion you can even use a box grater if you like, but when using ground meat bigger chunks of onion adds great flavor but works against you in keeping the formed shape intact without falling apart.  Rough chop oregano and add to the onion and garlic mixture, along with salt and pepper.  To the mixing bowl I like to add a touch more coriander than cumin but pretty much almost equal parts.  Add some lemon zest and a squeeze of half the lemon to the seasonings mixture, and mix everything together before adding the ground lamb that way you aren't heating the lamb up as much when mixing the ingredients.

Once you have everything mixed, remove about a quarter sized ball from the  mixture and cook on in a frying pan to taste, once satisfied with taste let rest in fridge or freezer while you get the grill/rotisserie ready.  When the cooking device is started form your meat into desired shape or form to kabob skewers and place into freezer until the cooking device is hot and ready.

Once cooked place meat onto warmed pita bread (doesn't have to be inside the pocket you can use the bread as a wrap too!) with your choice of toppings, for me it is Lettuce, tomato, Onion, and tzatziki sauce.  Enjoy!

Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
Re: Gyro meat Recipe
« on: October 14, 2015, 02:55:33 AM »
Looks real good..thanks for recipe.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Gyro meat Recipe
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 07:43:16 AM »
Thanks for sharing.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS