Author Topic: Goat Ribs!  (Read 37455 times)

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
Goat Ribs!
« Reply #-1 on: October 23, 2015, 06:12:20 PM »
My most recent goat meat project was experimenting with the ribs.  I had some baby back pork ribs I wanted to cook last weekend, so figured I'd give the goat ribs a shot too while I was at it, to see how they would compare.

Here are the two sections that were in one package.

I pulled the membrane off the babybacks and the goat-- BOY was that a pain in the neck.... It was like trying to pull spider webs off-- the membrane was very thin and delicate, so it took a bit of doing.  I didn't bother trimming much, since there's not much on them to begin with! 

I prepared them both basically the same way:  put a 50/50 mix of MAK Sweet rub and Chipotle rub on both sides, and put them on the grill on SMOKE mode. 

I let them go for about 2 1/2 hours before I checked on them:

I pulled the goat ribs after another hour, since they were so skinny, and put them in the cold smoker box while the pork ribs finished up.   I painted a bit of sauce on the babybacks during the last bit of the cook, then had to sample one of the goat ribs before handing them out for dinner.

Halfway through my taste test:

Not too dang bad!!!   Obviously not a ton of meat on them, but it was great flavor, good texture, and really kinda fun to munch on the bones!! 
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Goat Ribs!
« on: October 23, 2015, 06:30:11 PM »
Spot on with your take IMO.  Not a ton of meat, but damn tasty when done right.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline hikerman

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 08:00:12 PM »
Interesting Kat! Never have tried goat before. The opportunity just has never occurred, but I surely would give it a go! Those ribs look and sound great!

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 08:08:35 PM »
I would like to try that one of these days.  Several years ago Tee (mostly) and I cooked some goat.  We served pulled goat at a Saturday event in Brevard.  It turned out to be delicious.  We actually ran out.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 09:50:19 PM »
Dang they look good Kat!!! I been wanting to try goat for ages, I might have a place located about an hour away to get some. Unless you can ship me one of your goats!  ::)  :D Don
Oh I like the kicked back barefoot position for eating goat ribs!
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/